Healthy Comfort food?

Options
Having a really bad day, normally I would "eat" my way out of it with a bunch of stuff I am trying to no longer eat...any suggestions on healthy comfort food?

Replies

• ClumsyArtist
    ClumsyArtist Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    These are the most important moments where the whole lifestyle change comes in. Instead of "eating your way out of it" try another activity. Exercise will always make you feel better! But if you MUST have something, I'd suggest picking up a lean cuisine version of your favorite comfort food. That way the calories are easily trackable and you won't feel too guilty :)
  • Michellekutz1
    Options
    Thanks your right, and thanks for the suggestion!
  • xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    If you're really going to eat something, nonfat greek yogurt with peanut butter and dark chocolate chips is 'healthier.'
  • BrookeBQ
    BrookeBQ Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Boiled cauliflower with some white sauce and maybe a bit of cheese on top. Anything creamy and warm definitely comforts me :)
  • bmansur1
    bmansur1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been craving pizza and avoiding it since January. Just made a cauliflower pizza crust pizza. Googled the recipe and then added my own veggi toppings. So perfect, and so low carb. Anything that cheesy should be off limits, but it was perfect.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    If the problem isn't hunger, then food is not the solution.

It's really hard to change the way we cope with discomfort, stress and negative emotions when we have used food to distract ourselves and numb our feelings for most of our lives.

Try to do something that actually addresses your real problem. Talk to the person who's stressing you out, or research solutions to your problem online. If it's not that kind of problem, do something pleasant and kind for yourself like taking a nap, reading a book or taking a hot bath. If I'm feeling anxious or angry, working out really helps a lot.

Sometimes it's best to just sit with our feelings and actually feel them. Know that negative emotions won't cause you to crumble.

If all else fails, find something healthy that you love that replicates your old comfort food. Think about what would satisfy you -- cold, creamy, crunchy, salty, warm, savory, cheesy, etc. and find something that is similar.

I know that one of my biggest eating triggers is when I'm really tired, and when I know I'm tired and I won't be able to sleep, I tend to plan a few hundred extra calories into my day for some healthy treats (fruit, a skinny caramel latte) because it's better for me to acknowledge that I am going to comfort eat and plan for it than it is for me to deny it and then end up binging on something ridiculous that blows my calories for the week.
  • melaniehubbard
    melaniehubbard Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    A baked fugi apple and with a little brown sugar or honey and a handful of nuts and raisins is comfort food to me
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Try this...

http://www.lunchboxdoctor.com/date-and-banana-flapjack-no-nuts-no-refined-sugar-and-no-butter/

I tend to replace the water with apple juice, and I use a bit more than a splash because I find their recipe is too dry - I make sure all he oats are coated to retain moisture. It is easy to get right, and I find it delicious!
  • KaltieEm
    KaltieEm Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    For me banana pancakes work best. I make them as breakfast or dinner, and since they're sweet they stop my cravings. There's many versions of banana pancakes, mine is:

1 egg white (3 TBS)
    1/2 single serve container of apple sauce
    1 small banana
    1 scoop of vanilla whey protein
    1/8 cup oats

Mix everything in a blender (I use immersion blender), fry on a non-stick pan sprayed with a little bit of oil, med-low heat. Makes 6 pancakes, 250 calories, 39 g of carbs, 2 g fat, 20 g protein. Top with berries or syrup.

Another nice one is frozen yogurt.
  • Equina
    Equina Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    bump
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for some great ideas, look up Bobby Dean (Paula Dean's son). He's taking Paula Deans dishes (I know she's not exactly popular for the right reasons now, but she does make yummy food) and making them lighter and healthier. I've learned a lot of tricks from him. Great ideas and recipes for re-creating comfort food with more nutrients, less fat and calories and just as delicious.
  • NarneyK
    NarneyK Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Is Mac & Cheese considered comfort food? If so give this a shot. It was pretty good :)
    http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/quick-recipes/dinner/healthy-mac-n-cheese/

Mac and Cheese Lite

Makes: 4 servings

Ingredients
    Nonstick cooking spray
    Salt
    4 ounces whole wheat macaroni
    1/2 cup onion-garlic puree (see "Rocco's Secret Weapon," below)
    1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
    Pinch cayenne pepper
    1 cup shredded 50 percent reduced-fat cheddar
    1/3 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
    1/4 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan

Directions

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Mist an 8-by-8-inch baking dish with cooking spray; set it aside.
    Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add macaroni and cook according to package directions, drain.
    Meanwhile, bring onion-garlic puree, mustard, and cayenne to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring often. Whisk in cheddar until melted. Remove from heat and whisk in yogurt.
    In a medium bowl, toss the macaroni with the cheese sauce. Season with salt to taste. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle panko over the top. Top with Parmesan.
    Bake until Parmesan is melted and macaroni is hot throughout, about 10 minutes.

Nutrition facts per serving (about 2/3 cup): 237 calories, 17g protein, 31g carbohydrate, 7g fat (4g saturated), 3g fiber
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    A nice cuppa tea.