WOMEN- I NEED YOUR HELP!!!! Birth Control Issues

Options
Alright ladies...
Here's some background- About 2 years ago I was able to finally get off of birth control. When on birth control I had gotten up to 173 pounds. Once off of it, the weight just melted off- I had finally reached my goal weight of 147- and started packing on pounds of muscle.
Now here we are, after a divorce- and having to go back to the birth control in January of 2012- I am right back up there to 161 pounds- and feeling miserable. Nothing I do helps me lose the weight. And the wonderful size 7 pants I USED to fit in... well...
I am afraid that my only option is to get off the birth control and get my tubes tied- as I am sick of the weight gain and currently do not want any children ( and have had this stance for the past 6 years).

I know that I can not be the ONLY one suffering from Birth Control weight gain and wanted to see what other women have done about it, or if any of you have found a birth control that has not cause this.... HELP!!!!

Replies

• scookiemonster
    scookiemonster Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into an iud? It may affect your body differently than the pills.

The problem with questions like this is that all of our bodies are so different, and each of us reacts differently to these synthetic hormones. Sometimes you just have to try a few different options before you hit the one that works best for you. Don't be afraid to go in to your doctor and tell him/her that this pill isn't working and you want to try a different one. There are dozens of options out there, so don't limit yourself and don't be afraid to ask for something different, even if you're not sure what that should be.
  • sarajeanelles
    sarajeanelles Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm really sensitive to birth control and went through at least 10 different ones, each with various side effects and finally found Loestrin 24. I have been on it for 2 years and there is absolutely no difference that I feel when I'm on this vs when I'm on nothing, it's been great for me. It's pretty expensive bc there is no generic but it's worth the money to me to be able to take something and be symptom free.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I've been trying to get my tubes tied since i was 18...unless you have a medical problem or you have 3 kids, they won't do it. Well, here in Canada anyway. What about an IUD? or spermicide? you can double up the preventive measures like a sponge and spermicide or condom. Go to your doctor and see what you can find. I'm on my 4th kind of pill, but that's because I'm a raging hormonal psycho during PMS, I never really relate it to weight loss.
  • ellejay1214
    ellejay1214 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm working with my doctor to figure out if there is anything I can do to help me lose weight while staying on the pill. Since starting the pill, I went from 160 to almost 200 pounds at only 5'3", but it's about the only thing that keeps me from turning into the Hulk before and during that time of the month.

The best thing you can do is talk to your doctor about the effects of the pill and discuss other options. The IUD is probably a good option.
  • 9xuzts
    9xuzts Posts: 40
    Options
    You've probably never heard of this, but there is a natural/no pill method of birth control called Natural Family Planning. My sister-in-law uses this and has had great results. It follows the natural biological female cycles to pinpoint when you are actually fertile (only a couple days a month) by measuring your body temperature every day. When your temperature spikes, (by a degree or two) that is a sign that you are fertile. If you can deal with the inconvenience of putting off having sex for 2 or 3 days every month, you can reap the overwhelming benefit of not subjecting your body to artificial hormones and some of their nasty side-effects. Remember too that even if there aren't side-effects that you notice right away, any hormonal treatment can be affecting your body in a way that you are unaware of. In the Wikipedia article about it, it cites a study in Germany that found that NFP is 99.6% effective. You'll find out if you research this option further that the development of NFP was closely tied to the Roman Catholic Church. I'm perfectly aware that this can be a turn-off for some people, but if you can forget about that and just see it for it's benefits it's a great program! I happen to be Catholic, but I'm absolutely sure that I would want to use this method even if I wasn't since it's so holistic and natural. Feel free to send me a message if you want more information! (Plus, if you use NFP it's free and you won't have to buy birth control anymore!) :)
  • Sarabelle43
    Options
    I'm on my third BC pill - the first two having made me 1)gain lots of weight and 2)be an emotional mess - to the point where my best friend was suggesting I see a therapist for my crazy mood swings, not know I'd started the pill. I've been on this current pill for about 7 months and no noticeable side effects. I'm losing weight as I should with my diet and workout schedule. I think if you want to do the pill, the best thing to do is to work with your doctor to find one that is right for you. If you look any pill up, nih will give you a break down of side effects, etc. It also lists the effectiveness of the different contraceptives - pill, condom, natural family planning, etc. My BF works at the FDA so when the second pill had a bad reaction, there was a lot of research by the drug geek to help figure things out.

Good luck!
  • AmyJo527
    AmyJo527 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue with the pill, along with a bunch of other side effects of the hormones. I went off of it about 6 years ago, and some of the weight came off and I felt SO much better. After having my second child, I needed to go back on some form of birth control, but was not ready to get my tubes tied...I now have the Paraguard IUD, which is copper and has no hormones in it. It is wonderful! I have no side effects and no weight gain, and I don't even have to think about it except to check the strings once a month. Good luck!
  • anniegail1961
    Options
    Hi There: Do not get your tubes tied unless you already have kids.
    You are so young to even consider this option.
    Mr. Right will eventually come-and you'll want his child.
    Go off the pill-use condoms and spermicide jellies-or better yet Abstain until someone really worthy comes along!
    "WARS WERE FOUGHT OVER THAT GOLDEN HOLE"
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You've probably never heard of this, but there is a natural/no pill method of birth control called Natural Family Planning. My sister-in-law uses this and has had great results. It follows the natural biological female cycles to pinpoint when you are actually fertile (only a couple days a month) by measuring your body temperature every day. When your temperature spikes, (by a degree or two) that is a sign that you are fertile. If you can deal with the inconvenience of putting off having sex for 2 or 3 days every month, you can reap the overwhelming benefit of not subjecting your body to artificial hormones and some of their nasty side-effects. Remember too that even if there aren't side-effects that you notice right away, any hormonal treatment can be affecting your body in a way that you are unaware of. In the Wikipedia article about it, it cites a study in Germany that found that NFP is 99.6% effective. You'll find out if you research this option further that the development of NFP was closely tied to the Roman Catholic Church. I'm perfectly aware that this can be a turn-off for some people, but if you can forget about that and just see it for it's benefits it's a great program! I happen to be Catholic, but I'm absolutely sure that I would want to use this method even if I wasn't since it's so holistic and natural. Feel free to send me a message if you want more information! (Plus, if you use NFP it's free and you won't have to buy birth control anymore!) :)

Yeah and I know at least one person for who it didn't work!

I tried the pill and it didn't work for me either... I got sick, cholesterol shot down... I tried three different kinds and gave up. 'Fortunately' we have other issues so I don't need birth control anymore.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Hi There: Do not get your tubes tied unless you already have kids.
    You are so young to even consider this option.
    Mr. Right will eventually come-and you'll want his child.
    Go off the pill-use condoms and spermicide jellies-or better yet Abstain until someone really worthy comes along!
    "WARS WERE FOUGHT OVER THAT GOLDEN HOLE"

I seriously hope you are kidding. I can't even.

To the OP: Have you tried different forms of birth control? I would keep trying different forms until you find what works for you. You can use non-hormonal forms of birth control as well. Between children, my husband and I used condoms without any issues until we were ready to have another (almost 4 years). Talk to your gynecologist and ask for recommendations.
  • allyson8706
    Options
    I have issues with this as well. 3 years ago I went off my BC to get pregnant and lost about 35 pounds in 2 months. I just went off it again about 3 weeks ago and so far only 3 pounds but I feel so much better!!! You have to do what is best for you. Good luck!
  • Quest529
    Quest529 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Look into Fertility Awareness Method and the book, "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" (and website: tcoyf.com) I'm pretty new to it, but I'm on my first cycle since stopping hormonal birth control and am loving the results.

I was tired of the side effects of the pill and wanted other options. Every other drug or implant came with more side effects that I didn't want.

There are women using FAM that have successfully been pregnancy-free for years! It is all about how dedicated you are to charting and your level of what you are comfortable with. There are so many ways to adapt this method to what works for your and your cycle.
  • StrongerJess
    StrongerJess Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Try going on a lower dose. I went on Orthotricyclen Lo and felt like it was still effective but way easier on my body.
  • mrdk92
    mrdk92 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm really sensitive to birth control and went through at least 10 different ones, each with various side effects and finally found Loestrin 24. I have been on it for 2 years and there is absolutely no difference that I feel when I'm on this vs when I'm on nothing, it's been great for me. It's pretty expensive bc there is no generic but it's worth the money to me to be able to take something and be symptom free.

I love Loestrin 24! I've also had 0 negative side effects, which is amazing. Also, my periods are so light I barely even notice them so that's a plus to me.
  • badgergrrl
    badgergrrl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Paragard IUD.

You may bleed heavier, but no hormones/side effects - it's worth it to me, but ymmv.

There is a great site called IUD Divas that has a ton of information about Paragard, Mirena, as well as other birth control options.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Mirena IUD !
  • rachso
    rachso Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    This may work if cycles are normal and you have no medical issues but it is not 100%. I have PCOS so this method would not work for me. My cycles are never regular due to cysts (unless I take BC pills to help regulate and even then they can still be off) and so my ovulation times are not always correct. It's great for some ppl, but you need to be sure you have no female issues and regular cycles before going that route
  • CandiQueen
    CandiQueen Posts: 57
    Options
    what really bothers me about tjhis is you saying you CURRENTLY do not want anymore children and have had this stance for the past 6 years.... Thats still really young, and you did you did use the word currently... Don't do anything permanent you are not 100 million percent sure of. Besides, there are a lot of semi permanent options you can use,such as the birth control depo shot, an IUD, he can wear condoms and spermacide, there are also female condoms and last but not least there is always abstinence if you really don't want more kids and are worried about the side effects of birth control. No matter what you decide though I really urge you not to get your tubes tied this young. Also I don't know where you live, but here in Canada you would have a hard time finding a doctor that would even do that for you at your age.... especially if you're single, or newly partnered.
  • kooky34
    kooky34 Posts: 4
    Options
    I cannot take hormonal birth control for that same reason, and the fact that my mood swings are really bad too. I would recommend the copper IUD, no hormones, no fuss....and you can get it out when you want to try and have a baby again.
  • SidsMom80
    SidsMom80 Posts: 97 Member
    Options

My sister had 3 kids, and my cousin 4 following this method.....

Unless your cycle runs like clock work this method is nowhere near 99% effective...I believe the last stats i saw were more like 70%. Stress, diet, etc all can affect your cycle on a monthly basis throwing off your calculations and putting you at risk for pregnancy if you aren't using another method also.

To the OP: Talk to your doctor. I was on depo and while I did gain weight on it, I also lost on it. I contribute it to my lifestyle and eating habits not the depo. Now I'm on Mirena and following a healthier lifestyle and have had no problem, but that doesn't mean you'll have the same results. Everyone can give you every BC option there is, but a doctor would probably be a better person to talk to.