interesting article

Options
jen_zz
jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
listverse.com/2013/06/28/10-ways-food-and-drink-companies-are-taking-over-the-world/

Replies

• nee90
    nee90 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It is very intresting .... but also very disturbing...
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I think this is fantastic. This type of information makes me all warm and fuzzy for American business schools and the business models they're teaching. I love seeing that there are corporations out there who understand that businesses should cater to the needs of the specific countries they're entering, provide services that are wanted, offer variety, have differing brands that are marketed within the greater umbrella, etc.

Thanks for sharing this.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Your definition of "interesting" is interesting.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    And your comment is very "interesting"
  • nee90
    Options
    I think this is fantastic. This type of information makes me all warm and fuzzy for American business schools and the business models they're teaching. I love seeing that there are corporations out there who understand that businesses should cater to the needs of the specific countries they're entering, provide services that are wanted, offer variety, have differing brands that are marketed within the greater umbrella, etc.

Thanks for sharing this.

This is only the one side of the coin... Don't forget we are talking about multinational companies, not small family business...
    They don't do it because they respect our needs or our different cultures... the target is clearly our wallets!
    And for sure their foods are not exactly what you would call "healthy"...
    Read the article once again... or maybe just the titles...

"They Give you the Illusion of Choice"
    "They Convinced us Water is Bad"

Sorry but I wouldn't call this fantastic....
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Thanks for sharing this.

This is only the one side of the coin... Don't forget we are talking about multinational companies, not small family business...
    They don't do it because they respect our needs or our different cultures... the target is clearly our wallets!

So small family businesses automatically respect our needs and our different cultures? I'm pretty sure most small business are clearly targeting our wallets. If they weren't, they wouldn't be in business for very long.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting that OP expects me to click through and read that link.
  • brower47
    Options
    1. They break down language barriers.

Nefarious! How dare their product name be understood around the globe.

2. They are mulitplying rapidly.

Oh noes. They have an in demand prouct. How dare they provide multiple outlets for said product.

3. They have economies bigger than countries

What? They've been economically sucessful? You mean more successful that some small country with little in the way of industry and exports? This should be illegal!

4. They feed our armies.

They have locations on military instillations? That should be a national security risk with all those whoppers being so readily available to unsuspecting service men and women.

5. They have absurd amounts of products.

Wait... so diversity is bad now?

6. They are bigger than religion.

Aww crap. They can make their product readily recognizable. That's gotta be a sin, right?

7. They give you the illusion of choice.

You mean one company can make different products? That shouldn't happen. Each company should only be able to produce one thing because that makes WAY more sense.

8. They'll change their product.

How dare they cater to the market their in. How dare they not have beef in countries where eating cows is sacrilegious. Being flexile is a bad thing now, I guess.

9. They convince us water is bad.

This one is so ridiculously stupid, I don't have anything snarky to say to it. It didn't work as the article claims since I regularly see people at eating establishment, including Olive Garden, drinking ice water (myself included).

10. They want to hire everyone!

You mean they want to staff their locations and manufacturing plants? Absurd.

TL;DR This was the dumbed 'interesting' article I've come across in a long time.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Thanks for sharing this.

How dare businesses try to make money!!

Oh wait.........
  • nee90
    Options
    Of course busnisses try to make money...
    And I I didn't say that small busnisses don't...
    But there is huge difference on how they do it...
    At the grocery store in my neighborhood for example I'm sure they care more about my needs because they know me and I know them!
    It's not impersonal...
    + I give my money to a family that needs them to live.... not to some billionaires who already have much more than they need...

You may disagree... but not everyone live or think the same way...
  • BeTheFire
    BeTheFire Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    1. They break down language barriers.

Nefarious! How dare their product name be understood around the globe.

2. They are mulitplying rapidly.

Oh noes. They have an in demand prouct. How dare they provide multiple outlets for said product.

3. They have economies bigger than countries

What? They've been economically sucessful? You mean more successful that some small country with little in the way of industry and exports? This should be illegal!

4. They feed our armies.

They have locations on military instillations? That should be a national security risk with all those whoppers being so readily available to unsuspecting service men and women.

5. They have absurd amounts of products.

Wait... so diversity is bad now?

6. They are bigger than religion.

Aww crap. They can make their product readily recognizable. That's gotta be a sin, right?

7. They give you the illusion of choice.

You mean one company can make different products? That shouldn't happen. Each company should only be able to produce one thing because that makes WAY more sense.

8. They'll change their product.

How dare they cater to the market their in. How dare they not have beef in countries where eating cows is sacrilegious. Being flexile is a bad thing now, I guess.

9. They convince us water is bad.

This one is so ridiculously stupid, I don't have anything snarky to say to it. It didn't work as the article claims since I regularly see people at eating establishment, including Olive Garden, drinking ice water (myself included).

10. They want to hire everyone!

You mean they want to staff their locations and manufacturing plants? Absurd.

TL;DR This was the dumbed 'interesting' article I've come across in a long time.

Your reply is the best I've seen. I agree. Seems the capitalist ways of this nation are fluttering out the window, to be replaced with progressive propaganda. I do not see the same USA I knew as a child, and don't be surprised if I defect, given what our 2016 may hold in store.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    At the grocery store in my neighborhood for example I'm sure they care more about my needs because they know me and I know them!
    It's not impersonal...
    + I give my money to a family that needs them to live.... not to some billionaires who already have much more than they need...

In . . . for an explanation of the family supply chain for fuel, autos, housing, food, medicine, clothing, music, and my favorite, barbells. Damn those economies of scale.
  • brower47
    Options
    It's not impersonal...

You keep using "...".

I don't think "..." means what you think it means.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    These companies are in business because they're selling what people WANT. So, they're supposed to force people to buy what they NEED instead?

Big corporations can be scary, just like big government. However, big corporations depend on people voting with their wallets, just like a democratic government depends on people voting with the ballot.

If you want to be anti corporation, at the very least be intelligent about it instead of spewing nonsensical scare tactics.