Nuts.

Options
I know they are considered healthy and what not..but has anyone eaten them as a daily snack and had their diet suffer because of it? I am addicted to them and I want to start buying a can, but they are soooo addicted and the amount of fat scares me.

Thanks!

Replies

• food_junkie
    food_junkie Posts: 434
    Options
    I know they are considered healthy and what not..but has anyone eaten them as a daily snack and had their diet suffer because of it? I am addicted to them and I want to start buying a can, but they are soooo addicted and the amount of fat scares me.

Thanks!
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Just keep telling yourself that it is good fat and then eat everything in moderation. Like the sugar in fruit - it's high but is is 'good, natural', sugar!

Nuts are better than the alternative, right. What was your guilty pleasure before nuts? Mine was Dark Chocolate M&M's. Now I snack on my almonds and I know I am doing something good for my body!!
  • natalie1
    natalie1 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Try to bag them separately (to 200 cal per bag) as soon as you 'll bring can home?
  • dmflynt
    dmflynt Posts: 196
    Options
    Definitely MEASURE your serving and put it in a bowl......then put the can or jar away! Nuts are high in calories, but the fats in them are very healthy. It is waaaaaay too easy to eat several hundred (or a thousand if you're my husband!) calories without blinking an eye!:noway:
  • insearchofskinny
    Options
    I sooo relate! Nuts are so healthy... and I can't seem to control over-eating them... so I just don't buy them.

If you're counting carbs... the smoked almonds that have become so popular lately have only 3 net carbs per ounce... that's 28 almonds.

You can stop at a convenience store and pick up a one ounce bag each day... that's a bit more costly.. but it works for me and my lack of self control.... and in the long run, I spend less. Even if a can is less costly... if I'm eating two or three ounces per day rather then one... it's costing me more.

Good Luck!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Yeh. you gotta measure. My first week on mfp I made no changes, just loged every morsal that went into my mouth. I love almonds, and well there good for you right? Well I dont think 2 cups in a day was a good idea.

My point: you have to measure the amount, read the label as to what a serving is.

And insearchofskinny, you can buy a box of 1 oz bags at costco. saves a lot of money.