Quick question about calories

Options
I have just done a 20 minute workout in which I burned 330 cals, but left my heart rate monitor on for a another 40 mins after the exercise, just while I was pottering about the house, and according to my heart rate monitor in that 40 mins I burned another 800cals, I was just wandering if I could use these extra cals ( i know Im prob wishful thinking lol) or would these be accounted for in my daily calorie allowance?

Replies

• itsmandible
    itsmandible Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Were you running? Running has a high afterburn, so that very well could've been a still accelerated calorie burn! That being said though, I wouldn't count it, better safe than sorry!
  • Lindyxx
    Lindyxx Posts: 34
    Options
    Were you running? Running has a high afterburn, so that very well could've been a still accelerated calorie burn! That being said though, I wouldn't count it, better safe than sorry!

No wasnt running was a befit 30 abs workout
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    That seems pretty high. What were you doing? Burning 800 calories pottering around the house for 40 minutes makes me think you need a better HRM.
  • Lindyxx
    Options
    That seems pretty high. What were you doing? Burning 800 calories pottering around the house for 40 minutes makes me think you need a better HRM.

I was using weights in the workout so not sure if thats anything to do with it,I was just generally looking after my 2 year old, making dinner etc, but I thought it was quite high myself, Im using a solo sportline 915 hrm, hope its not that, thats way out, or that means all my exercise routines I have been doing are calculated wrong :/
  • Teele86
    Teele86 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Research what algorithm your HRM monitor uses. I have just started using a Garmin 210 and it uses one of the most accurate algorithms to assess calories burned only 7-10% buffer. 60 mins of heavy training while riding my horse and I burn 330 cals. Everyone is different but it sounds a little bit out ;) if you've been losing while using it during your classes though I would still use it and just take it with a grain of salt.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

I was using weights in the workout so not sure if thats anything to do with it,I was just generally looking after my 2 year old, making dinner etc, but I thought it was quite high myself, Im using a solo sportline 915 hrm, hope its not that, thats way out, or that means all my exercise routines I have been doing are calculated wrong :/

I would venture to say that it's the HRM being off. 330 for a 20 minute workout even with weights seems unlikely to me. Of course, you have to factor in how often it happens that I am very wrong about stuff (hint: OFTEN). Hopefully someone with a more intimate knowledge of HRMs will chime in!
  • Lindyxx
    Options
    Research what algorithm your HRM monitor uses. I have just started using a Garmin 210 and it uses one of the most accurate algorithms to assess calories burned only 7-10% buffer. 60 mins of heavy training while riding my horse and I burn 330 cals. Everyone is different but it sounds a little bit out ;) if you've been losing while using it during your classes though I would still use it and just take it with a grain of salt.
    How would I find this out please had a quick look but not sure what Im looking for? I was losing weight using it but last 3 weeks seems to come to a standstill.
  • Lindyxx
    Options

I would venture to say that it's the HRM being off. 330 for a 20 minute workout even with weights seems unlikely to me. Of course, you have to factor in how often it happens that I am very wrong about stuff (hint: OFTEN). Hopefully someone with a more intimate knowledge of HRMs will chime in!

Thanks for reply, hopefully its not wrong, I do have a good bit of weight to lose, so Im hoping thats why I burned so many cals in 20mins
  • Teele86
    Teele86 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You would have to research which heart rate monitor you use and see if you can uncover it. Garmin have some really hard reviewers that get right into all the stats. It may be time to upgrade or can you borrow a friends and see if there are major discrepancies. If you eat back every single exercise calorie but it is over calculating then your weight lose may slow. I would either try and figure out its reliability or I would build in a % clause say assume its 80% correct and only eat back that amount.
  • Lindyxx
    Options
    You would have to research which heart rate monitor you use and see if you can uncover it. Garmin have some really hard reviewers that get right into all the stats. It may be time to upgrade or can you borrow a friends and see if there are major discrepancies. If you eat back every single exercise calorie but it is over calculating then your weight lose may slow. I would either try and figure out its reliability or I would build in a % clause say assume its 80% correct and only eat back that amount.

Thanks Teele, think Im just going to do it the TDEE way then my exercise calories are counted in, tho by calculating my TDEE, there doesnt seem to be much difference in what Ive been doing, calorie wise