I need exercise tips please!

Options
I began my new weight loss program 2 1/2 weeks ago but have yet to establish an exercise routine. My problem is painful arthritis in both knees which prevents me from walking much. I tried using neighbors Bow Flex (to see if I could use it before purchasing one) and all upper body exercises went well but I can do none of the leg reps due to the arthritis pain. Any suggestions for exercises which will not prove too taxing on my knee joints? Lunges are out, squats are out...anything else?

Replies

• dogdaze
    dogdaze Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Swimming, water exercises and water walking would be ideal if you have access to a pool. The elliptical machine tends to be well tolerated and cycling on a machine or on a bike may work for you too. Remember to start slow and increase gradually whatever type of exercise you are doing.

As your weight loss progresses, you may be able to tolerate more walking and other exercises so keep trying from time to time. Remember that the strain on your knees is significantly more than your body weight so losing even a small amount of weight will help (1 lb lost is at least 4lbs strain off your knees!). Good Luck and keep us posted!
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I also have knee problems, as well as lower back problems. I have been walking, but if this is proving too taxing for you, I would start out with water aerobics and swimming. You get a good cardio workout but with less stress on your joints. Maybe once the weight starts to come off, the arthritis won't hurt as much.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    How about yoga?
  • aronwistner
    Options
    I highly recommend the pool... works wonders for your joints and you get a great workout with very low impact. I started out swimming several weeks ago and it has done wonders for my bad knees and core. In the pool you work muscle groups you never would with weights or other nautical machines.

I would recommend starting out swimming 200 meters free, 100 meter kick, 200 meter free, 100 meter kick. Work your way up to it and then you can enhance from there. Make sure you relax and do not rush yourself, it is better to do it correctly than to do it quickly. Make sure you extend your arms out forward as possible on the kick board to put more emphasis on your core and legs. You also may want to try an elliptical machine with ultra low impacts.... this may help your leg work as well. With arthritis you would probably want to stay away from weights because they have a negative impact on joints... my .02
  • rebel14
    rebel14 Posts: 33
    Options
    Id go with water resistance training , and recumbent stationary cycling. Both with take the load off your knees but will allow you range of motion and cardio benefits. Get started !!!! Keep me posted on how it works for you.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    My Mum had a 'gravity walker'. Its a zero impact machine made for people with arthritis/joint probs. Don't know how much they cost, but perhaps you can google it.

Good luck
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I have advanced osteoarthritis in my knees but actually the BEST thing for them is weight bearing exercise . . . so walking. This has been the advice I have received from 2 doctors and my physiotherapist.
    Yes, it does hurt sometimes but start out by doing 5 minutes per day and increase by a minute each week.

I keep a bottle of advil handy for the days that it is a bit more painful. If you work through it you will actually get improvment.
  • splooshcar
    Options
    Bicycling and elliptical

Try your Rec deptartment:
    - I don't know your community. I live in a bigger city and I found water aerobics classes through the local recreation department. It's a lot cheaper than a gym membership and by registering for a class I'm committed and I'm more likely to find time to go to that class just to get my $$ worth. :wink:

Good luck!
  • JKH001
    JKH001 Posts: 3
    Options
    Wow! I didn't expect so many responses and so soon! Thank you all very much! I currently do not have access to a pool but do love to swim (I taught swimming eons ago). I will look into the elliptical machine.

Kminor67-I, too have lower back problems from an injury at home 2 years ago. I begin spinal injections next week. This is also an issue with the weight training. Looks like I am going to have to try to look into some water aerobic classes!

Chenoachem-I have never tried yoga, but am definitely not opposed to it. I will research on the web.

And to those of you who suggested the arthritis pain may lessen once I lose weight-I truly hope so!

Thanks again everyone!
  • JKH001
    JKH001 Posts: 3
    Options
    lutzsher-My ortho doctor told me walking would only make it worse! After what you've told me I will have to research that now because I love to walk! I do have pain from walking long distances and Aleve keeps me relatively pain free-unless, I walk too much.

I will also research the gravity walker and recumbent stationary cycling. Lots of research to do! Thank you!
  • animatedbecca
    Options
    I also have osteo in my knees. I saw my mom and her mom before her have both knees replaced. One more good reason for my new lifestyle, I dont want to be third generation knee replacements :)
    I also have had lumbar surgery. And even after the surgery, my back lets me know when I do too much!
    I dream of being a runner (or even a jogger) but I walk., the more I do it, the easier it gets. Getting some weight off will absolutely help. And as others have said the pool and yoga are both great as well as the stationary bike. The stronger your legs get, the less the knees will hurt :)
  • AdrianaChristine
    Options
    I don't have osteo problems...but I have a rare disease of the feet which causes a blister with any little friction, So I can't walk//run as much as I should..
    I need a good exercise plan that doesn't involve being on my feet as much.
    If you find one that helps could you please let me know?
  • ohGo
    ohGo Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi, All. A dear friend told me about this site this afternoon and I have taken the leap!! I just had major spinal cord surgery and can not lift, bend, twist/turn, push/pull. The maximum I can lift is 4 pounds. The only exercise allowed is walking. Challenge there is that I have frayed or torn tendons in both feet and I have zero energy. I'm hoping this community helps to motivate me. I have a wonderful dog who loves to go out and be told how beautiful she is. I just joined minutes ago and I'm already impressed with all of you! Once my incision heals, I'll be looking into pool exercise.

Best wishes to each of you! We can do this!!
  • animatedbecca
    Options
    Welcome to our little corner of the world ohGo. When I had my back surgery the Dr told me "dont lift anything heavier than a dinner plate" Come to think of it...this is all his fault! LOL!
  • Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    http://www.peggycappy.com/

Check out her Yoga for arthritis video. I don't think you can purchase that one yet, because it was a PBS special, but her others are just as good. I have really bad joints, that ache and stiffen up, but these help a lot.