Can someone drag me to the gym !!!!!!!

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    What I did once I got done making excuses for myself was to just not make the gym optional. I don't know about you but when I plan my day I put in all the non-negotiables first (like work, the pharmacy, etc.) and then I fill in with things I plan to do but if I don't get them done it's not the end of the world. Well, the gym used to be on the second list. So if I didn't feel like it, or if I really needed to do one more load of laundry or whatever then I'd let myself out of going. Once I moved the gym to my "must do" list and stopped making it an optional activity it fell into place. Now I love going and hate to miss, but it wasn't always that way. Commitment is what you need, because motivation is fickle.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    What I did once I got done making excuses for myself was to just not make the gym optional. I don't know about you but when I plan my day I put in all the non-negotiables first (like work, the pharmacy, etc.) and then I fill in with things I plan to do but if I don't get them done it's not the end of the world. Well, the gym used to be on the second list. So if I didn't feel like it, or if I really needed to do one more load of laundry or whatever then I'd let myself out of going. Once I moved the gym to my "must do" list and stopped making it an optional activity it fell into place. Now I love going and hate to miss, but it wasn't always that way. Commitment is what you need, because motivation is fickle.

I will be using this quote in the future.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    the gym is a part of my daily routine...whenever I have a rest day I do not know what to do with myself...

All I can say is get your as$ in gear ..go when you want to and go when you feel like crap..eventually it will become a part of your routine and you will not not want to go...
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Step 1) Get off work
    Step 2) Get in car
    Step 3) Drive to gym
    Step 4) Drag butt out of car and enter gym
    Step 5) Run, jog, step, pick heavy things up and put them down
    Step 6) Leave gym feeling like a badass
    Step 7) Go home and enjoy the rest of your evening
  • heatherstone5
    heatherstone5 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Gyms aren't for everyone. There are a million ways to exercise, so find one that you like that you don't have to force yourself to do. I personally despise going to the gym. I would much rather take my dog for a long walk, or ride my bike on some beautiful back roads where I can enjoy the scenery.
  • karenertl
    karenertl Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'd offer to go with you, but probably don't live anywhere near you. I could use something to do and going to the gym sounds like a great idea.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Suck it up and go until you're over the stigma that you don't want to go to the gym or find another exercise you enjoy.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    "If it's important to you, you'll find a way. If it's not, you'll find an excuse."

Hearing that is what got me going. I heard it in April and have been 5-6 days a week ever since.
  • kristle_stewart
    kristle_stewart Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It helps if you have a plan to follow/ I am using the 12 week workout from bodybuilding.com. Its called the woman's lean sexy bible. I am almost done with week 4 and I can see and feel a difference. I don't want to miss a workout. Good luck. :smile:
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    If you don't find it in yourself to go and keep going it won't work. You have to decide, now, if you are going to do it for real or just half-heartedly go and then give up.

If you count on someone else to help you over that hump you won't have what it takes to keep going 6 months later when it gets hard. Or a year later. So your topic is all wrong, in attitude, shape and form. I'm telling you what you need to do, only you can make it happen.
  • Looby47
    Looby47 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all replies. I've only just realised I got some! My phone didn't tell me! I'll read them all when I get to work later (night shift!). My ipod arm strap arrived and I've bought a new rucksack so now feel very inspired to get fit to get hillwalking again! (I need to stop buying things and planning and just DO IT!
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    if you want it bad enough?

Perfectly stated!
  • shirleylmartin
    shirleylmartin Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Any ideas / pep talks to get me to the gym? yeah yeah I know only I can do it but ...... I nearly cancelled it as not been for a few months, persuaded partner to join so we can go together ...... we both not been yet - he works late!

I've tried getting my gym clothes on in the morning .... but I just keep having one more cuppa, one more house job and then don't go.

I've tried packing bag into car to go on way back from work .... but I drive past, telling myself I'm tired and I'll go tomorrow.

I've made a playlist for gym on my ipod .... armband arriving tomorrow to make it easy to wear. Off work tomorrow until 9pm, maybe I'll go when armband arrives !!!!????

Quick run down - I'm not fit, need to lose about 50lbs, want to be able to hillwalk again, recently did 13 mile marathon walk but now unfit again, work shifts full time, no kids, no excuses.

Any ideas?

Since it is so difficult for you to get to the gym, why don't you bring the gym to your place?! I'm going to be joining a challenge group in a little bit, and it's all at-home exercise. If you want, I can send you the info about it. Think about it: no gym memberships, daily motivation from other people with similar goals... that sounds like heaven for me!
  • loothi
    loothi Posts: 11
    Options
    I prefer classes as I enjoy the relationship with other class members and the teachers. If no one noticed if I was there or not, I'd find that much harder. Also, pick something you genuinely enjoy - spin or bodypump appeal to me much more than just jumping on a treadmill.

Agreed too about the get dressed for it first, although I hear it didn't work for you. I read somewhere that people who watched videos of themselves exercising were more motivated to do more (was a science thing, so not sure how you make this happen in real life?) Maybe a motivational pic of lifting some weights by your bed?! :)

Best of luck!
    x
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    At some point you will either decide to go or you will not. No one here is going to drag you there.

THIS! ^^^ You have to decide if you really want results and work for them or not. Someone can take you there, but that means nothing if you don't want the results bad enough.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    You need to make it a rewarding experience to want to go and not only that but you also need to make it a habit.

Creating a habit means doing it whether or not you are tired, motivated or excited to do it until it no longer feels like you have to do but feels more like you want to do it/love doing it.

Best of luck!
  • rcclcruiser
    rcclcruiser Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to cancel or freeze your gym membership. I did and have done better without it. I work-out with exercise DVD's at home - Turbo Jam, Pilates, Ballet, and more. Living in the Houston area, I do enough driving as it is, without having to add somewhere else to drive to in my schedule.

I walk the dog as soon as I wake up, then do the exercise DVD's. When I had the gym membership, I kept getting distracted before I ever actually left the house. I did use my gym membership a lot, but found that I really wasn't enjoying it.

I also started the Flat Belly Diet. It is a book by the Editors of Prevention Magazine. I eat great food, am never hungry, and have no cravings.
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I could drag you to the gym because that would add to my calorie burn, but you would have to want to be there. A little over a year ago I was the person that HATED exercising. I hated every thing about it and I literally had to kick my own *kitten* out the door every single day until it became second nature. It took about 2 months of getting over the mind set of "this is just showing me how bad I let this get and I should give up because I can barely do anything anyway." I set small goals and did better each day and I have really come to love the hour and half I spend on exercise most days now. You will get there when you decide the benefit is better than the excuses.
  • jesuison
    jesuison Posts: 34
    Options
    Have you tried signing up for classes? I don't know about your gym, but where I go, you have to sign up to be in a class. If you cancel within an hour or don't show up, it is considered a Late Cancel. If you have so many Late Cancels they won't let you sign up for classes for a month. I find that pretty motivating.

If your gym doesn't do that, or offer classes, find one that does offer them. It really is much much easier to go when you have someone telling you to workout.

If getting there is your problem, I agree with a previous poster that you should find a physical activity that you enjoy doing. That way it is not such a pain to go.
  • Looby47
    Looby47 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Late reply/update: thank you to all of you who sent positive or otherwise inspiring replies. I have only just read some of them as after initially being upset by 'harsh' words that missed the point of my intentionally self critical posting, I have only just gone back onto the forum boards and there's some good advice and quotes here.

I am, in any case, totally turned around, changed my lifestyle, lost 2 stone, got loads fitter and addicted to exercise of whatever form fits in that day, usually gym on way to or from work. another 2st 8lbs to go !!!!