Polar Ft4...how accurate?

Options
I have the aforementioned hrm and I use the chest strap. Recently I have been riding bikes with my hubby (not racing, but A LOT of hills in my neighborhood). We generally ride for an hour or hour 10-20 mins. Last night, it told me that I burned 808 cals. I wanna believe it is accurate, but geez, that is a lot of cals. My hr is staying high while riding (except down hill, of course). Just wanting to make sure it is pretty accurate, I guess?

Replies

• InspiredSAM
    InspiredSAM Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I would think that's pretty accurate for a 60-80 minute bike ride. I love my Ft4 and want to think it's pretty accurate.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    It has always seemed pretty accurate to me so I want to continue to think it is!
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Make sure the chest strap is cleaned properly (I wash mine in water and then put it through a gentle wash every 3-4 days in a net bag).

I also find with mine I have to soak it thoroughly before I wear it.

I also tighten it - it always surprises me how tight I need it.

If I don't do any of these things, then my readings are inaccurate (I know cos it gives me bizarre heart rate readings!), as long as I do these then I reckon it's pretty consistent.

I've just reread this, I'm sorry if it sounded preachy, it wasn't my intention! I had been asking myself the same question of my ft4 recently and these were the steps I reminded myself to take to keep it accurate.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    You didn't sound preachy at all. I appreciate the tips. I have only washed the strap a few times, so I will up the washing of it. When you say soak it...do you acutally soak the little clip thing that snaps on the strap? I generally wet the back of the strap where it snaps onto that. It is pretty snug. If it gets any tighter, it will be uncomfortable.
  • caly_man
    caly_man Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    just soak the strap sensors ( 2 of them), and not the snap on receiver
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I have the FT4 and love it! I think it's pretty accurate, but it's my first HRM so I don't have anything else to compare it to. :ohwell:

I especially love my cute pink watch/wrist transmitter because I'm a lame girl like that. :laugh:
  • nikkohli
    nikkohli Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I feel like mine is accurate. When I compare it to my running app (which estimates my cals-no sensors or anything), my FT4 is usually LESS than the app so I go with the HRM. Both of them being close though makes me feel like it should be accurate. I definitely don't think it is off by SO much that I would gain weight trusting the info.
  • junebaby21
    junebaby21 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    That does seem a little high.

Ties into my recent post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1031088-hrm-has-this-ever-happened-to-you
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Polar HRM's have tested out to be roughly 70% accurate for calorie count during an aerobic event...the bulk of the inaccuracy is BMR calories that you would have otherwise burned sitting on the couch...and then just estimation error due to the formula is not and cannot be 100% perfect because a HRM makes any number of assumptions in the formula. I'd take that burn and deduct about 30% for eating back exercise calories.

If I do that I come out to 565 calories which seem more in line with reality of an actual burn during that event. To burn 800 calories in 80 minutes, I have to be pretty much going at it...that's 10 calories per minute above my basal calories...that's workin' it, not really a recreational bike ride.
  • sarajeanelles
    sarajeanelles Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10, 153 and when I do a 45 minute spin class (really hard, sweat puddles, etc) I burn between 500 and 700 calories based on my FT4 so I think it sounds pretty good to me. I did a 2 hour class a few weeks ago and burned over 1200.