Trouble getting my calories on liquid diet

Hey guys, I hope you can help me. I've been put on a liquid/mushy food diet for two weeks following a jaw operation :/.

I have real trouble hitting my calories. I'm still allowed to exercise and I am a dancer, so I'm burning quite a lot each day. My trouble is that I have a fairly weak/nervous stomach, and I cannot take much fat (therefore, stuff like shakes are off the menu), and I also can't face liquidised meat etc.
Any ideas? I cannot eat spicy, sour or salty.
Thanks!

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Add as many fats as you can. Avodado is great and good for you too! Mix it with your favourite milk maybe add some cocoa.
  • Tinyfigure
    Tinyfigure Posts: 575 Member
    Oh, I forgot to say that I'm also allergic to peanuts and soya. Therefore tofu etc is off the menu as well. I'm currently getting around 800cal - I would like to get to around 1200, but I'm struggling for ideas.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    There are some good protein powders out there that can give you some extra protein and calories. I find that muscle milk is particularly tasty (and soy free, if memory serves).
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    soups with potatoes as the base.

cream of anything soups.

smoothies with bananas and greek yogurt and almond milk or whatnot.

additions like honey, agave, coconut oil, avocados to the aforementioned.

BTW you have a LOT of restrictions on what you can eat even before the jaw surgery. Call your surgeons office and tell him all the things you cannot eat and why so he can tell you what you should eat. His office can recommend you to a nutritionist that can help you reach your goals.

Starbucks recently has juices that are good.

Superfood from naked juice or green machine are both yummy.
  • Tinyfigure
    As a ballerina I can't build excess muscle, so excess protein is pretty useless.
    I wouldn't call two allergies "a lot of restrictions", but I guess that most of you guys here rely on pb to get some more cals :D
  • MyChocolateDiet
    As a ballerina I can't build excess muscle, so excess protein is pretty useless.
    I wouldn't call two allergies "a lot of restrictions", but I guess that most of you guys here rely on pb to get some more cals :D

not just the two allergies (i've only ever heard of someone having one at a time) but also the tummy troubles on top of that and the "no spicy, sour, salty" limits. wish your surgeon knew all this before operating on your jaw so he could suggest a good eating/drinking plan. I'd seriously call him or email him.

ETA:

Mushy foods

cream of wheat
    oatmeal
    grits
    polenta
    mashed potatoes
    fake cauliflower mashed potatoes
    gravy
    cheese sauces
    rice pudding
    pudding
    tapioca
    hummus with soft bread
    bean dips
    soft cooked zucchini and squash
    spaghetti sauce with the above
    fruit spreads
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Complan, Fortisip, Fortijuice, Scandishake. Can be mixed with milk or water. You'll have to investigate the ingredients to check for your intolerances but they're the sort of things people who aren't eating enough are given (elderly, kids, cancer patients...).
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    If you need some meat in, corned beef mixed with mashed potatoes is very soft and tasty. It's called "stovies". Heavy meal though. Not something to eat before dancing!
  • Tinyfigure
    People with hayfever often have 10+ allergies :)
    Thanks for the suggestions guys, some are really really helpful. My surgeon was aware of all this, but she doesn't work with a nutritionist so she cannot recommend anything, apart from the usual (mashed potatoes, rice pudding)..
    Thanks again..
  • MyChocolateDiet
    People with hayfever often have 10+ allergies :)
    Thanks for the suggestions guys, some are really really helpful. My surgeon was aware of all this, but she doesn't work with a nutritionist so she cannot recommend anything, apart from the usual (mashed potatoes, rice pudding)..
    Thanks again..

Yeah my sister has hayfever. She had her arm poked to test and had a bunch of allergies...but none to food.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Hey guys, I hope you can help me. I've been put on a liquid/mushy food diet for two weeks following a jaw operation :/.

I have real trouble hitting my calories. I'm still allowed to exercise and I am a dancer, so I'm burning quite a lot each day. My trouble is that I have a fairly weak/nervous stomach, and I cannot take much fat (therefore, stuff like shakes are off the menu), and I also can't face liquidised meat etc.
    Any ideas? I cannot eat spicy, sour or salty.
    Thanks!

I love V8 Fusion. You can also make your own smoothies with Greek Yogurt and any fruits and vegetables that you like.
  • Since you're allergic to peanuts you could use almond butter or make some cashews by soaking them overnight and then blending them. That will add extra calories. And avocado, too, like some other users have said. Mashed sweet potato can also add some calories, especially if you put butter on it. Can you eat oatmeal? That can also add calories if you use milk in it and have a large enough serving.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    You won't be building excess muscle unless you're eating over your TDEE (which you're not, because you're struggling to even meet your goal) and really trying.
  • dlegros
    dlegros Posts: 162 Member

Simply taking in protein won't cause muscle synthesis. So you could still try protein shakes as a calorie source - especially if you blend in some oat flour.
    From my diary - 2 Scoop ImpactWhey with 1/4C oat flour made with 300ml semi-skim (2%) milk = 500cal approx

You could increase or decrease calories by adding coconut milk, using less oats, using water instead of milk.

Blending in fruits can adjust the nutrition profile - you just have to get creative :smile:

Hope this helps you some and good luck for your operation.
  • Hi I might suggest you check with your local hospital. They usually have a nutritionist on staff and the often give FREE programs to help. Call them up and check it out. Good luck