Question for the girls.........

Am I the only one who struggles with keeping away from sweet stuff during 'that' time of the month? Normally I'm not too bad when it comes to staying within my calories, but am really struggling when my hormones are crying out for sugar! : ( If youd o have this same problem, how do you get around it????

Replies

• jlnolin
    jlnolin Posts: 5 Member
    My craving around that time is not for sugar but for salty snacks (think cheezits, chips, anything that's carb loaded and salty!). So I completely understand where you're coming from. It's difficult, but I try and substitute healthier versions of salty foods. (My go-to is light string cheese, delightfully salty tasting but low calorie and carb.

When I'm having sweet cravings, I try and indulge them with 100 calorie pack yogurt covered pretzels or something. It can be super hard, can't it?
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    I eat some sugar.

Not trying to be snarky, but if I really feel like I need some chocolate to help with my mood swings or whatever, then I have some chocolate. Chocolate (or sugar) won't hurt you (unless you have a medical condition). I refuse to label foods as "good" or "bad", so it's not a big deal to have some of what I want when I want it. I just control the amount.

That said, I've found that the more weight I lose, the healthier I get, and the more fit I am, the less mood swings I have. And exercise goes a LONG way towards combatting issues during that time of the month.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    MEAT! Give me meat!!

Seriously though, if you feel you need it, have a little; everything in moderation, and you're already miserable once a month; do you really want to put yourself through two times the misery by rejecting your body's need signals?
  • kju52
    kju52 Posts: 45 Member
    Oh i just went through it yesterday. it's that TOM for me right now and I decided to give in to my cravings.. however, i felt like it was fine. Having some Nutella or whatever else once a month is ok. I ended up being 500 calories over at first but then went and excercised and burned twice as much. If you feel like something sweet go for it just don't let it turn into a binge.
    Best if you can find a way to include it in your allowed macros. Anyways, you're not alone with this. My willpower seems to suffer from my period every time but i try to make a rational decision. Sometimes I do treat myself, other times i stay strong and have a sweet tea with some frozen berries :) figure out what makes u happy
  • Mamalea32
    Mamalea32 Posts: 134
    Invest in some high quality dark chocolate. 85% cocao or higher. It pleases the hormones and you only need a square or two of it. Also, it has nutritional value.
  • bamabutterfly83
    bamabutterfly83 Posts: 73 Member
    I just had that same problem. It's extra hard for me because sugar is my vice anyway. I usually indulge a little during my TOM but do some serious cardio to take care of the calories. If you are worried about over indulging get some dark chocolate almonds or some NSA pudding or Fat free ice cream.
  • lbuseth
    lbuseth Posts: 41
    Dark chocolate is my way of dealing with it. Just a few pieces but seems to work for me.
  • imflora
    imflora Posts: 12
    i just feel ok. Sometimes is fine to go off the track.
    u can just one cup of ice cream, or 1 healthy bar, milkshakes, or yogurt with sugar
  • ManjKA
    ManjKA Posts: 35
    Sounds like the old remedy of "a little of what you fancy does you good" could be the answer.. but will also look to see what tantalising low-cal alternatives there are - thanks much to all! Keep the ideas coming if there are more!
  • Tinytaru
    Tinytaru Posts: 185 Member
    I just had that problem yesterday, and I gave in. as Long as you don't do that everyday, I think you should just eat it (in moderation).
  • Hotdawgnothotdog
    Hotdawgnothotdog Posts: 179 Member
    Go to bed, get ready for bed, exercise, if you can't find the energy to do one of these things, then do you have the energy to go to the kitchen and eat? You probably do, but it's a big mental game, it's hard, but possible. Think about the body you want. Go to Google images and type in your ideal celebrity body type's name and look at pictures of her / him. Get infront of a mirror, strip down, and jump, assuming you want like what you see, that'll ruin your appetite.
  • I eat sugar free jello mousse, sugar free jello, sugar free sorbet, and fat free carbs......I know they arent the best for me, but at least im satisfying cravings without hurting my calorie and fat intake. That "eat lots of healthy fruits and vegetables" philosophy just doesnt help the cravings for me.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Who can exercise during TOM? I am doing good to get to the bathroom and kitchen regularly.

:laugh:
  • Birlioz
    Birlioz Posts: 20
    The way I look at it is this...

If I want some chocolate,

I can either eat a bunch of healthy food and just keep on eating it because I'm not satisfying my craving, and I end up with more calories and fat than the actual chocolate and I'm still not happy

or

I can just eat some chocolate.

And on days when I feel a craving for something really bad like deep dish pizza from pizza hut, I just do it and eat a little bit, just enough to satisfy my craving.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    MEAT! Give me meat!!

Seriously though, if you feel you need it, have a little; everything in moderation, and you're already miserable once a month; do you really want to put yourself through two times the misery by rejecting your body's need signals?

I find I crave meat when I'm low on iron.

For those who want a sweet buzz try one of those low cal hot chocolates and see if it helps - if not might make you sleepy enough not to raid the cupboards.
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    I pretty much NEVER crave sweets unless it's my TOTM, but I keep dark chocolate squares in the freezer just for such occasions. Don't get me wrong...I unwrap that seemingly tiny piece of chocolate and stare at it, willing it to become a GIANT slice of chocolate cake, but it never works and I'm usually surprisingly satisfied after I eat the small piece of chocolate.

FYI Dove Dark Minis only have 45 calories each!
  • Charweezie
    Charweezie Posts: 115 Member
    i actually have a small scoop of my fave ice cream just about every other night. I earned it! i work out about 4-5 days a week .. eat right during the day and by the end of the night.. i reward myself with ice cream.. hasn't been a problm yet.. i've maintained my weight loss so far.. hope that helps...goodluck!
  • ManjKA
    ManjKA Posts: 35
    The way I look at it is this...

If I want some chocolate,

I can either eat a bunch of healthy food and just keep on eating it because I'm not satisfying my craving, and I end up with more calories and fat than the actual chocolate and I'm still not happy

or

I can just eat some chocolate.

And on days when I feel a craving for something really bad like deep dish pizza from pizza hut, I just do it and eat a little bit, just enough to satisfy my craving.

ooh.. i hadn't thought of it this way - good point!!
  • Eile_C
    Eile_C Posts: 1
    @chandanista
    Exactly! I am the same way.. During my TOM I have no energy.. :explode: I have found that Midol Complete helps me so I can be more active, But I don't really Exercise... More like I'll go for a walk, but that's it..

When I have cravings during my TOM I usually give in but try my best to keep it in moderation. Also, I recently discovered that Yoplait Light yogurt makes flavors such as: Boston Creme Pie, Strawberry Shortcake, Cinnamon Roll, Red Velvet Cake, and more. They are mostly about 90 calories per serving so I found that eating these helped me with my sweets cravings last month.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    You're talking about TOM?

See, I have a bigger problem with JOE; he holds me down and forces food into my mouth.