When is your "Free Day"?

Options
I have my "free day" in the middle of the week vs weekend so if I go too overboard I still have time to catchup. When is your "free day"?

Replies

• WrenLynn
    WrenLynn Posts: 213
    Options
    I don't have a free day. I try to fit occasional splurges into my everyday calories. Usually I can do that just fine when I exercise.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    i dont have a free day in regards to calories but i dont use my treadmill on sundays
  • zenzoes
    zenzoes Posts: 187
    Options
    I do not have a free day for food intake. I fit any "splurge" into my daily caloric goals. We have pizza once every few weeks on Friday. I have been very successful allowing myself a little of this or that as long as I am keeping track. Exercise, I allow myself a day off if I feel like I have pushed too hard or my health/body(I have MS) is needing a day of rest. Really though I am feeling great and I love how my new lifestyle makes me feel. I don't feel like I am missing out on anything anymore.
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I don't have a free day. I try to fit occasional splurges into my everyday calories.

Same here! To me, it's the easiest way to transition into the new habit of eating mindfully.
  • mocosa74
    mocosa74 Posts: 42
    Options
    When and if I do have a free day, it is usually Saturdays, after weigh in. But I too try and work in a little splurge when needed, everday...and I usually do it, too! :happy:
  • Allieballie
    Options
    I usually save Friday for a splurge. This usually means a glass of wine or two and dinner out with friends.
  • Buppie
    Buppie Posts: 43
    Options
    I use the weekend to stop "counting" calories (i.e., logging it all into MFP) - now that i have been doing this for a few months, I know what I should/shouldn't eat, but i do allow for some frozen yogurt with toppings, or a cookie that I made with my daughter on the weekends... without counting it.. Been working for me so far...
  • iambrandice
    iambrandice Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I don't do a free day, because I think of it as one day that was somewhat wasted. Because that's 4 days a month and then 48 days a year. Think of how much weight you could have lost in 48 days? If 1.5 pounds a week, that's more than 10 pounds!! If I want to eat a bad food, I'll just make sure it's an okay quantity, do well the rest of the day, and be sure to workout, so I have enough calories to eat for the day.
  • iambrandice
    iambrandice Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I do not have a free day for food intake. I fit any "splurge" into my daily caloric goals. We have pizza once every few weeks on Friday. I have been very successful allowing myself a little of this or that as long as I am keeping track. Exercise, I allow myself a day off if I feel like I have pushed too hard or my health/body(I have MS) is needing a day of rest. Really though I am feeling great and I love how my new lifestyle makes me feel. I don't feel like I am missing out on anything anymore.

I agree! And I don't feel like I'm missing anything either! It's becoming easier to be full on the amount of food that I'm eating and I don't feel like I'm depriving myself of good foods!
  • reinventingandrea
    Options
    I don't have a free day. I try to fit occasional splurges into my everyday calories. Usually I can do that just fine when I exercise.

Same here. I usually have my splurge day on Saturday but I still exercise. And so far I haven't went over on my calories with my little splurges.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    No Free Day here, on occasion I will have a treat for a meal, but a whole day free could trash the whole week
  • ruralhipster
    ruralhipster Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I used to give myself a Friday treat day before I started logging calories and increasing my exercise. Even eating well the other 6 days a week I still was hovering at the same weight after 3 months. I'm amazed at the all the crap I will eat because I have given myself a free day. I find it easier to give myself many small treats during the week, than one day of food hedonism.
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I don't have a full free day, but I do let myself have a free meal on Monday nights after I weigh in. It helps to keep me on track. Ironically, I tend to stay within my calorie range that day w/o even thinking about it.
  • shonda1979
    Options
    I like to have mine on the weekends when everybody home so if we go out to eat I can get crazy-lol
  • jayz_gal2004
    jayz_gal2004 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My Freeday is on Friday......my boyfriend and I go to a restaurant called CookOut (our fave) every friday night. The food is delicious but my food alone is 1037 calories. It is soooooo worth it :0)
  • jmathews
    jmathews Posts: 196
    Options
    I don't have a free day. I try to fit occasional splurges into my everyday calories.

Same here! To me, it's the easiest way to transition into the new habit of eating mindfully.

Ditto!!!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    No such thing as a "free" day. This way of eating is a lifestyle. I eat healthy and once in a great while, I'll go out and eat a nice dinner in a restaurant. I may go over my deficit calories, but I try to never go over my maintenance calories (everyone should know what those are). If I do go over maintenance, I am basically negating some of the hard earned deficit days and why the heck would I do that?? I limit meals out to 2-3 times a month and even then, it isn't spur of the moment. I plan what I'll eat based on the nutritional value of the food at that particular establishment. Otherwise, I pretty much eat what I want...and what I want is nutritionally rich foods.
  • Joyjmb
    Joyjmb Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Clarissa, I'm with you! I weigh in on Tuesday and have ONE free meal that day, rather than whole free day. Even then I'm only AT or over calories by 100-200 or so. Nothing major.
  • TammyK777
    TammyK777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Depends, sometimes Thursday, sometimes Friday. Occasionally Saturday. Varies depending on plans/events at work and with family and friends. I try to not go over too much, but if I don't allow myself a 'free' day, I'll crave stuff and/or stress myself out and splurge for days on end.