Why am I not losing any weight / inches?

Options
What am I doing wrong? I am in my 2nd week. I've gained 4 lbs! And, even gained in inches on my hips! I know I've cheated here and there especially over the weekend but I haven't eaten all my workout calories last week because I knew I was going to eat bad this past weekend. Can someone take a look at my profile? What am I doing wrong? HELP!

Replies

• klmmoore
    klmmoore Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You might want to cut back on the sodium and drink more water. Also, increase your exercise a little. Hope that helps.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I just looked back about 3-4 days and it looks to me like you are going over on sodium a lot. One day you have hot dogs listed with no sodium in them, which is impossible because they are one of the highest sodium foods on the planet. So, even though that day shows you didn't go over, you probably were over because of adding in the sodium from the hot dogs. Sodium will cause water retention, which shows up on the scale and as bloating in the abdominal (lower abs are right in front of the hips so they often get measured together) area, especially in women. I'd recommend upping your water intake to flush out the extra sodium on the days you are going to eat that much of it and try to cut out so much processed food that is high in sodium.
  • tierra85
    tierra85 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I took a quick look at your diary and i am not expert but here are some tips i'd give. It looks like you eat out alot which you can't really control what goes into your meals. You eat your calories but it doesn't seem like healthy calories. You should try to eat a bigger breakfast if you can and smaller meals spread out through out the day. Add more healthy protein. If you want you can add me as a friend and then you can see my food diary. There could be something you like. I hope i could help in anyway. Best of luck to you!! :smile:
  • AmyW4225
    AmyW4225 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    It can be VERY frustrating in the beginning, I know! When you start exercising, your muscles can retain some water. It's only temporary. Watch your sodium intake and make sure you're drinking plenty of water. Otherwise, keep exercising and counting calories and it WILL start to come off. No matter how frustrating it is, just keep doing it. I was there in the beginning. I would exercise and gain and not exercise and lose, but keep with the exercise! And get that out of your mind that you "cheated." This is not a DIET it's a lifestyle change. Diets DON'T work! I eat whatever I want and stay within my calorie goal and have lost 25 lbs. You CAN do it, too. Good luck!! :happy:
  • Losetheweightnat
    Losetheweightnat Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    :noway: You got to cut down on your sodium amount! Drink more water and try to cut down on the sugar as well. Keep up the good work on your exercising though! :flowerforyou:
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,642 Member
    Options
    Well, off the top of my head (and after checking out the past couple weeks on your food diary), your sodium is, more often than not, twice the recommended daily allowance so that's going to pack on weight until it gets flushed out.

Also, you don't come close to your daily calorie goal nearly enough. Unless you don't log everything, you're consistently under 300-600 calories a day and rarely hitting your 1200 calorie goal. Sometimes you're under 1000! 1200 calories is the bare minimum for women (that's not even including what your actual bmr is) so you want to eat most, if not all, of your exercise calories back since you already have a build in calorie deficit when you set up your goal to lose weight each week. What happens, if you don't, is your body is going to think no more food is coming and will hoard every last calorie you put into it...and you'll gain weight. And screw up your metabolism.

Also, unless you're not logging all your water, you should probably get 6-8 (at the very least) glasses a day and you're under most days.

I don't like being a hypocrite so I won't mention all that fast food. :P
  • Families_R_Forever
    Options
    I took a quick look at your diary and i am not expert but here are some tips i'd give. It looks like you eat out alot which you can't really control what goes into your meals. You eat your calories but it doesn't seem like healthy calories. You should try to eat a bigger breakfast if you can and smaller meals spread out through out the day. Add more healthy protein. If you want you can add me as a friend and then you can see my food diary. There could be something you like. I hope i could help in anyway. Best of luck to you!! :smile:
    I was thinking the same thing about the fast food...Try choosing heathier cals and you will also have more energy. Fast food is wasted cals in my opinion. Drink lots of water like the others said...the sodium will get ya!!!
  • themyriadthings
    themyriadthings Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new at this but the only thing I would add is to try and cut out the pop/soda and have water instead, and to eat more whole natural foods instead of processed ones. You get to eat a lot more stuff that way! It's a learning curve alright! Good luck!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    YOu might want to try tracking your fat intake, to see if you're way over goal. It isn't really, ultimately, make-or-break as far as weight loss is concerned, but going WAY over might indicate you need better choices.
  • mcannava
    mcannava Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Perhaps, PMS.
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    My body is soo tempermental...if i eat salty foods, and get on the scale the next day its ALWAYS 2-4 lbs. higher...i drink a ton of water..but i do love dt. coke also, but if i drink a coke, i make sure to follow it with a liter of water....sometimes i drink a few sodas a day....but drinking water with anything with sodium helps...i think anyway ;)
  • gnutrifitness
    gnutrifitness Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Remember that those cheat days can really ruine all the effort you've done. You have to try to stick to your daily goal!; also I took a look in your diary and I can notice that you're skipping breakfast or having a very little amount of food in this meal. Remember that the breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day, you have to add more sources of protein (cottage chesse, eggwhites, 1% milk, greek yogurt...) and fibrous fruits and grains!. Also try to do 5-6 meal a day to pump up your metabolism. Eating outside also can make you overeat, i suggest you to pack your lunches and other meals, and avoid eating outside. They always add more fat, and it's loaded with a lot of sodium. A good way to start would be:

Breakfast: Oatmeal with 2% milk and a fruit.
    Snack: Fruits/ Yogurt/Nuts
    Lunch: A sandwich with grilled chicken, made with 100% whole wheat bread, some veggies and a low fat dressing.
    Snack: Protein shake/Nuts/Granola Bar
    Dinner: Fish fillet/ Steak (avoid sauces and lots of butter or oil), brown rice, broccoli.

If you eat like that you maybe rich your daily goal but from healthy and good calories, with a lot of protein, fiber and low sodium.

Also, say NO to soda and alcohol!...I hope i could help! Good luck:wink:
  • Jamiebee24
    Jamiebee24 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    well, your diet is terrible. you are making a life style change, i hope, and you won't change your life if you continue to eat like that!! here are some tips from just looking at a few days of your diary (sorry if they are repeats off of the others!!) drink more water, control your sodium, STOP EATING OUT, try and cut out soda, eat more fruits and veggies---thats all that comes to mind right now---but feel free to add me as a friend and take a look at my diary for ideas. I used to be a diet coke aholic---and now I don't allow myself to have one until I have drank my water for the day---and there are days now that I would rather just have the water! Planning my meals, and logging them before I eat it really helps me see what I am putting into my mouth---it gives me time to mess with other foods to make it the most beneficial. I make a lot of food on Sundays---cut up my fruits and veggies, make some chicken salad, make some dips, hard boil eggs, ect for the week---so I HAVE to eat it during the week that way I won't go out cause it's easier! Hope some of these tips help---good luck!
  • acreator24
    acreator24 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Eating your workout calories is probably the problem.... heard this on "the biggest loser" before and talked to my doc about it and he said that was not the way. He explained it to me this way.... to lose 1lb per week you need create a 3500 calorie deficit. 2lbs is a 7000 calorie deficit per week! With numbers like that it's easy to see how eating your workout calories can screw you at the end of the week. Try it one week....see what happens and let me know.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I would say definatley sodium and going over on your calories..it doesnt seem like your getting enough leafy greens like spinach,kale etc....dry beans are better than canned less sodium...good luck
  • johnphays
    Options
    You have to have a plan and stick to it, plan the entire week's meals on the weekend, even cook them and bag them up if you find yourself in a time crunch.

Here, print this out and use it as your grocery list:

http://www.beachbody.com/category/michis_ladder.do

Sticking to the top 2 tiers of that ensures a clean diet, and it's a ton of great foods you can mix up however you'd like for healthy tasty meals. That's the basis of all Beachbody nutrition plans for programs like P90X, Insanity, etc...start there, and if you still have issues, let me know - jimmyolsen@yahoo.com
  • xDeannaGarciax
    Options
    Ok I took a quick look at your diary and it's looks to me like it's not the "not eating workout calories" that is the problem, your sodium is always high and you eat out alot, instead of going out to eat in the morning (I'm assuming on your way to work) buy things at the grocery store that are easy and quick to grab and run out the door. I like to eat a piece of Weight Watchers Wheat bread with a tablespoon of reduced fat/sodium peanut butter and a cup of coffee if your still hungry throw in a banana or some yogart, I try to consume most carbs (good carbs) in the morning, and through out the day, ease up on them a bit.

My best reccomendations would be, NO MORE EATING OUT! First off, secondly, if you have to drink soda at least drink diet or pepsi one, Coke Zero, something like that so your eliminating at least calories that you consume through drinks. I rarely ever consue any calories from drinks if I do it's usually on the weekends if I'm drinking alcoholic beverages. Thirdly more greens, veggies, natural foods not all kinds of processed junk. My grandma use to tell me the more colorful your salad the healthier it is for you and if you have to have salad dressing on salads or aren't fond of salad there's ton's of tasty vinagerette dressings that are delish, and with some tuna, homemade chicken salad, chicken, reduced fat lunch meat, any of that, soooo yummy!!! Also drink your water girl. At the very least 8 glasses, to "spice it up" a bit add some lemon or cucumber! Good luck. Let us know how it goes, hope it's of some help, oh and one last thing TOM messes with all of that stuff to weight/inches.
  • acreator24
    Options
    Goodness.....the others are right , I looked at your diary and you can't just eat a fiber one bar one day and McDonalds and other fast food all day the next. Your goal is 1200 calories and that is practically starvation! So you have to eat 1200 every day, my friend...and try not to go over.

Sounds like me when I first started this, honestly. You starve to a point of binge eating...then try to do better the next day. Dont go from one extreme to the next. I've found that eating something small every couple of hours stops hunger pains and binge eating. To eat every couple of hours I take little snacks with me when I go out and I've found 100 calorie snack packs to be my new best friends. Expensive, but portable. I keep them in my car or motorcycle. Gotta think ahead a bit.

My wife is also limited to 1200 calories per day and she struggles but she's fined tuned her day to the point where she hits her numbers consistently and her weight is dropping off like it's supposed to.

Dont be discouraged...you can do it...just need to find your Rhythm.
  • acreator24
    Options
    You have to have a plan and stick to it, plan the entire week's meals on the weekend, even cook them and bag them up if you find yourself in a time crunch.

Here, print this out and use it as your grocery list:

http://www.beachbody.com/category/michis_ladder.do

Sticking to the top 2 tiers of that ensures a clean diet, and it's a ton of great foods you can mix up however you'd like for healthy tasty meals. That's the basis of all Beachbody nutrition plans for programs like P90X, Insanity, etc...start there, and if you still have issues, let me know - jimmyolsen@yahoo.com

Great list!!
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I still see many people that are confused or "question" the idea of eating your exercise calories. I wanted to try (as futile as this may turn out to be) to explain the concept in no uncertain terms. I'll save the question of "eating your exercise calories" for the end because I want people to understand WHY we say to do this.

NOTE: I'm not going to use a lot of citation in this, but I don't want people thinking this is my opinion, I have put much careful research into it, most of which is very complicated and took a long time for me to sift through and summarize, and thanks to my chemical engineering backgroud I have the tools to read clinical studies and translate them (somewhat) into more human terms. Some of this information comes from sources I can't forward because they are from pay sites (like New England Journal of Medicine), so you can ask for anything, but I may or may not be able to readilly provide it for you (I can always tell you where to go if you want to though).

I'll break it down into 3 sections.
    Section 1 will be our metabolic lifecycle or what happens when we eat and how our body burns fuel.
    Section 2 will be what happens when we receive too much, too little, or the wrong kind of fuel.
    Section 3 will be the steps needed to bring the body to a healthy state and how the body "thinks" on a sympathetic level (the automatic things our body does like digestion, and energy distribution).

Section 1:
    Metabolism, in "layman's" terms, is the process of taking in food, breaking it down into it's components, using the food as fuel and building blocks, and the disposal of the poisons and waste that we ingest as part of it. Metabolism has three overall factors, genetics, nutrition, and environment. So who we are, what we eat, and how we live all contribute to how our metabolism works. You can control 2 of these 3 factors (nutrition, environment).
    When you eat food, it is broken down into it's component parts. Protein, vitamins and minerals are transported to the cells that need them to build new cells or repair existing cells. Fats(fatty acid molecules) and carbohydrates are processed (by 2 different means) and either immediately burned or stored for energy. Because the body doesn't store food in a pre-digested state, if you eat more carbs and fat then you need immediately, the body will save them for later in human fat cells (adipose tissue). This is important to realize because even if you eat the correct number of calories in a 24 hour period, if you eat in large quantities infrequently (more then you can burn during the digestion process), your body will still store the extra as fat and eliminate some of the nutrients. (Side note: this is why simple or processed carbs are worse for you compared with complex carbs)

Section 2:
    The human body has a set metabolic rate (based on the criteria stated above), this rate can be changed by overall nutritional intake over a period of time, or by increasing activity levels also over a period of time (the exact amount of time for sustained increase in metabolic rates is the subject of some debate, but all studies agree that any increase in activity level will increse the metabolism).
    It is important to note that obesity does not drasticly change the level of metabolic process, that means that if you become obese, you don't burn a higher fat percentage just because you have more to burn.
    The balance of incomming fuel vs the amount of fuel the body uses is called maintenance calories, or the amount of calories it takes to run your body during a normal day (not including exercise or an extremely lethargic day). The metabolism is a sympathetic process, this means it will utilize lower brain function to control it's level, it also means it can actively "learn" how a body is fitness wise, and knows approximately how much energy it needs to function correctly. It also means automatic reactions will happen when too much or too little fuel is taken in. Too much fuel triggers fat storage, adipose tissue expands and fat is deposited, also free "fat" cells (triglycerides) will circulate in the blood stream (HDL and LDL cholesterol). Too little fuel (again, over an extended period) triggers a survival mode instinct, where the body recognizes the lack of fuel comming in and attempts to minimize body function (slowing down of non-essential organ function) and the maximization of fat storage. It's important to note that this isn't a "switch", the body does this as an ongoing analysis and will adjust the levels of this as needed (there is no "line" between normal and survival mode.).
    When you're activity level increases, the human body will perform multiple functions, first, readily available carbohydrates and fats are broken down into fuel, oxydized, and sent directly to the areas that need fuel, next adipose (body) fat is retreived, oxydized, and transported to the areas it is needed for additional fuel, 3rd (and this is important), if fat stores are not easilly reachable (as in people with a healthy BMI where adipose fat is much more scarce), muscle is broken down and used for energy. What people must realize is that the metabolism is an efficiency engine, it will take the best available source of energy, if fat stores are too far away from the systems that need them or too dense to break down quickly, then it won't wait for the slower transfer, it will start breaking down muscle (while still breaking down some of that dense fat as well).

Section 3:
    The wonderful part of the human metabolic system is it's ability to adapt and change. Just because your body has entered a certain state, doesn't mean it will stay that way. The downfall to this is that if organs go unused over a long period, they can lose functionality and can take years to fully recover(and sometimes never).
    As long as there is no permenant damage to organ function, most people can "re-train" their metabolism to be more efficient by essentially showing it (with the intake of the proper levels and nutritional elements) that it will always have the right amount and types of fuel. This is also known as a healthy nutritional intake.
    Going to the extreme one way or the other with fuel consumption will cause the metabolism to react, the more drastic the swing, the more drastic the metabolism reacts to this (for example, a diet that limits fat or cabohydrate intake to very low levels). In general terms, the metabolism will react with predictable results if fuel levels remain in a range it associates with normal fuel levels. If you raise these fuel levels it will react by storing more fat, if you lower these fuel levels, it will react by shutting down processes and storing fat for the "upcomming" famine levels. The most prominent immediate issues (in no particular order) with caloric levels below normal are reduced muscle function, reduction of muscle size and density, liver and kidney failures, increase in LDL (bad) cholesterol levels, and gallstones .

Now onto the question of "Eating your exercise calories"

As I have hinted to throughout this summary of metabolic process, the body has a "range" in which it feels it is receiving the right amount of fuel. The range (as most doctors and research scientists agree) is somewhere between 500 calories above your maintenance calories and 1000 calories below your maintenance calories. This means that the metabolism won't drastically change it's functionality in this range, with that said, this is not exact, it is a range based on averages, you may have a larger or smaller range based on the 3 factors of metabolism stated at the top.
    On our website (MyFitnessPal), when you enter your goals, there is a prebuilt deficit designed to keep you in the "normal" metabolic functionality while still burning more calories then you take in. This goal DOES NOT INCLUDE exercise until you enter it. If you enter exercise into your daily plan, the site automatically adjusts your total caloric needs to stay within that normal range (in other words, just put your exercise in, don't worry about doing any additional calculations). Not eating exercise calories can bring you outside that range and (if done over an extended period of days or weeks) will gradually send your body into survival mode, making it harder (but not impossible) to continue to lose weight. The important thing to understand is (and this is REALLY important) the closer you are to your overall healthy weight (again, your metabolism views this a a range, not a specific number) the more prominant the survival mode becomes (remember, we talked about efficiency). This is because as fat becomes scarce, muscle is easier to break down and transport. And thus, the reason why it's harder to lose that "Last 10 pounds".

I really hope this puts a lot of questions to bed. I know people struggle with this issue and I want to make sure they have the straight facts of why we all harp on eating your exercise calories.

-Regards,

Banks

Someone passed this onto me. Thought it might be helpful.