Do you log your gum?

Options
yaseyuku
yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
Lately I've been chewing a lot of gum (at about 4-5 calories per piece, depending on the brand) in order to stop myself from snacking when I'm not really hungry just because I want some taste.

At first I'd log all of the gum, but lately I've been kind of lazy with it and wonder if there is really a point. The entire packs are usually about 28 calories or so and I have less than a pack a day.

Do you guys log things like gum? Or even black coffee?

Replies

• alecialudwickjones
    Options
    How close are you to your goal every day? If you're exercising how accurate are your numbers?

I dont log gum/altoids or coffee. I've been using these rather than smoking but it's maybe, MAYBE 3 each per day. My fitbit calculates burns and I suspect its low (at least enough for this).
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    If you're using MFP's defaults, you're eating at a deficit of several hundred calories. Even if you exactly eat all your calories for a day, a few unlogged pieces of gum are not going to make that up. At worst, you might slow your loss down a little. As long as you're not neglecting to log a lot of little things, I wouldn't worry about it. I never log my gum, and it hasn't stopped me, but it is the only thing that I don't log.
  • WolowitzTimestwo
    WolowitzTimestwo Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You have got to be kidding? Gum?
  • mnxl
    mnxl Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    2 things i have learned about chewing gum. the chewing signals the body to produce saliva which in turn brings acids to your mouth to assist in breaking down food, which affects your teeth, for me the chewing triggers hunger mode.
  • 72maureen
    72maureen Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I don't log it, unless i was chewing 5 packs a day...lol but i figure, all the extra walking around i do, from here to there, just doing lots of miscellaneous things, im burning calories and i don't log that down for exercise, i figure i break even, maybe that's wrong but to each their own i guess.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    2 things i have learned about chewing gum. the chewing signals the body to produce saliva which in turn brings acids to your mouth to assist in breaking down food, which affects your teeth, for me the chewing triggers hunger mode.

Do you have citations for this advice please?

My understanding is that chewing sugar free gum signals the body to produce saliva which help to neutralize plaque acid, which in turn helps to protect tooth enamel.

Why do dentists like their patients to chew gum to protect their teeth?
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    No. I figure I'm rounding up the bigger things...a 3.8 oz piece of chicken to 4, etc so it's a wash.
  • missjojo31
    missjojo31 Posts: 150
    Options
    no i dont log gum, but i do tend to round things up.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I love this question!! I chew gum ALOT, always have. I don't log it. I figure the act of chewing burns the calories (LOL). Plus chewing gum is one of life's little pleasures that you should not stress about.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been chewing a lot of gum (at about 4-5 calories per piece, depending on the brand) in order to stop myself from snacking when I'm not really hungry just because I want some taste.

At first I'd log all of the gum, but lately I've been kind of lazy with it and wonder if there is really a point. The entire packs are usually about 28 calories or so and I have less than a pack a day.

Do you guys log things like gum? Or even black coffee?

I have but not really on a regular basis...
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i log the calories i burn, sure. from all the chewing.
  • kmshred
    kmshred Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    i log gum when i have the extra calories and ignore it when i don't hahaaaa!
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    No I don’t and I chew lots! I think it is the equivalent of logging blinking as an exercise - don’t be too hard on yourself! :noway:
  • singlefemalelawyer
    singlefemalelawyer Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    6a00d83453dc2969e2017ee97da352970d-800wi
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    No because it takes more calories to chew so you should log it as exercise. It's just like logging your water you have to measure the amount of pee you produce so I always carry a measuring cup with me! At the bars it comes in handy.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    no.

but can you do this?

bubble-gum-2-o.gif
  • Leslie1124
    Leslie1124 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I log all my drinks including coffee but i dont or havent logged gum. I might start though.
  • Weathers58
    Weathers58 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    If you eat your own poo does it have any calories?
  • kird6732
    kird6732 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Love you reply about blinking and gum! I like the question of chewing gum... had not thought about it since there is so many other bigger things to keep track on...:happy:
  • Christylee812
    Options
    Yes, it does. I had surgery one time and was scolded by the anesthesiologist because I chewed gum before I got there because I was so thirsty and couldn't eat or drink so I thought that would help me get through. She said that it makes your stomach think you have eaten and could have caused me to throw up during the procedure while I was under. She said its just like eating with nothing in your stomach. Guess it didn't effect me. :happy: But it did make sense at the time.