Atkins?

Options
Hi! I just decided to try the 'Atkins' diet! I start tomorrow!

I'm wondering if anyone has any success stories/advice they can give me? Any tips? What do you think of 'Atkins'?

Also, any recipe/snack ideas too (I'm vegetarian)! Thank you! Wish me luck! <3

Replies

• QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I don't know if a vegetarian can successfully do Atkins. It's difficult for you to get in enough protein without taking in to many carbs. You do now the first 2 weeks is 20 net carbs per day with 12-15 of them coming from veggies.
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    May I ask why you've chosen Atkins? What about the diet appeals to you? I only ask because I've done Atkins many many times and the main reason I chose that diet was because I love meat, which is pretty much unlimited on that diet. I will say the diet always works for me. And note the word "works". As long as you are on the diet you lose weight, but because it's so difficult to make it a way of life, you eventually add in too many carbs, and as I'm a bit of a carb addict, I gain the weight back very quickly.

This time around I decided no diets. I simply healthier, I have the things I love but in moderation and I track my food everyday.

I would never suggest that someone not attempt a diet of their choice so I wish you great success. Just be careful as you work you're way through the stages of Atkins that you very carefully measure the amount of carbs you are adding.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    It is not possible to do Atkins or any low carb high fat food plan and be vegetarian.
    Why? Because nearly all vegetable protein sources are high carb too.
    Unless you allow yourself whey protein and fish, you are extremely limited.
    But if you do whey protein, then doing a whey protein shake with unsweetened almond milk and a tbs of coconut oil is a very good low carb breakfast or snack with a very good healthy fat.
    Hemp oil is another good source of fat.
    Lard is great for lowering triglycerides and LDL while raising the good HDL.
  • Lollops
    Lollops Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies! I chose to do Atkins because 'low carbs' trigger Ketosis. I have achieved ketosis before but it was through water fasting. This seems easier!

Could I not do Atkins without much protein? Do I need it? Also, in the UK we have a 'meat substitue' called 'Quorn'. I think Quorn has high protein, low carb:

\/ ~ Quorn per 100g ~ \/
    Protein: 14g
    Fibre: 8.3g
    Carbs: 1g

/\ Is this good or? /\ <3
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Why would you need to trigger ketosis to lose weight?
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I...don't think a vegetarian can do Atkins.

You might end up doing a lot of fasting.
  • Lollops
    Options

Ketotis is a state in which your body uses fat as fuel. I don't 'need' to trigger it to lose weight, but if I can trigger it without water fasting then I want to! Haha <3
  • Paco4gsc
    Paco4gsc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Could I not do Atkins without much protein? Do I need it?

So...your plan is low carb...low protein...? Meaning you'd be getting most of your calories from pure fat...?

Also, protein is not just a source of calories. you need them for many bodily processes.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you'll be eating a lot of tofu, Quorn, and dairy then.
  • Lollops
    Options
    So it's impossible for me to be low carb as a vegetarian? :cry: noooooo:sad:

Argh, I was so excited to start Atkins tomorrow! <3
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Ketotis is a state in which your body uses fat as fuel. I don't 'need' to trigger it to lose weight, but if I can trigger it without water fasting then I want to! Haha <3

But holding protein and cals constant, fat loss isn't significantly greater than higher carb diets. Ergo increased fat oxidation is due to increased fat intake, not body fat being burned
  • Lollops
    Options
    I really can't understand what you're saying. :ohwell: <3
  • MrsSenecal
    MrsSenecal Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    So it's impossible for me to be low carb as a vegetarian? :cry: noooooo:sad:

Argh, I was so excited to start Atkins tomorrow! <3

You might want to do some more RESEARCH into what type of weight loss plan you want to do.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I did vegetarian Atkins a LOONG time ago. Boy I did lose weight...but as soon as you start adding in carbs again you gain it all back and then some. I think this diet is only good if you are maybe going on a trip or getting married and need a quick way to drop some lbs, which I still do not think is really ideal...I don't see it being a sustainable lifestyle. After a while all you want is a piece of bread, it consumes you, you MUST have it! I think you could definately limit carbs longterm but to give them up completely?...well, it didn't work for me anyway...
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options

I'm wondering if anyone has any success stories/advice they can give me? Any tips? What do you think of 'Atkins'?

Read my blog. I just did five days of low carb.
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options

Read my blog. I just did five days of low carb.

Do you have a link for it?
  • bradtheman86
    Options
    You don't wanna do atkins as a vegetarian you wanna do eco-atkins.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    A vegeterian on Atkins? I don't want to be a discourager, but I don't see this one panning out. It's a high protein diet, which as a former vegeterian myself I can tell you getting adequate protein is hard enough, but when you start watching/eliminating carbs too, you're going to be on a starvation diet for lack of food options. IMHO
  • MrsSenecal
    MrsSenecal Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    You would think that if you were going to do something to your body that you would learn about it and plan out what you are going to eat and what to do. If I was going to do something drastic I would make sure im informed. MAYBE its just me...
  • Lollops
    Options
    You would think that if you were going to do something to your body that you would learn about it and plan out what you are going to eat and what to do. If I was going to do something drastic I would make sure im informed. MAYBE its just me...

I only learned about it today. I researched it/am researching it. I printed a list of Atkin-friendly foods. I was just planning on going for it and didn't realise I would be so low on protein.

When someone posts on a forum asking for tips and advice, maybe you should treat them with common courtesy....... I wouldn't snap at them for wanting help........ MAYBE it's just me....