Working out still feels like a chore.

Options
I’m “trying" to do the 30DS. I did the first 3 days and then I just stopped. It feels like so much effort to do. But I need to do it cos I just really need to lose inches and build up muscle, so I can fit into a bodycon dress and be happy with the way it looks by my 21st birthday in October.

I just keep putting it off. Like I've got my yoga mat and weights sitting on the floor permanently ready to do it but I just don't want to.

How do I make working out more fun?

Replies

• LoveHummingbirds
    Options
    Working out always felt like a chore until I found something that I love. I really like group fitness classes and love Zumba! It's so much fun and doesn't feel like a workout to me.
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Pick something you enjoy (I prefer classes, there's a good vibe and no escape without looking bad) or reward yourself after - so plan your workout before a programme you enjoy or before you go out with the girls etc...
  • x311Tifa
    x311Tifa Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Find something that doesn't feel like work. Also, keep in mind not everyone enjoys working out. Most of the time I have to ask one of my friends to b*tch me out into going to the gym (totally did that today). It's not always fun, you won't always want to do it, but something I am learning is that you won't reach any goals being a coach potato. Hence why I gained 60lbs working in fast food. My *kitten* never moved, but my waist sure did! Now I'm forcing myself to get to where I was and beyond.

Also, for me, whenever I am playing sports with friends, I feel like I could go forever. It no longer feels like exercise. Find that thing that makes you go "huh, that was fun!" (that or, sadly, suck it up and trudge to the gym or through the video).
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Summer is my favorite time because I workout in the pool. Its fun and you don't sweat. :)
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Find something you enjoy more :) I tried the 30 day shred made it 2 days and didn't like it... so I zumba, play volley ball, lift, swim... none of those feel like a chore to me... 30 day shred isn't required to look great so It may just not be your thing :)
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Don't do 30DS if you don't enjoy it. Put on some music and dance stupidly around the room. Mow the lawn. Go swimming. Find something that you enjoy, instead of doing what everyone else is doing.

My boyfriend and I had a bike race the other night, because we could. It was fun!
  • KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn
    KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Do you like dancing? Try Zumba or a dance DVD. Swimming is a good way to get in a workout. If you have a friend who likes to workout have them do circuit training with you. I hate feeling that way about exercise! :yawn:
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I never want to go to the gym but it's better than being stuck where I'm at...
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I think it becomes more fun when you notice that things are easier for you or when you notice the changes in how you look and feel. For some people, it never really becomes "fun" but other things in life are more fun because of the improved fitness. To start with, you just have to make a conscious choice to make that investment of time and energy in yourself, and for some people, it remains that way. Brushing your teeth isn't fun, either, but we do it because of the many health benefits we derive from it.
  • BlackBeltInTraining
    BlackBeltInTraining Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Approach working out with a smile, it can certainly be fun! Grab some friends and things can end up being awesome. I'm a marital arts instructor, so I'm quite biased, but I do recommend perhaps getting involved in a workout class or club. Martial arts is only one example of this, perhaps a running club, or even just an early bird workout class would be a good idea. With friends and others that have similar goals as you, who are willing to motivate you, certainly makes things much, much better. Hang in there and perhaps try changing things up, working out should never be a chore, but instead something fun that you are often willing to engage in. :)
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Find something you like. Work out with a friend.
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    that's normal
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Don't stop 30DS! I know it sounds crazy, but it gets better after day 4. That's what everyone said when I did it and I didn't believe it, but it turned out to be true. Day 4 is like the magical day lol.

Anyway, I understand what you mean. A lot of people say that once they start exercising they just absolutely love it and can't imagine life without it. That has never happened for me, and I've been working out for a solid year now. However, I have found exercise that I at least find bearable and somewhat satisfying. For example, I really enjoy lifting weights because I can actually SEE the results when I'm able to increase the amount I lift, or when I notice some more muscle definition in my body. I also enjoy classes like Zumba or Kickboxing because it doesn't really feel like a workout.

Just try a bunch of different stuff and see what works for you. There's dancing (even dance video games you can do at home!), boxing, swimming, biking, lifting weights, calisthenics, sports, power walking, etc etc. Exercise doesn't have to mean going running for miles or doing Jillian Michaels DVDs :)
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Find things u like to do....it won't feel like work!

I love dancing! After visiting Puerto Rico, I decided to take up Salsa! Great deals on groupon.com and livingsocial.com
    I wore my heart rate monitor one night dancing and burned 800 cals in 3hrs! You know there is no such thing as a slow salsa song! Lol! checkout my Youtube video several months ago, I'm much better now!

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=MATZ2qgTT-k&desktop_uri=/watch?v=MATZ2qgTT-k&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Also, group fitness classes at my gym, like Zumba, Insanity and even water aerobic is fun and good to add variety to keep it fresh, fun and your wont know whats going on and u will have to drop and tone!

Have fun!

Shannon, Atlanta
  • sarah5893
    sarah5893 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I agree, try some classes, especially zumba!!
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    You don't want it bad enough. Suck it up and do it.
  • jaedwa1
    jaedwa1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    For motivation, I focus on how I'm going to feel when the workout is done. Sometimes I drag my feet getting to the gym...sometimes I even want to cry when I see what the workout is going to entail. But when it is over, I FEEL FANTASTIC! Never fails.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i'm not a work out indoors kind of person.

i'd rather ride my bike 30 miles then sit on a stationary bike for 30 minutes. 1 mile on the treadmill is all i can do before i stop; but i can do 13 miles outdoors.

strength training or yoga is the only thing i can do indoors. and yes, i mean real strength training, not jillian micheals dvds. and yes, i've done jillian micheals dvds.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Swimming (go to a water park)
    Zip lining
    Skating or Rollerblading
    Hiking (while camping is even better)
    River Tubing
    Walking (explore a new town or go to an amusement park)
    Jumping on a Trampoline
    Lazer Tag or Paint Ball (but don't spend your time hiding)
    Racketball
    Join a fitness challenge
    Buy a motivating pedometer (fitbit, striiv, etc)
  • morpheousneo
    morpheousneo Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Find something that doesn't feel like work. Also, keep in mind not everyone enjoys working out. Most of the time I have to ask one of my friends to b*tch me out into going to the gym (totally did that today). It's not always fun, you won't always want to do it, but something I am learning is that you won't reach any goals being a coach potato. Hence why I gained 60lbs working in fast food. My *kitten* never moved, but my waist sure did! Now I'm forcing myself to get to where I was and beyond.

Also, for me, whenever I am playing sports with friends, I feel like I could go forever. It no longer feels like exercise. Find that thing that makes you go "huh, that was fun!" (that or, sadly, suck it up and trudge to the gym or through the video).

^^^ Yep, this is me. The only workouts that do not feel like a chore to me are walking and dancing. Weights are a little better actually. Tae-bo I do 3 times per week and it is torture to me but my body thanks me in the end. I just psyche myself up or just grit my teeth, zone out and get it over with.