What can I do with an avocado?

Options
Besides make guacomole. Are they good to just eat raw or does anyone have any good recipes that include them?

Thanks. :)

Replies

• think48
    think48 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I am an avocado ADDICT. lol.

I love putting them on sandwiches. My favorite sandwich:

Toast whole wheat bread
    Place 1 slice cheddar cheese on toasted bread with sliced tomato and avocado. Sprinkle on a dash of salt and pepper. Top with lime juice.

YUMMMMMMMMMMM. I'd eat them every day if I could. And yes, I'd also just eat sliced avocado with lime juice at every sitting if I could!
  • Gidget86
    Gidget86 Posts: 45
    Options
    Make a salad diced tomato, diced avacado, diced hearts of palm, add some lowfat italian dressing yum

stuff with shrimp salad

add to a sandwich ex: turkey and avacado 'no need for mayo then'
  • somethingvague
    Options
    Oh my god, that sounds so delicious! Haha. I've never ate them outside of guacamole...but I have a feeling I'll be a big fan.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Don't you mean what CAN'T you do with an avocado? Wraps, pizzas, salads, sandwiches. If you'd put anything creamy (sour cream, cream cheese, mayonnaise) in or on it, you can substitute avocado, likely.

My favorite combo is chicken, swiss, and avocado. What's really yummy is a little slice of avocado on a Triscuit with a tiny dash of pepper. MMMM!!
  • mstarrett01
    mstarrett01 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I like to use it in place of mayo on my turkey burgers, yumm yumm. Also good in a salad.
  • suzyanne
    suzyanne Posts: 50
    Options
    YUMM!! Avocado, tomato and cheddar happens to be one of my favorite sandwiches too!! I also like to eat them on their own. Just cut them in half, remove the pit, put a bit of lemon or lime juice in the center and sprinkle with some salt and pepper. I usually just grab a spoon and eat them right out of the shell. I also like to dice them up, along with some tomato and top a salad with it..or some cottage cheese! Avocado is also one of my favorites..in case you didn't notice. :wink:
  • rockinmomto3
    rockinmomto3 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I LOVE avocados! Besides guac, I use it in place of mayo on all sandwiches (when I eat them) or in wraps with black beans and some cheese (again, in place of sour cream, which also packs on the calories). And I like to eat it by itself with just a little salt on it. Mmmm.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Mmmm.... I love avocado! I eat raw on salads, sandwiches, burgers, etc. I also make guacamole (just add a little garlic and lemon juice) or use avocado as a spread for sandwiches (especially BLTs -- yum!)
  • pinkandloopy
    Options
    add some lime, chilli , mash and mix with houmous on dark rye bread ,yum.
    Or stuff it and bake it!! scoop out insides, mix with almost anything ( tuna/ salmon/ cheese/ mushrooms, breadcrumbs, peppers and bake til soft
  • MrsVerhaeghe
    MrsVerhaeghe Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I love avocados. I usually eat them raw with some salt and pepper sprinkled on them. Or when I make a sandwich I replace the mayo with some avocado. It amazing.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Great ideas...........how do you keep it from browning if you don't eat it all at once?
  • HealthyEscape
    Options
    I use avo for EVERYTHING.

But really, all i need is one avo and a spoon and I am a happy camper :-) YUMM!

To keep from browning I put some lemon juice or lime juice over the remainder and put in airtight container. Good for a day or 2. If it turns brown, just mush it all together and you cna still eat it :-)
  • jeweljade
    Options
    It looks a little gross but I LOVE deviled eggs but don't want the mayo fat. So I mash up avocado and use it in the place of mayo to make deviled eggs. Green eggs =) ... and ham LOL
  • mindymoe1
    Options
    i like to slice it and put a creamy blue cheese dressing over it,or whatever dressing you like. tastes so good
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I've discovered that if you put the avocado (or in my case guacamole) in a ziplock bag and suck all the air out (I just use my lungs, not a fancy vacuum sealer or anything), it will stay green for a few days. Oxygen is what turns it brown, and brown avocados are still OK to eat. When it gets dark brown/black, it's not good anymore.
  • Families_R_Forever
    Options
    Don't you mean what CAN'T you do with an avocado? Wraps, pizzas, salads, sandwiches. If you'd put anything creamy (sour cream, cream cheese, mayonnaise) in or on it, you can substitute avocado, likely.

My favorite combo is chicken, swiss, and avocado. What's really yummy is a little slice of avocado on a Triscuit with a tiny dash of pepper. MMMM!!
    My thoughts exactly!!! I LOVE AVOCADOS!!!! One a day keeps the doc away...jk I only do a half but would love to have a whole one. I have to share with hubby unfortunatly and they are spendy for me. It is the only reason I would like to move to cali :)
  • SkyeBows
    SkyeBows Posts: 80
    Options
    I love simple turkey sandwiches with avocado smeared on it :)
  • sey719
    sey719 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It looks a little gross but I LOVE deviled eggs but don't want the mayo fat. So I mash up avocado and use it in the place of mayo to make deviled eggs. Green eggs =) ... and ham LOL

It never crossed my mind to try that. Thanks for sharing!
  • sagesitter
    Options
    It makes into a wonderful facial or hair treatment. Of course you can lick your lips while it sets on your face. LOL Use it wisely it is great on salad and sandwiches. Keep up the good work.
  • Mita_Mita
    Options
    I never liked raw cabbage... so I get just a bit of avacado, lime juice and salt and mash it together... & its so good. :)