Workout/throw up?

Options
So everytime I take a hiatus (I know this is bad) from exercise for a few month, the first time I try it again I almost always have to throw up. No matter how little or hard I push myself that first time. Ive had trainers tell me two different things 1 says its a good thing bc its imbalanced hormones re balancing (they say this on BIggest Loser too), other trainers tell me its not normal and bad and means Im pushing too hard. However, I really dont feel like Im working out that hard, it more feels like Im getting things moving that havent moved in a while.

Anyway, which is it? And it only happens the FIRST time I restart a workout regime. Does anyone else experience this?

Replies

• fluffykitsune
    fluffykitsune Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    You're working out too hard, you're really dehydrated or you haven't eaten enough food.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    You're working out too hard, you're really dehydrated or you haven't eaten enough food.

Yes. That ain't normal.
  • seblagg
    seblagg Posts: 42
    Options
    I agree with the above poster, make sure you are hydrated and have eaten enough before working out. I got ill during a first training session with a personal trainer and he made me sit down and eat something before continuing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Not normal....
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Wait a couple hours after the keg stand before you exercise.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    yup, what the others said, it's counter-intuitive, but being dehydrated makes you throw up.

anyhow, have you paid attention to how hard you're pushing yourself? it's possible you forgot how to listen to your body and are trying to push as hard as you remember, which, of course, after a few months of rest, you won't be up to yet.
    take it easy, even if your head says you ought to be able to do more....
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • linalovekitty
    Options

how long after my last pack of camels?

actually I dont smoke or drink, but I do enjoy pizza
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    It could be that you're dehydrated, pushing yourself too hard, haven't eaten enough (although, I sually feel light headed rather than naseous), or it could be that you ate too close to your workout. Are you trying to pick up where you left off when you come back? If it's been a couple months... even weeks, you'll have to start back at the beginning because muscles, unfortunately, are use em or lose em and it doesn't take very long to lose em.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Puking is not a good thing and any trainer that says it is should have whatever certifications they bought taken from them and burned.
  • cats847
    cats847 Posts: 131
    Options
    Throwing up damages your teeth, esophagus, and lining of your mouth. It can lead to serious electrolyte imbalances and should not be seen as a normal thing. Source: I am in nursing school.

Since you say that this occurs when you've taken a hiatus, the most probable cause is pushing too hard because you've underestimated how much progress you have lost during the hiatus. The exact same situation happened to me a couple of times after taking a fitness break. I tried to perform at my previous level and...puking happened.

The best solution is to lower your intensity level. Also, ginger is a potent anti-nausea agent. You can try eating a piece of ginger or sipping some ginger ale if you're starting to feel nauseous. Hope that helps
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    You have to hydrate, and not just right before working out. My husband told me in the army he'd drink gallon or two of water the night before to get ready for PT in the morning. I can't drink a gallon right before bed or anything, but hydrating well the day before will work wonders for your workout. Chances are it gets better once you get into the program because you'll hydrate afterwards and that prepares you well for the next day.