Depressed and determined

Options
Perhaps depressed may seem like a strong word; however that is how I feel right now. I have been on this on going battle with my weight. I am ADDICTED to food. When I say I am addicted to food, it is because it is all I think about from the moment I wake up to the moment I fall a sleep. I wake up at 5:30am during the work week to make my boyfriend-husband-baby daddy, breakfast, (I am Puerto Rican and the family says he is my husband since we live together and have children together). While I am making him breakfast and prepping his lunch, I do the same for the kids. I then open up the freezer and take out something for dinner. Once that is done I get ready for the day. I am running out of the house with breakfast in my hand… Oh SH** I forgot lunch. I then somehow manage to get to the market and pick up a yogurt, berries and a granola bar. While at work I am goggling healthy recipes for the meat I took out earlier, or the vegetable that is on it’s last leg. GRRR it is like 3:30pm and I am Starving, I am about to just eat my arm off. Pick up kids, prep dinner, while eating on anything that looks good. Once I sit down to eat I am not as hungry however the food I just cooked looks so GOOD that I overfill my plate. Because growing up my parents used to say “Eat everything on your plate or ELSE”, I eat everything on my plate regardless how full I am. While cleaning up I am thinking about what is dessert. I than indulge into whatever the boyfriend-husband-baby daddy wants for dessert. No wonder I can’t seem to loose the 35lbs that will move me from overweight to normal in the BMI category.
I really need to do a turn around. I am planning on doing this new thing that I read about, 10 in 10.
I plan on doing the following for a total of 10 weeks. Sticking to something for 10 weeks should allow me to get into a habit that will allow me become a more beautiful person inside and out.
Please check out my blog to keep me motivated.
1. Tracking my meals everyday to maintain 1200 calories/day
2. Washing the dishes at night vs the morning
3. Cutting back on sweets
4. Having rounder meals
5. Exercising at least 3-4 times a week
6. Blogging daily
7. Completing school work before the weekend
8. Spending more time with the family
9. Walking to work
10. Washing my face before bed

Replies

• anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Good luck :)
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    to make my boyfriend-husband-baby daddy....

Well, no WONDER you are depressed and have no time. Look at all the guys in your life that you are trying to make happy!! LOL! Have a happy day! :laugh:
  • etarre
    etarre Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I've been taught to always clean my plate, too....it sometimes helps to use a smaller plate or to take half the amount of food you think you'll want and be sure to have a cruncy vegetable to snack on throughout dinner...baby carrots or a salad with minimal/healthy dressing. Hope that helps you a little...
  • jdsouthernbelle
    Options
    1. Tracking my meals everyday to maintain 1200 calories/day
    2. Washing the dishes at night vs the morning
    3. Cutting back on sweets
    4. Having rounder meals
    5. Exercising at least 3-4 times a week
    6. Blogging daily
    7. Completing school work before the weekend
    8. Spending more time with the family
    9. Walking to work
    10. Washing my face before bed

These all sound like really good goals. Best of luck for the 10 in 10! One other suggestion that could go with # 4 is using smaller plates/bowls for smaller portion sizes. This will trick your mind into thinking that you have a fuller plate with a smaller bowl or plate yet you are getting a more appropriate portion.

Keep up the great work and let us know your progress!
  • TammyBee
    TammyBee Posts: 178
    Options
    I was always told to eat everything on my plate! I did the same to my kids until my youngest came along. He has a weak gag reflex and if he eats too much he will barf...When he says he is full he is full. lol
  • caroeden
    caroeden Posts: 31
    Options
    i love number 10. i have that same problem.

WTG! keep it up! you can do it!!
  • Maggie1960
    Maggie1960 Posts: 322
    Options
    10 in 10 sounds good. And I agree with the others, get a smaller plate then psychologically you'll think you're eating loads - sounds mad but it works.
  • pat82431
    pat82431 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Load up on salad and vegies … without the sauce, and little low-cal dressing. Then eat your meal. Or make the salad your meal. A friend of mine eats only salad … what he calls salad … no starches, just lots of lettuce with a little protein (whatever is served for the meal) and he loads it with the vegetables. And try not to eat white food.
    Eat during the day … don't let yourself get so hungry you can eat anything and everything. Eat two snacks during your work day; I recommend crunchy vegetables, Wasa crackers, and lots of water.
    And, that's a lot of goals for every day. If you don't meet all of your goals, please don't beat yourself up about it. Keep the long-term goal in sight and don't give up. Remember that every minute is new, and a new beginning starts now. :smile:

1669029.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • patti626
    patti626 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    good luck...you can do it!
  • yarinathan
    yarinathan Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hahaha you are totally right!!! Have a great day too!
  • Englishteacher
    Options
    When I first started this program, I was eating a lot of empty calories. Since starting, I eat healthier foods, and I can portion control much better. Weigh/measure your food before it hits the plate, drink water at meals (I add lemon), and wait before going back for seconds. You may find that what you just ate is enough. I still get my junk food fixes, too---just healthier versions, and a little less of them. When you are feeding the gang, it is hard to stay on track. My husband loves cheeseburgers!!! He has no weight issues, either. Heaven help me.

Good luck and much success.
  • eapr
    eapr Posts: 14
    Options
    I really like the ten in then idea. I may try that myself.

Smaller plate idea is really the way to go. It has helped me tremendously. You also need the support of the people you live with. Tell them your goals. Tell everyone!!!! The ones who care will support you. Does your boyfriend need to lose weight too?

Have you seen a doc or a nutritionist? I ask because maybe the 1200 calories a day is a stretch at first. Perhaps 1350 and then work your way to 1200...
  • eapr
    eapr Posts: 14
    Options
    I mean Ten in Ten...
  • debbie1268
    Options
    I wish you the best of luck... sounds like you are a busy lady and deserve it!!
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    You ARE a busy lady! You've come to the right place for support, so far these are the nicest people around and so supportive! I, too am completely addicted to food, I love it. I find comfort in eating, I eat when I am depressed, tired, sad, anxious, bored, lonely. You name it, I find a reason to eat for it. SLOWLY I am learning to work through this but it's a struggle every minute of the day. Some folks say take it "a day at a time". In my case, it's take it "10 minutes at a time".

Hang in there and good luck!!
  • knitgurl123
    Options
    Have you considered that you're thinking about food all the time and eating uncontrollably because you're stressed and exhausted? How much sleep are you getting? I crave sugar/carbs when I'm tired and/or stressed. Your body is trying desperately to get energy, and sugar/carbs are the quickest way to get it. However, you crash later, and it starts all over again. MAKE yourself get some rest; get your boyfriend to do some things for himself. Find some time for yourself; maybe yoga to help relax? I know it's hard to do for yourself when everyone else is wanting your time, but you have to take care of yourself, in order to be your best for them. It's like they say on the airplanes; you need to get the oxygen mask on yourself FIRST. It's not about being selfish; it's about getting your "oxygen." Hope this helps.
  • yarinathan
    Options
    English Teacher----Hahaha my boyfriend has no weight issues either! GOD help us both. :wink:
  • yarinathan
    Options
    EAPR--- you have a point, I just might have to see a doctor or a RD. I really don't know what to do! Thanks for your insight.
  • kimmi33
    kimmi33 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Just hang in there. Keep pushing through and you will finally get your mind on track. I am fighting this same battle with you...I think of food way too much also...But this is week 2 for me and I still have a great mindset. Keep up the good work.:wink: