Success from Fitbit TDEE

Options
Hey,

I was just wondering if anyone goes strictly off of their TDEE from their fitbit and if they have lost weight? Just looking for some success stories! Also, my fitbit...has its projected calories I will burn through the day and how many I can eat...but then it says I've met goal for calories, and if you slide over it says I need to burn more...does anyone know wth thats about? Its annoying hah. Please share ur stories!! :O)

Replies

• Livdoesketo
    Livdoesketo Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I do half and half depending on how hungry I am. My fitbit syncs with MFP at the end of the day instead of throughout so that I don't overeat calories without moving. I tend to use the fitbit adjusted MFP value as my maximum and only if I'm really hungry after drinking water that I will eat upto my fitbit maximum.

Fitbit tells you your estimated calorie burn based on how much exercise you have done at that point which is why you might get you've met your goal- for the day, but not met your goal for that point in time if you still have 4/5 hours until midnight. Does that make sense?
  • Tigg1011
    Tigg1011 Posts: 146
    Options
    Yes, it makes sense.
    Have you lost any weight just following your fitbit? I'm skeptical so I'm curious to see how others are doing.
  • jlnolin
    jlnolin Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just got my fitbit yesterday, so I'm definitely no pro. But in my research I think I found that it's saying you need to burn more based on an arbitrary goal it sets for you for calorie burn. You can change it in your settings to whatever goal you want to make!

I hope that helps!
  • Livdoesketo
    Livdoesketo Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I use it to make sure I keep moving, at the moment I've been doing 10 000 steps a day and it's definitely helping me kick start my weightloss. I've lost 10lbs in the last 10 days since I re-started my diet properly, I would attribute that to fit bit combined with how strictly I've been tracking.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I have had a Fitbit and I have used a Body Media Fit. The BMF gave higher daily burns than the Fitbit for me since the Fitbit doesn't measure lifting or running particularly well. I did an experiment for 3 weeks and ate very close to TDEE per the BMF. The results were this:

Average burn over 3 weeks 2848 calories daily
    Average intake over 3 weeks 2653 calories
    Weight change: -0.4 lbs

So by my estimation, the BMF is accurate; the Fitbit underestimates unless your primary activity is just walking and NEAT.

Edited to add: I'm 37 y/o, 5'7" and ~158 lbs.
  • Tigg1011
    Options
    hmm...thats interesting. Im glad your body mediafit works but I wanna know how accurate the fitbit is lol. The only thing I do that the fitbit can't track are my workout dvds with weights which I log as circuit training.
  • michellekicks
    Options
    hmm...thats interesting. Im glad your body mediafit works but I wanna know how accurate the fitbit is lol. The only thing I do that the fitbit can't track are my workout dvds with weights which I log as circuit training.

Wow. I seriously was trying to help. I'm telling you my experience. No one can tell you yours. Why don't you just go ahead and put in the time and test it. If you eat at a cut from what the Fitbit tells you and you lose weight it works. If you don't lose weight it doesn't work. Why are you asking if you don't want anecdotal evidence.

TL;DR: Fitbit underestimated my TDEE.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit Flex and I use it to calculate my TDEE and my weight-loss goal. I put my BMR into MFP and then the FitBit adjusts the numbers throughout the day (it syncs with my iPad) to get me to the proper goal. I hit my goal weight and now I'm maintaining very accurately with the FitBit.

However! The caveat is that I have a very sedentary job so seriously, the walking and steps that it counts are pretty much the only exercise except for a bit of strength training that I actually do.
  • Tigg1011
    Options
    No, Im not being mean, Im sorry if it came out that way!! I'm saying I really AM glad it worked for you, but you havent experimented with the fitbit much you said..how much did it underestimate your TDEE?
  • Tigg1011
    Options
    I have a FitBit Flex and I use it to calculate my TDEE and my weight-loss goal. I put my BMR into MFP and then the FitBit adjusts the numbers throughout the day (it syncs with my iPad) to get me to the proper goal. I hit my goal weight and now I'm maintaining very accurately with the FitBit.

However! The caveat is that I have a very sedentary job so seriously, the walking and steps that it counts are pretty much the only exercise except for a bit of strength training that I actually do.

The BMR that you got, did you get it from like scoobys workshop or did you get it from your flex TDEE-20% numbers? I have 10 to lose...ppl say the cut should be 10-15% but I cant see myself eating that much and actually losing, sounds crazy!
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    The "you have reached your goal calories, burn more" updates as you continue your day. For example, after dinner, sometimes I have met my calories but it tells me to burn more (usually the case) .

Usually by midnight, the amount of calories burned has caught up, even being sedentary for the rest of the night. I've figured out that I burn approx 60 calories an hour just sedentary. If i see that I'm still not going to be even, as in, I've taken in 1400 calories but have only burned 1600, and will only burn 240 calories more in 4 more hours, that means my TDEE for the day was 1840 and I didn't have that 500 deficit, I adjust accordingly. I'll run up and down the stairs or back and forth around the room.

If you're really active during the day, it's a little more confusing. You should probably go to your fitbit dashboard online and calculate how many calories you have burned during that activity and then kind of estimate how much over your regular TDEE that is. Then adjust how many calories you eat that day accordingly. So, if you burned 400 calories during a running session, and your normal TDEE is 1800, add 400 and you get 2200, then according to your deficit, eat however many calories you need.

The only really annoying thing about it is if you have a certain goal set on MFP and then your TDEE goal changes for the day, you'll be over or under on MFP at the end of the day. My mom adjusts her goal every day, but that's too much work for me. If you hate seeing red numbers, it's what you'll have to do, but I really don't care at this point, as long as I'm meeting the deficit.

Hope that helps!
  • sarahevenstar
    sarahevenstar Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've been using mine to do TDEE -20% for more than six months now. I do my calculations from Scooby's Workshop and then set my calorie goal on the FitBit to that number. I also disconnected my FitBit from my MFP so it does not do adjustments. But doing it that way, it's been working.
  • michellekicks
    Options
    No, Im not being mean, Im sorry if it came out that way!! I'm saying I really AM glad it worked for you, but you havent experimented with the fitbit much you said..how much did it underestimate your TDEE?

For me, it underestimated by about 200 calories daily on a rest day if the BMF is accurate. I never wore both devices at the same time to compare workout days.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    The BMR that you got, did you get it from like scoobys workshop or did you get it from your flex TDEE-20% numbers? I have 10 to lose...ppl say the cut should be 10-15% but I cant see myself eating that much and actually losing, sounds crazy!
    I used http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ It works great as long as you know your body fat%. I have the FitBit Aria scale as well as a set of calipers, and both are within a .5 % of each other.

It took me 2 months to lose the last 7 pounds....but really, it *does* work if you let it.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just go ahead and put in the time and test it. If you eat at a cut from what the Fitbit tells you and you lose weight it works. If you don't lose weight it doesn't work.

TL;DR: Fitbit underestimated my TDEE.

This. I've found that I don't have to eat 500 less than what fitbit gives me, more like right at or under by 1-200, to lose. So that leads me to believe it's underestimating my TDEE as well. But, I also stopped loging extra stuff like weights/circuit training, etc, moreso because I think I was overestimating there, eating the extra, and not losing.

So, yes, I also agree to try it and see what happens for you!
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I use the TDEE from my Fitbit to maintain.... It's been correct so far!! If I wanted to lose, I'd just take a percentage cut from there and use that number. It's as good an estimate as anything else you'll find!
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I have had a Fitbit and I have used a Body Media Fit. The BMF gave higher daily burns than the Fitbit for me since the Fitbit doesn't measure lifting or running particularly well. I did an experiment for 3 weeks and ate very close to TDEE per the BMF. The results were this:

Average burn over 3 weeks 2848 calories daily
    Average intake over 3 weeks 2653 calories
    Weight change: -0.4 lbs

So by my estimation, the BMF is accurate; the Fitbit underestimates unless your primary activity is just walking and NEAT.

Edited to add: I'm 37 y/o, 5'7" and ~158 lbs.

The Fitbit has a weightlifting activity for you to record, so it can calculate your correct burn. If you don't use all of the tools, it won't be as accurate as it could be.
  • z4dow
    z4dow Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have mine (fitbit one) from February. My primary exercise was walking and fitbit was more than accurate for me. I have lost 36 lbs in five months just eating in a deficit: fitbit TDEE - cals of my food plan .
    So if your main activity is walking/jogging and the numbers in your food logs are accurate the "plan" is working.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    The Fitbit has a weightlifting activity for you to record, so it can calculate your correct burn. If you don't use all of the tools, it won't be as accurate as it could be.

It pretty much estimates the same as MFP would for other activities, and it overestimates for me. Therefore, I found it more helpful to not log other stuff and underestimate, than overestimate and think I could eat more.
  • Tigg1011
    Options
    Ok, great-thanks for all the feedback everyone! I am going to give it a try, this has been the first week at it, just curious how others made out is all. Do any of you think I should be really eating at TDEE- 10 to 15%?? It just seems like so much food and makes me nervous because I didnt get here by eating less, I got here by eating more lol.
    Also, i guess I wont record my other workouts...maybe that is not helping an overestimating my numbers. I wont eat that back.