Zumba and P90X

Options
Okay. So I hear all kinds of things of ZUmba and P90X. How much do these cost and how effective are they? If I'm spending money that I can't waste on little things, I want to know which would be more for me.

I'm 232 lbs. I'm 5'6". I have a chunky belly and fat thighs and wobbly arms. I wanna tone up all of those areas.
I'm not extremely flexible and I'm always pressed for time.

Which would be more for me? Anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• lizziewhan
    lizziewhan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    well for starters..neither one of these will work for you if you are always pressed for time. you have to make time in your day to workout. ive been to a few Zumba classes at the gym i used to be a member of...they were an hour long.

im currently doing p90x and you have to commit 60 to 90 minutes EACH day 6 days a week. you have to put in the time to see results! i love p90x and in 4 weeks have lost 8 inches. so it would get my vote!
  • reesepieces
    reesepieces Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    see...i wouldn't be able to commit to 6 times a week. i have night classes and a 2 1/2 year old lil boy (he might enjoy doin the exercises with me). i could maybe do 3-4 times a week.
  • ryssaan
    ryssaan Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    can you exercise at home. the jillian michaels 30 day shred is pretty good and it's only 30 minutes. if you can do that every day for 30 it would be good
  • karlowe
    karlowe Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I bought the Zumba dvd set. multiple DVDs and they vary from 20min to 60min. I am able to start supper, put on a load of clothes, and then start the DVD in the living room. it works for me! and it is soooo fun! LOVE IT!
  • kathylamb
    kathylamb Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What is p90x?
  • ocean10844
    ocean10844 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Definetly zumba
  • jddicarlo
    jddicarlo Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You may want to try 10-Minute Trainer. It is another Beachbody product with Tony Horton (like P90X). It has 5 workout segments that each are 10 minutes in length. With a warm up and cool down, each one may take you 12-15 minutes. You can do one a day and if you have time and energy can stack two or three together. I started with 10-Minute Trainer and lost 40 lbs in about 6 months. I was only doing 1 segment a day at the start and gradually moved up to 2 and 3 at a time. It's not as expensive as P90X and is a good workout (you will sweat despite only 10 minutes per segment). Definitely got me on the right track and was a great starter for getting back into shape.
  • JustBeckyV
    JustBeckyV Posts: 182
    Options
    I have been researching something like this myelf and it seems like Power 90 which is the same guy as the p90x and it's only 35 minutes.
  • Squash97
    Squash97 Posts: 84
    Options
    I have the Turbo Jam program, and I really like it. It comes with multiple workouts, some 50 minutes, some 40 minutes, and if I'm pressed for time, I'll do the 20 minute one just so that I feel like I'm keeping my body active. It is based on martial arts, like kickboxing, but it has a dance feel to it so that it is really fun. It's about finding what you enjoy and what works for you. I hope you find something that you enjoy and keeps you motivated!
  • reesepieces
    reesepieces Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone. i think i will just play around and see what i can find! :happy:
  • johnphays
    Options
    Beachbody (The company that makes P90X) has many, many programs, for all fitness levels AND all time constraints. For the super busy, they have an awesome program called 10 Minute Trainer, where you get a total workout in just 10 minutes.

I have a few nice simple charts I can email you with comparisons of the programs given time, intensity, type of workout, etc...just shoot me an email - jimmyolsen@yahoo.com

I won't knock Zumba, because any program can be effective if you work at it hard enough, but I'm more familiar with the Beachbody products, and I know for a fact that since they ALSO come with full nutrition plans AND total support from a coach such as myself, that it's a proven effective way to see real results, no matter what your current lifestyle!

John
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    P90X is for someone that can workout 6 days a week. It's a 90 day program. Power 90 is a 90 day program as well. The cheapest route is Jillian's Shred. Zumba is a good program, only if you do it. If you're committed to exercising then any of the programs will help. If you're just interested in exercising, then you can get something for $10 at Target.

You can look at the exercise program charts by going directly to the beachbody.com web-site.
  • Sparren
    Sparren Posts: 106
    Options
    I love zumba and our current classes are running twice a week. I also have two little boys at home with me, so I've downloaded some of the zumba music off itunes (I'm too tight to buy the DVD set) and do my own routines at home with the boys. I try and work out 5-6 times a week. Even if you manage 20-30 minutes in the morning and maybe again in the afternoon, it would be better than nothing. You have to move it to lose it!
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    if time is an issue, i also nominate jillian michael's 30 day shred - short, sweet and intense!