ounces???

Options
Hi, so I eat meat and veggies and what not but have noticed almost everything is measured in ounces and I looked it up online and its tiny like 3tbls??? My question is roughly using cups as examples, how much is an oz? Cause I dont see how two oz of ground pork is that bad for you.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    an ounce is a unit of weight, there are 16 of them in a pound. A quarter pounder is a 4 oz burger.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    like previously stated, ounce is a weight measurement in this case, and you can't compare it to volume, different foods have different densities
  • hannah1011z
    hannah1011z Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    bult like cooked...in cups. so if i had a cup of ground beef, how much ounces roughly would that be
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Time to buy a food scale! They're pretty cheap - like $20 or so and the only real way to know just how many ounces you're having.
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    You can't do that because some food weigh more per volume than others. So a pound of psyllium husks versus a pound of sugar would have drastically different volumes. Think of a pound of feathers vs a pound of lead. You would end up with quite a bit more feathers than you would of lead. I hope this helps.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    bult like cooked...in cups. so if i had a cup of ground beef, how much ounces roughly would that be

I think what previous posters are trying to tell you is that you would have to weigh it. Every solid food would be different. Go online and search for images of what different portions look like, if you don't have a scale.
  • keenesmom
    keenesmom Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Time to buy a food scale! They're pretty cheap - like $20 or so and the only real way to know just how many ounces you're having.

This. I love my food scale. Mine cost about $30 (digital). Measures in ounces and kilograms and allows you to zero out so you can just add something else to weigh without removing any other food...will weigh something up to 5 lbs. Confession time...I've even carried it with me on vacation.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    An ounce is weight, not volume. Get a food scale - I got a really cheap one on Amazon and it works just great - it will weight ounces, grams or lbs. a few ounces if meat is definitely more than 3 Tbsp.

Two ounces of meat is going to be smaller than most of us wish it would be. I weigh mine, and two ounces of meat is probably around 3 or 4 tablespoons.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    There are two kinds of ounces (well, three really). The avoirdupois ounce is used for measuring weight, and is 1/16th of a pound. The fluid ounce is used for measuring volume, and is 1/16th of a pint, or 1/8th of a cup. (The troy ounce is another unit of weight, usually used for precious metals these days.)

Because of water's density, one fluid ounce of water weighs just over one avoirdupois ounce. But as has already been explained, that's not necessarily true of other things. A food scale is the way to go.

As a rough guide, a 4-oz. piece of beef is about the size of a deck of cards.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    (very) roughly 5 to 8 ozs. http://onceamonthmom.com/sliced-diced-ground-beef/