I gained 20lbs overnight!!!

Options
Well, that's what you'd think looking at my progress meter.

A few months ago, I reached my target weight of 160lbs (well, 158.8lbs actually) and stopped weighing myself, but started on strength-training. Since then, I've gained 20lbs (and kept the 32 inch waist.) Today, though, I noticed my pants and my vest were getting a little tight so I'm back on a diet after eating like a body-builder for so long.

Anyway. Despite the fact that I know a lot of it is muscle gain, it's still really demoralising to have to 'reset' my weight to reflect my gain. It looks like I've fallen back on 2/3rds of my progress! Anybody else feel like this? Or are trying to balance muscle gain with weight loss?

Replies

• kk_stephens
    kk_stephens Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    That is why I dont necessarily agree with BMIs based on height and weight or weight as a measure of health,

Even at my fittest in the Army I was considered overweight -- but only had 20-22% body fat when "tape tested". Large frame and come from muscular stocky family.

Look at body builders or pro athletes (healthy ones) they are not all within their "healthy BMI range" or weight yet they are fit.

Dont get discouraged.
  • rolandhulme
    rolandhulme Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the motivation! I'll struggle on! ;-)
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    It's not a myth that muscle weighs more then fat. you have been putting it on. Bone density also has an impact on weight so BMI is for an average person NOT everyone or just anyone before you get too restrictive have a body fat measurement taking like the tape test or at most gyms they have multiple ways to measure body fat just ask. If you continue strength training make sure you meet caloric needs. Also can the pants not fitting be from muscle gain. My husband has great abs but as he does more to get them in shape the slight fat pad over them becomes more pronounced and then he has to increase his cardio again. It's not from his fat that is getting bigger just the muscles underneath it
  • caroeden
    caroeden Posts: 31
    Options
    it's very frustrating. just remember that 170 toned pounds is ALWAYS going to look better than 160 fat pounds. Good luck! Keep working!
  • tater8589
    tater8589 Posts: 616
    Options
    You may invest in one of the "fancy" scales that measures the different percentages. I have one that does fat/water, it works by using electric pulses (you can't feel them) through your feet to sense how much of each is there.