My story w pics. *sensitive material in story*

Options
I'm just going to get straight to my story,

I'm 23, growing up as a teen, I was dealing with eating disorders and body image problems from the age of 12-16 where I got down to 97lbs. I don't know what the bleep I was thinking. Now that I have gotten older, my mind has changed so much and matured, I couldn't imagine still living my life like that. But at the time, it was SOOOO hard, it was literally the toughest thing I had been through in my young life.

Or so I thought. (i'll get to that)

Jump forward a few years (2 years ago, I was 21 about to be 22) My high school sweetheart proposed to me, we met in 9th grade and have been inseperable ever since. Going on 9 years here soon! Everything was going great, I'm a certified nursing assistant so I was busy working just like my boyfriend was. I started working out around November of 2011 in my crappy apartment gym that has 2 ellipticals, a treadmill, and a falling apart weight machine that had like 3 things on it. I was pushing 230 lbs although I am not sure the exact number.

Feb 2012 comes around, I've lost maybe 5lbs, we changed our eating habits completely, then we find out that I am pregnant. I just had a feeling so I took a test one night and literally freaked out. It was not planned, we were just completely startled. We honestly thought I would have a harder time getting pregnant from all the damage i had done from my eating disorder, and not to mention at the time i was at my heaviest. Things are a little scary because I did not have health insurance. I am self employed.

3 days after I take that test, I wake up violently sick, vomitting, head was spinning, my stomach felt like it was eating itself. SUPER LONG story short here, went to Emergency room, I was 5 weeks pregnant and they diagnosed me with hyperemesis gravidarum. SEVERE- life threatening morning sickness. I was told to go home, eat crackers, drink ginger ale, bla bla bla. I had never been pregnant before, I had never heard of this, even in my schooling.

Things got worse, by week 7 I had lost 15lbs, I no longer had the energy or sanity to shower or even brush my hair. Everything hurt. I spent most of my hours in the bathroom, either lying on the floor or having my head in the toilet throwing up intestinal fluid at this point. I had to go into the emergency room every 2-3 days because I would not be able to drink or eat ANYTHING. They gave me IV fluids and anti nausea medicine they give to chemo therapy patients. It didn't work too well.

I never had the chance to go to a OB/GYN, I was too sick, I also lost my full time job where I was making decent money. My sanity was on empty and I lost all hope in everything. during week 7, at one visit to the emergency room i was told that my kidneys were starting to go into failure. This didn't suprise me because for 4 days prior I had the worst pains in my lower back. I was sleeping maybe 3 hours a night, waking up like clock work at 4 am crying in pain because i was so hungry but i couldnt stand the bland, dry taste of plain toast anymore (usually ended up throwing it up anyways)

At 8 weeks I had an abortion. I was advised by emergency room doctors that either I find a way to afford $60k for a in home nurse, PIC line near my heart that would deliver nutrients to baby, ER bills, etc etc etcccccc AND risk my life and the babies, or basically risk my own life and the babies. Either way, it was too much of a risk for everyone.

I don't want to make this a thread about abortion, because that's not what I'm trying to do. This had a huge impact on my life and those arround me. My family no longer talks to me because they didn't 'understand'. A lot of people didn't get it. Not all women who get abortions get them because they don't want their child. I'm not ashamed because this event has made me the woman I am in 2013.

I had my time to cry and to grieve. Hell, it still hurts today, but It only makes me stronger.

It's been a year and a half since, I am down to 170. I'm finishing up week 10 at the gym, but I spent months before that in my crappy little apartment gym running 10+ miles a day on the elliptical. I'm so damn proud of myself, I've worked so hard. Through all the crap I've been through in my life, the deep depression I went through for many years, now I can finally say I hold my head high and I am the only person in my way.

Thanks for reading my story.

I honestly haven't taken very many pictures at all in the past year. That will change! I also don't own a scale, I weigh myself once in a while at my grandparents house.

Replies

• pinkpatron
    pinkpatron Posts: 154
    Options
    ughhhh i cant figure out how to make the pictures show
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    You needed to change the IMG to lower case. I only saw it for a minute but that was what it looked like to me. Though I didn't see the pictures your story is incredible. Keep up the good work.
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Aw I got to read it. You are such a strong woman!

Either way it looked like you had the pics all great except the IMG in the brackets you have should have been lower case instead of caps. You should definitely put it back up and celebrate your victory. You deserve it and I'm glad you are doing so well now.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Your story is phenomenal. You are the 2nd person in my entire life that had same pregnancy condition as yours. My old GF tho, had the insurance....she still almost died. The doctor saved her life. Your life is important, too, and you saved it. Who gives a rat's a** what so-called family thinks.... I can't wait to see your pictures.:flowerforyou:
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    You have been through so much...I am so sorry. My heart just aches for you and your loss and the fact that your family hasn't supported you. I have lost children in utero and after birth. It is the worst loss there is. In the religious family I am part of, I had to have an D&C after one of my miscarriages. The paperwork called it an abortion and there was this huge uproar in my family - they knew that the baby was dead but that I still was associated with that word. In your situation, you did the only thing you could do. It may be hard for people to find the balance between morality and right/wrong. Things did settle down for me and I hope for you. I am thinking of you and will light a candle for your little one! Namaste!
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    ChristinaOrtiz23 Posts: 1,546 Member
    Options
    i didnt get to ready it ;(
  • pinkpatron
    Options
    Ok I put it back up

i will fix the IMG problem in just a minute

i got scared and freaked out lol
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Awesome you got it! Great progress!! You look fantastic.
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    You are looking amazing! and I know how hard you work!! I love seeing your workouts pop up in my feed. You are truly a motivation!
  • upthestairs87
    upthestairs87 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Great job, I'm so sorry you had to go through all of that though. My heart breaks for you. It sounds like you made the best possible decision for you and your health. I'm glad you're doing well now, you are incredibly strong!
  • futurereporter88
    futurereporter88 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Great and inspirational story! Congratulations on all your accomplishments. You are such a strong woman!!
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    You do look lovely! Your hard work is paying off. Women like you make me proud to be one!
  • jotun87
    jotun87 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry that you had to go through this. Remember that your body is your choice - regardless of whether or not you wanted to keep the baby. Your famly should be happy that YOU are okay...and that there may be a chance of a baby in the future. I for one am you are safe.

That being said, you look great. Keep up at the gym, and until you're ready, invest in some condoms :flowerforyou:
  • pinkpatron
    Options
    thanks everyone, your comments are making me tear up!!
  • pinkpatron
    Options
    and until you're ready, invest in some condoms :flowerforyou:

Gir, let me tell you lol

I have enough condoms in my closet for atleast a year. I'm always giving them to friends, too lol they think i'm nuts.
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    ChristinaOrtiz23 Posts: 1,546 Member
    Options
    WOW, YOUR AE AN AMAZING WOMAN, I REALLY WANT TO SEE THE PICTURES THOUGH!!!
  • artsycella
    artsycella Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    What an incredible story. It sounds like you have overcome such hardship and that you are strong and doing amazing things with your life. I am sorry that you don't have the support of your family, and I'm sure you don't need strangers on the internet to offer you validation, but for what it's worth: it sounds like you made the right decision for you and your health and your family now and in the future. That takes such strength and courage and I admire you so very much for it.
  • jotun87
    jotun87 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    and until you're ready, invest in some condoms :flowerforyou:

Gir, let me tell you lol

I have enough condoms in my closet for atleast a year. I'm always giving them to friends, too lol they think i'm nuts.

I'm on the same crazy boat - I take birth control AND use condoms every time, and will until after I'm married AT LEAST!
  • sarajeanelles
    sarajeanelles Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    So sorry you had to go through that but congratulations on your great work, you look amazing!!!
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    what an amazing story - my heart goes out to you. I am so sorry for what you went through, and I am sorry that your family has not been supportive. This was a hard time for you and a time where you need your family to just be there for you without judgement.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!