How often should you weigh in??

Options
2»

Replies

• Cerdice
    Cerdice Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    No right answer to this in my view, it depends on the person. I find it both enlightening and motivating to weigh every morning, I use the Libra app and love seeing the trend line going down! I only log my weight here once a week, always on Saturday morning. If it doesn't go down much, or weren't to go down, I'm not disheartened because I know the overall trend of the week has been down and the apparent lack of progress is due to what I ate or how much exercise I got on Friday.
  • Lmns218
    Lmns218 Posts: 155
    Options
    I'm not going to lie. I weigh in everyday...sometimes 2-3x a day....I'm obsessed lol

But at least I know what my ups and downs are....I only record Fridays.

In addition to measurements taken every week or 2, I also took pictures from Day one....and will be doing so every 30 days. That is to me where you see most results because as you work out, you might not lost a whole lot of pounds, or even a whole lot of inches...but your body composition does change as you work out and things start sitting a little higher even if you don't see a big difference on the scale or measurements.
  • Corinne_Howland
    Corinne_Howland Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing! Unfortunately, my weigh two days ago was better than today. Which means, I will be weighing in even more often until it goes back down. :mad:
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Like Cerdice just said, there is no right answer. You will find many people on here that weigh themselves every day, some that weight weekly, monthly, bi-monthly etc. Its all down to what you feel comfortable doing. Personally I weight my self every 2 weeks but only record it every month.

One thing that you do need to make sure you are doing is cut out the variables when it comes to weighing yourself, for example same scales, same time of the day, same food intake before hand, same clothes etc. If you cut all those out then it will give you a true indication of how much weight you have lost.
  • Geojerm
    Geojerm Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I weigh every Friday... but skip if it's that TOM... just personally makes me feel better not to see that fluctuation

find what works for you : D if daily is disheartening start looking for NSV (non scale victories) maybe measurements or how your clothes fit and how you feel etc
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Once a day, in the morning after ablutions. It has really helped my understand how my weight fluctuates. I've found that I forget more often now that I'm maintaining though.
    same place (down to the last tile on the floor).
    Me too! :blushing:
  • Dovekat
    Dovekat Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    You will get a lot of different options on this question. I do so once roughly every 4 to 8 weeks (if as and when I remember) but many people do it every week or every day. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer really it's personal preference :smile:
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, log once a week and compare weights 4 weeks apart ... my weight goes up and down like a yoyo week on week but over the 4 weeks I see the true trend ....
  • langurmonkey
    Options
    I do it every day and use the Hacker Diet online to track it. It takes a running average to smooth out day to day variation. I like it because you get fast feedback about how any changes you make to your diet / exercise are affecting you. I think waiting a week to discover that you have put on two pounds by eating badly is too long and is very demotivating. Finding out you have put on a pound in three days is a kick up the *kitten*.
  • jennrox78
    jennrox78 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have a habit of constantly getting on the scale all of the time to see if I'm making process...how often do you guys weigh in?

:embarassed: me too..
  • shawtiibabyy
    Options
    I weigh daily every morning as soon as I get up but only record weekly. That way you can see how you're doing but dont have to worry about the usual daily fluctuations :)
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I don't have a scale in the house and don't feel the need to go out and get one. I can feel my body changing all the time. I feel lighter or thinner or see my face slimmer I notice all the tiny changes in my body. I am curious as to whether or not other people feel this too. That said I go to the doctor once a month and they weigh me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Every day. Much easier to see a pattern. Now I know how my weight loss works and I laugh if I put on 2 lbs.
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, log once a week and compare weights 4 weeks apart ... my weight goes up and down like a yoyo week on week but over the 4 weeks I see the true trend ....

hers my weight ups n downs over the last 5 and a bit months hope this helps :)

..........................wk 1............ wk 2............ wk 3 ............ wk 4............tot over the mth
    Month 1 ............ - 0.6 ............ UP 2.6 ............ - 1 ............ - 1.8 ............ - 0.8
    Month 2 ............ - 1.4 ............ UP 0.4 ............ UP 0.6 ............ - 1.6 ............ - 2
    Month 3 ............ - 1.2 ............ - 3 ............ UP 1.6 ............ UP 0.6 ............ - 2
    Month 4 ............ - 1.6 ............ UP 0.2 ............ -0.4 ............ -0.4 ............ -2.2
    Month 5............ -3.8 ............ UP 5.6 ............ -6.8 ............ UP 0.6 ............ -4.4
    Month 6 ............ UP1.2 ............ UP 1.2 ............ - 2.8

Total loss over the last 23 weeks
    11.8 lbs
  • Kori0714
    Kori0714 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Honestly this is completey up to you and how weighing yourself makes you feel. Everyone told me i should ONLY weigh in once a week. However, if i gained weight i would not know what caused it and i felt like i lost days where i could not correct the weight gain. SO now i weigh myself every morning. I know a lot of people will say that it is not good to do but it works for me. I only record my weight progress on Monday mornings tho. I use to do it on fridays but recording on mondays keeps me accountable on the weekends. I also will measure myself every other Monday. This helps when the scale doesnt move.

Just remember if you weigh yourself everyday you have to prepare yourself in advance that the scale may go up throughout the week. But it will also help you to see how certain foods affect you and also how different activitiy levels will affect you too.

But again you have to find what works for you. that might be once a week, twice a week, every other day or everyday. What works for one will not work for all.

Good luck to you!
  • Lindabummy1
    Lindabummy1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Every day or every other day, but I record only once a week. Like a lot of posters here, I get a better idea of my "habits" good or bad if I do it more frequently. I have learned not to let it bother me if I have a slight up like a pound if I know I have been good. It also helps me when I way frequently to stay more faithful cause I know I will be weighing myself soon.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Every day but I only record on Friday if I lost. I measure on the last day of the month.