How many calories should I eat to lose weight

Options
MFP put me at 1200 calories but I couldn't stick to that so I upped it to 1500. I've been losing at this number but I'm wondering if I could be eating more. Whenever I go over 1800 calories, I tend to gain weight.

My current weight is 190
Height 5' 6"

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    MFP put me at 1200 calories but I couldn't stick to that so I upped it to 1500. I've been losing at this number but I'm wondering if I could be eating more. Whenever I go over 1800 calories, I tend to gain weight.

My current weight is 190
    Height 5' 6"

Do you have an estimate of your body fat percentage?
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I think it's great you upped your calories to 1500 as your calculated BMR (what you'd burn if you were in a coma) is 1564 calories/day

I calculated your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) on sedentary at 1934 calories/day, if you were to eat this you would maintain your current weight.

As long as you eat between your BMR and your TDEE, you will lose weight.

Please remember that if you exercise you will need to eat more calories.
    So if you burn 300 calories at the gym, you would need to eat 1500+300 = 1800, this would allow you to maintain the same safe deficit to lose weight.

If you're finding yourself gaining when you occasionally eat 1800 calories, it's probably nothing more than extra waste in your bowels and extra sodium storing water.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If you lose at 1500 and gain at 1800 it shouldn't be hard to figure out where you need to be. It will depend on how fast and how much you want to lose. One way to eat more and lose is the gain some exercise calories.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I think it's great you upped your calories to 1500 as your calculated BMR (what you'd burn if you were in a coma) is 1564 calories/day

I calculated your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) on sedentary at 1934 calories/day, if you were to eat this you would maintain your current weight.

So if you burn 300 calories at the gym, you would need to eat 1500+300 = 1800, this would allow you to maintain the same safe deficit to lose weight.

If you're finding yourself gaining when you occasionally eat 1800 calories, it's probably nothing more than extra waste in your bowels and extra sodium storing water.

TDEE calculators factor in exercise, so you don't need to eat back calories if you use that exercise in the calculations
  • tawanda6329
    tawanda6329 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what my body fat % is.

Thanks for the replies:)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    MFP puts a ton of people at 1200 because that number is based upon the weight loss GOAL you put in. The more you have to lose ..... the fast weight will come off. The reverse is true also ..... the less you have to lose ..... the slower weight comes off.

Plug in the number of pounds you can expect to lose each week ..... I bet you're more than 1200

75+ lbs to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs range

Or you can calculate your BMR (basal metabolic rate) and eat those calories + exercise calories

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/bmr-calculator.html

(BMR are the calories your body uses even if you stayed in bed all day)
  • tawanda6329
    Options
    I haven't been working out much lately, so most of my weight loss has come from dieting only.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

My current weight is 190
    Height 5' 6"

If you gain over 1800, then you know you need to keep it under that. If you are happy (not hungry except right before a meal, plenty of energy, etc.) at 1500 then I'd stick with that. That should give you a little over .5 lbs per week loss.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

If she gains weight when she eats more than 1800 then her TDEE is likely less than 1934.

Calculators only give avereages. Knowing your own limits is key.
  • ladynocturne
    Options

If she gains weight when she eats more than 1800 then her TDEE is likely less than 1934.

Calculators only give avereages. Knowing your own limits is key.

Maybe so, but it's more likely she weighed herself the day after eating 1800 and not actually giving it a month to see if it's a true gain.
  • tawanda6329
    Options
    Yes. I was weighing myself daily. I only stopped the daily weigh-ins this week. I'm going to do once a week weigh-in.
  • ladynocturne
    Options
    Yes. I was weighing myself daily. I only stopped the daily weigh-ins this week. I'm going to do once a week weigh-ins.

I think that's a good idea. =)

You're doing awesome, keep it up!
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options

TDEE calculators factor in exercise, so you don't need to eat back calories if you use that exercise in the calculations

It says they used sedentary settings to get the figures so in that instance you would eat back exercise calories :flowerforyou:
  • saminmio
    saminmio Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    That's your problem. I am also on a 1200 cal a day plan. I find that the exercising allows me more calories and also has the added benefit of firming the body while you're losing the fat. I'm 5'7" and now weigh 167 and want to get down to 150. I'm also 66 years old so I'm sure your metabolism will allow you more calories than mine. Still at the least try walking for 30 minutes a day, will give you more calories to eat and is the best exercise to safeguard your heart - women's #1 cause of death is heart attacks. Good luck in whatever you choose to do and it looks like you are doing well.