Hi all

Options
Greetings everyone, my name is Vicki. I just joined and wanted to say hello :) I'm new to keeping track of my weight/exercise and diet, if anyone has any tips for me? I won't lie, I'm pretty ignorant to all of this and I guess my biggest issue is food and what to eat.. anyways hope to make a weight loss buddy or two :)

Replies

• kariweighsin
    kariweighsin Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    HI Vicki,

Have no fear, this is a great place to start! MFP makes keeping track of your foods, weight and exercise easy once you get the hang of it, and trust me, it won't take long. This is also a great place for support and motivation. Feel free to add me! Good luck!
  • RCadence
    RCadence Posts: 79
    Options
    Hey Vicki!

MFP is the place to be! There's always folk to give you support and harass you down if you stop logging in :-)

Feel free to add me if you want :-)
  • purpleangelbee
    Options
    Hi Vicki
    I just joined today too will add you as a friend :happy:
    Jenny
  • ydeleon
    ydeleon Posts: 81
    Options
    MFP is great! I've added you.
  • HokieMama4
    HokieMama4 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Today I celebrate 175 days on MFP! I grew up with no nutritional education and was very ignorant about health. I have asked a lot of questions, read as much as I can, and tried my best to educate myself. When I started MFP, I was pretty sure I wouldn't be able to consistently log everything for more than a few days - it just seemed like so much work!!! After a few weeks, it became second nature. I have a day here and there where I cut myself some slack and don't log, but for the most part, every calorie in and every calorie out goes into my diary. I like having that information - it makes me feel good about my choices. In January I was obese, SO uncomfortable with my body, and a size 18. Now at the end of June, my 10s are lose and I won't lie, I kinda love my collar bones and biceps (okay, maybe that's a little vain!) MFP is a really useful tool, but when it comes right down to it, YOU make the choices, YOU make the difference. Stick to it! It's worth it and you CAN do it!!!
  • Petegriff67
    Options
    Hi Vicki and everyone else,

I've been using My Fitness Pal for about 8 weeks now although this is my first ever venture into the community.

I have to say that MFP is fantastic and helping you keep a check of what you have eaten and your exercise patterns etc. although some foods do appear to be slightly off in their numbers, the majority seem to be very accurate.

Anyway, in the last 8 weeks I have gone from 104kgs (16.3 stone or 229 pounds) to this morning weighing in at 93.3kgs (14.7 stone or 205 pounds).

I am of course really pleased with this however, the one thing I have learned more than anything with regards to losing weight is without doubt PORTION CONTROL, eat small and often. I eat every couple of hours and I still eat a chocolate bar every other day, maybe a bag of crisps, some sweets or mixed fruit but by eating small and often my body does not struggle with processing the food I eat, it breaks most of it down just in time for the next meal and what does this do? It turns off the body's fat storing chemicals, no fat storage, your weight will drop off.

Off course healthy food is the better option and I tend to eat quite healthy, mainly by reducing the amount of carbs I eat but the odd treat keeps me sane. Exercise is also great, it will help in burning some pounds, it will also help to tone your body but, most importantly, it keeps your metabolism processing and breaking down the food you eat.

Good luck all
  • aliciamhosein
    Options
    this website has been amazing so far. makes it very easy to keep track of calorie/exercise, amazing with my busy schedule!
  • HealthyGinny
    HealthyGinny Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome! :)

Feel free to add me if you want, I try to be as supportive as I can!

xx
    Ginny, 25
  • seishin_murai
    seishin_murai Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey there everyone!

I'm new too! I've just logged 30 days on my android.

Before that, I was using my trusty notebook as a way to log my daily food consumption, but it was a pain in the behind! I would skip every time I felt lazy, which by the way was very often indeed!

Good thing I found MFP! And it´s free! YAY \o/ !!

I recommended it to everyone I know, but no one took the advice seriously T_T

I haven't read many topics yet, but from what I was able to see, there is indeed good advice here.

Ok, enough. Thank you!

P.S.: Sorry for hijacking your post, OP!
  • callofmeow
    Options
    Wow thanks everyone for replying! such a friendly community :) I've decided to research as much as I can and see a dietitian to help with the food part, I'll be doing yoga with a friend at a nearby gym soon and continue it at home along with walking. Thanks for the tips and kind words everyone, I'm glad I joined. Feel free to add me if you like ^_^
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    hi, welcome! this place is great, but does require a thick skin and a grasp of sarcasm. also, if you don't already know, i suggest learning how to post gifs - they're fun

aIAZwNo.jpg
  • nammer79
    nammer79 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    howdy ... and welcome this is a great site to track your calories and see what others "think" and then form your own thoughts lol