Fitbit Flex or Jawbone UP?!?!?

Options
Hello all!

I have been contemplating getting one of these devices for a few months and I feel like both of them would be a right fit for what I need.
Which does everyone prefer?!?!

I read they are pretty much the same, except for the synching process.

Any feedback from owners would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you:flowerforyou:

Frankie

Replies

• MrsSenecal
    MrsSenecal Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I just got my Jawbone up and I LOVE IT! The App is beautiful and it seems to be pretty accurate. I had a Fitbit Flex, but im liking this a whole lot more. Its comfortable, looks good and it water resistant so you can shower with it.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One, because I couldn't sync with my cell phone (must have Bluetooth 4.0 for both the Flex and the Up, si check that you have a pretty brand new phone, as mine is only a year old and not compatible).

Mine isn't waterproof though, but I definitely recommend the Fitbit. I've heard their customer service is supreme and I'm noticing the battery life is longer than it says :)
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    We are a Fitbit family ... but when my 17 year old decided he wanted to track his activity, the Flex was still so new it was out of stock everywhere. So he got a JawboneUp. He liked it fine and didn't really have any problems (not having anything to compare it with) but I always wished he had the Flex. I'd ask him what his steps were and he would have to take it off and sync it (which Fitbit does wirelessly).

Alas ... he wore it while waverunning (as it was labeled as water resistant) and a wipeout ripped it from his arm and it sunk to the bottom of the lake.

As I really DO want to track the activity of my boys (more just a curiosity than needing the info or for motivation) I have ordered him a Flex. It is less expensive, and as the rest of the family has a Fitbit, it is much easier to compare stats and such.

This shouldn't be a huge factor, but there are a number of "reward" sites out there (Everymove, Earndit, Achievemint, Walking with Walgreens) which connect to the Fitbit. Just connect and forget about it, until you earn a reward (I've earned a $5 Amazon Gift Certificate, and donated my other rewards to charity as the rewards are often just discounts in disguise). Does Jawbone Up connect to MFP? That was HUGE for me, my activity coming in here, my food transferring to Fitbit ...

I personally didn't use JawboneUps site, but I quite like the graphs and visual aspect on the Fitbit site. I personally have the One, and have heard some mixed reviews on the Flex. It is still very new.
  • CADreaming09
    CADreaming09 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I didn't know about the Fitbit One, I think that one doesn't track sleep, right? Or does it?
  • gfroniewski
    gfroniewski Posts: 168
    Options
    My roommate has an UP, and I have a Flex. It really comes down to what you plan to use it for since they are pretty much the same functionality just slightly different focus and features. If you are planning on using it for intense activity go with the Flex. It stays on a lot better in general. That wave running story is an extreme example, but it can fall off doing a lot less!

If you want something stylish, don't care about it falling off, and want a beautiful app then the UP is great. However, the Fitbit app is functional and not bad at all. It DOESN'T fall off, doesn't break like the UP is known to do, and it syncs wirelessly and works with tons of popular fitness apps. Jawbone has no web app, no wireless syncing etc.

I love my Flex. I would get an UP; I almost did, but it is more expensive and just not worth it for me. I like the app, but the Flex is wayyyy better for serious physical activity (no way around that) and the bluetooth is really really hard to beat. Every time my roomie takes off his band to sync it I cringe lol.
  • donnaleighh
    donnaleighh Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    This is a good comparative review between a few different types of devices - including the the Fitbit 1 and the Up

http://www.getgrok.com/2013/01/a-comparative-review-28-days-with-the-fitbit-one-jawbone-up-nike-fuelband-and-bodymedia-link/

and this is interesting if you want to compare the FB 1 with FB Flex - a comparative review of FB's own products..

http://gizmodo.com/fitbit-flex-review-peer-pressure-sucks-493248555

I have the one based on the two reviews and mighty happy with it... Cheers, :Donna
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One & love it! It works great. It can monitor steps, distance, stairs climbed, calories burned & exertion level. It also monitors sleep. The Fitbit One is one of the few which has an altimeter to monitor steps climbed. I also like that I have instantaneously feedback without having to synch the device, as there is a display right on the unit. It has a stopwatch mode as well, which allows me to track exercise & meet my goals "real time" while at the gym.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One, because I couldn't sync with my cell phone (must have Bluetooth 4.0 for both the Flex and the Up, si check that you have a pretty brand new phone.
    UP by Jawbone does not have Bluetooth. You sync by plugging the band into the headphone jack of your phone or tablet. (No Bluetooth means you only have to charge every 10 days.) The list of compatible devices is at http://jawbone.com/up/devices

Unlike MFP, there is no web portal. Everything is done via the app (iOS or Android). You can link your MFP and UP accounts at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/apps/show/97