new to my fitness pal. need advice.

Options
Hello. For a long time I was underweight but with additions of medication and lifestyle changes I have lost track of my weight and started eating unhealthy. I just need tips on how i can keep on track with a caloric intake plan. thanks

Replies

• janet67
    janet67 Posts: 38
    Options
    Hi Kara,
    Welcome to the site. I've been using MFP for about 2 1/2 months and have lost 12 pounds. The best way to use the site is logging in what you eat faithfully and honestly. (If you bite it, write it) Don't underestimate your serving portions. Use a measuring cup if necessary. A serving of meat (3-4 oz) is about the size of a deck of playing cards or a check book if thin( like fish.) There are many foods including restaurant food on the food look up.
    I frequently log in my food BEFORE I eat it so I know how to adjust my calorie intake. (Write it before you bite it.)
    You will find that the other members are super supportive of each other, and that helps too. Losing a pound or two a week is best . It seems slow, but if you lose too fast, you probably aren't getting enough calories, and before long, your body will go into "starvation mode," your metabolism will slow down, and your body will start storing what you do eat as fat.
    Good luck with your goals. Please feel free to add me to your "friend list."
  • monicafox
    Options
    You came to the right place! My Fitness Pal helps with that. I don't know how far along the process of setting up your account you are. You can put in your weight and height your weight goal. They will let you know how many calories to eat in order to get to your goal in a certain amount of weeks. It's very helpful because before you decide to eat something you can look it up on the food database and see how many calories it is. I have the app on my phone so I add food to it every time I eat, no matter where I am. Every morning I weigh myself and update my weight on my account, it's like something to look forward to. And if you exercise throughout the day you can look up the workout you did and it shows how many calories you burned, and it will add calories that you are allowed to eat for the day. Welcome to My Fitness Pal, I hope you find it as helpful & motivating as I have [: