30 DS / Ripped in 30 Schedule

Options
I started doing some of Jillian's awesome videos recently, but am not sure how to schedule my workouts. I know you are not supposed to work the same body part two days in a row, so I am confused by the recommended schedule. Completing these programs 5-6 days each week mean that for the most part there is no rest between working the same body parts back-to-back. Is this not likely to lead to injury? How have you dealt with this issue when going through these programs (or other total body workouts)? I really like that my whole body gets worked each time I workout, but then I am unsure about doing the same thing the next day without resting.

Thanks!

Replies

• cplanoue41
    cplanoue41 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Technically you shouldn't work muscle groups back to back because if you are going for muscle growth as it's seen as a detriment due to the fact that your creating little tears in your muscles that need time to heal. I think a 30 day shred video is more focused on activity that gets you to lose weight and not a muscle building process in itself (although you certainly can add a little muscle while doing it). If you are trying to lose weight 30 day shred is great. If you are trying to build muscle, you are probably lifting at the gym. At the end of the day, listen to your body. If your body is exhausted, you risk injury so skip a day. Doesn't make you any less of a person :)
  • free8gent
    free8gent Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My current goal is to lose weight and firm up. Muscle growth is definitely not a priority, but definition is. 30 DS does use weights and other strength training, but it's more about lower weight / high rep. Does this mean it's safer to workout back-to-back versus doing high weight / low rep training?

I hear what you're saying about listening to my body. I'm still not great at this and have a tendency to push too hard and wind up injured. I also have Jillian's ab workout which I figure I can alternate in some days to give some other muscles a break.
  • AprilKnits
    AprilKnits Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am also a big fan of Jillian's workouts (also love her podcast for motivation). I have completed 30DS and currently on level 3 of Ripped in 30 (kicking my backside). I use them for muscle definition and a way of working out for weight maintenance when my kids are at home and I cannot leave the house.

I completely understand your concerns and I alternate the workouts with endurance cardio workouts (running, swimming and, on a tired day, walking). I have found Level 3 is pushing my fitness more than any of the other workouts so far and have decided to keep repeating it until I can complete all the reps rather than just doing it for the 7 days as I am using it for fitness rather than the need to complete the programme in a specific length of time
  • free8gent
    free8gent Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I agree that Jillian's workouts are awesome. I feel it all over the next day. I currently don't have a gym membership, so my workouts all happen at home. I can't really run/bike outside for fitness because the pollution is bad where I live. Any thoughts on other alternatives I can use to switch up with Jillian's DVDs to avoid injury?
  • AprilKnits
    AprilKnits Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could alternate the JM Dvds with some beginner or gentle yoga/pilates where there is less emphasis on the cardio and more on the stretching? Could you run timed sprints up and down your hallway (done that in my time - do 20 mins you will be amazed how hard). Can you access an indoor public swimming pool once a week? Keep an eye for a cheap treadmill/stationary bike/eliptial ? Where I live, you can sometimes even get them for free from one of the upcycling websites if you keep an eye out