New at the gym

Options
Hi,

I have just joined a gym and whilst I've been introduced to the machines Im not sure how exactly to plan my week at the gym to help me lose weight. I'm 5"7 female and weigh 70kg and most of my weight it carried around my thighs and bum. I really want to get that shifted and because of work commitments can probably manage 3 days a week max at the gym. What would be the most effective use of my time when I'm there? I'm desperate to get in to shape as I have been so down about it and now I've made the step I want to make sure I follow the best routine!

Any help would be very much appreciated!:smile:

Replies

• jjjbeans111
    Options
    Hi Tamarynm,

First of all, you are just awesome bc of your motivation and starting this journey, keep up the good work!

I would give each machine at the gym a whirl and see which you enjoy most, or gives you the least discomfort so that you are more likely to go back to that machine in tthe future and spend longer on that machine as well. But try to use a few machines so you can get a good exercise coverage of different body parts. If there is a track, you can do a couple of laps jog/run/walk, get your heartrate up. Also give the weights a try to build strength, starting off with a weight you can do about 10 repetitions, and maybe 3 to 5 sets of that throughout your workout.

Then stretch the muscles you've worked.

So in essence, your workout could be split into 3 parts:
    cardiovascular part - 20 to 30 mins on machine/track
    strength building - 10 -15 mins using weights
    stretch and cooldown - 5 mins

Over time you might increase the workout times but this might be a good start. Also a good playlist of music really helps combat the monotony of the machines.

All the best!

Jenbeans
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I would skip the machines, and do a barbell routine. I'd check out Starting Strength or StrongLifts or possibly New Rules Of Lifting For Women (although I hear that's complicated. No first hand knowledge there, sorry.)

3 days a week is recommended for both SS and SL, should only take a short period of time, and will give you great results very quickly. Compound exercises like the Squat move many joints through a full range of motion, and are the most natural, and effective ways to train, from what I've found & read. And there are LOTS of women on here that can tell you all about the success they've had lifting.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/987513-lifting-is-the-most-horrible-thing-to-a-woman-since-twiggy
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,299 Member
    Options
    our local gym has trainers. One session every 6 weeks is included. If you have that facility I would ask to have an appointment. We have the choice of male and female trainers. The chosen person advises you on the kind of workouts they recommend for the outcome you want.

hope this helps. all the best