Runners

Options
How much time would you expect to take off your 5K in a month? I just ran a 5K and my time was 27:07. I didn't really "train" or do anything other than my normal runs before the race. I do run about 60-70 miles a month though. I average 3m, 3m, 4m, 6-11 (for a long run depending on the week). I really want to improve my 5K time before my next race on July 27th. I started the Hal Hidgon plan and am just wondering how much of an improvement I could expect since I will be doing specific things to work on speed. I've never really ran for time....I run because I love to run. My real goal is a half marathon which I haven't signed up for yet because I have twins that are not sleeping through the night so my long run days vary a lot depending on how much they sleep!

Replies

• Run_Forever
    Run_Forever Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    A realistic estimate would be maybe 20 or 30 seconds you could take off your 5k time through training by July 27th. I would maybe have said more but 27.07 is very fast for a first 5k. There are other factors other than training that could improve your times by as much as a few minutes by July 27th. Make sure you are well rested, don't run at all or do anything 3 days prior to your 5k race. I know that might be tough if you have twins keeping you up at night but do your best to get as much rest as you can. 27.07 is a very fast time for a first 5k. If you do enjoy running and trained year round you would likely knock about 5 minutes off that time over the course of 1 year.
  • hammbone55
    hammbone55 Posts: 73
    Options
    When I first started running again at the beginning of May I ran a 5K in 44 minutes (I know super slow), but by one month later I had increased my 5K time to 38 minutes. So I shaved 6 minutes off my time. I can now do a 5K in 35 - 36 minutes so I've improved even more sine April. 27 minutes is fast though already so I would agree with Run_Forever that 20-30 seconds would be a good estimate for a month. My fastest mile was 11:55 and that was a hard mile for me. I am very short (5'0") so running fast takes more steps than say someone who is 5'9". Good luck on your next race. :)
  • parkermegan
    parkermegan Posts: 167
    Options
    Oh it's not my first 5K. I've ran a ton of 5Ks......all have been sub30 but, that was my fastest time. I have 16m twins and it was my first 5K since before I got pregnant.....I have been running since 8 weeks postpartum though! I think I could have ran a bit faster but I was completely unfamiliar with the course and it was very hilly.....the one I am doing is flat on the 27th so I'm hoping that helps too! I also have a 6 year old and almost 5 year old so I seem to start over a lot with running because of pregnancy :) (can't run while pregnant because I am always on bed rest with pre term labor and have early babies!).
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't expect massive speed gains in one month, if you shaved anywhere from 30 sec to a minute off you'd be doing really well.

A little OT but if you're hitting 11 miles for your long runs you're not too far off signing up for a half-marathon! If Sunday is your long run day let Dad know he gets up on Saturday night! :laugh:
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Depending on how hard you train, you could probably take off anywhere from 30-60 seconds. I noticed my PR's go closer together the faster I got (naturally), but I was able to take entire minutes off my times last summer. I was running anywhere from 100-150 miles a month back then. This summer, I am cross-training as much as I'm running, so I don't expect to see enormous gains in speed like I did back then.

Incorporate some sprint intervals into your running routine, and throw in some long runs, too! You'll definitely see some more PR's. =)
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I have been taking part in timed 5k parkruns for a month now and my slowest was 28:06 and my quickest (today) 27:24 so 30 to 40 seconds is achievable
  • parkermegan
    parkermegan Posts: 167
    Options
    I am lucky and have an amazing husband, but my babies are breastfed and he can't help in that area! I can definitely run a half marathon, I could right now! I am cutting back my mileage because I was training for one that was last Saturday (did a 5K instead) but now I am going to do the next one which is 12/1 so I am going to cut back for now and start the 1/2 training plan in another 2 months or so....I just didn't want to pay to register for the half (which I would have had to wake up at 4am to get there---and my husband runs with me) and then have the twins be up all night and get no sleep and not be able to do it! Right now if I have a good night I'll move up my long run or a bad night I'll skip and do it the next day etc....but can't do that with a race! That's why I figured I could run a 5K even if I didn't get much sleep! This course will be "flat and fast" so I'm just hoping to get around 26:30 or so....sounds doable. My real "GOAL" is sub25 :)