PCOS/ Insulin Resistance

Options
I am 22 and have PCOS and Insulin Resistance. I am currently taking metformin, magnesium, and chromium daily. However I cannot lose any weight despite running, doing Insanity, and lifting weighs. I'd rather focus on fat loss rather than weight but nothing has budged. Should I start following the South Beach Diet or another diet to keep me on track? I like following meal plans than creating my own.

Replies

• SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    You are going to get a million opinions here and everyone will challenge this but there really is only one effective diet for PCOS, that will help you get your fertility back and help you lose weight and that is a low carb diet that is nearly gluten free. You should research this on your own, but you are going to find that almost all effective diets point back to those two views with just a few changes.

Yeah yeah yeah, I know people on this site think carbs are the nirvana for diet...yada, yada, yada. Do some research. PCOS is a form of metabolic resistance - diabetes. It responds WELL to low carb diets and most doctors who treat it with any credibility will tell you that, not just put you on drugs.

My daughter has suffered with it for YEARS. The only relief she gets is when she does low carb/low gluten. She has upped her protein to her lean tissue weight and added MCT oil along with a ton of supplements, but the number one thing she says that manages her weight and PCOS symptoms is a low carb/low-no gluten diet.

Check out PCOS Diva, that is a good place to start if you want meal plans...they mainly push gluten free. But really you will need to learn to create meals that are low in both carbs and gluten.

Keep up with the exercise, do BOTH cardio and strength. Also make sure your in a calorie deficit because regardless of low carb/gluten, it won't bring about weight loss without a calorie deficit. Lean muscle tissue is important so be certain you are retaining muscle by consuming adequate protein and lifting heavy, NOT just losing weight.

Good luck, it is tough but you can find support and help out there.
  • spiffymacadamia
    spiffymacadamia Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS and I was recommended to do a 40-30-30 diet by a dietician who took this into consideration. What this means is that you should have 40% of your net calories coming from carbs, 30% from protein, and 30% from fat. It's the same recommendation that I found in a PCOS book that I own. I have been struggling with this problem since I was 15. When I was 15, I was 226lb wore a size 22 and had a lot of the problems that come with insulin resistance. This might sound like a long time but in 7 yrs I lost 100lb overall. How? I followed my medication regiment, became more active, joined WW (not any more, but good start), and eventually became a vegetarian. I am not encouraging you to become a vegetarian (though I feel so much healthier now) or joining WW (though it's a great program). I would recommend changing your goal settings and catering it to the 40-30-30 ratio diet. MFP allows you to do this. As a vegetarian I can't cut carbs and I still can lose weight and get enough protein on this diet. Doing a gluten free diet when you are not gluten intolerant is bad for the body. It may actually create a gluten intolerance by depriving the body of it and then causing celiac symptoms, if gluten ever reintroduced into the diet. This is something I know from what happened to my best friend and from personal research. Especially for us on metformin, we need to keep some carbs in order to not have symptoms of hypoglycemia. I would also try and see a nutritionist since they will be the best at knowing how to address your diet needs. Also ask your doctor about glucophage (spironolactone is the brand I believe). Helps with secondary problems that come with PCOS and insulin resistance, like excessive bloating. Feel free to add me as a friend. I would like a support system of ladies with PCOS as well. :)
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    The very first thing you need to do is go out and buy a Blood Glucose meter to determine what spikes your blood glucose. Too many spikes will lead to Type 2 diabetes. I've posted below some numbers that you should be following with your Blood Glucose meter.

My guidelines
    Under 120, after 1 hour after of eating from your first bite
    Under 90, 3 hours after your first bite

AMA guidelines
    Under 140, 2 hours after eating
    Under 110, before eating

AMA guidelines are high because they include people that are prediabetic and insulin resistance but if you want to be in a range of a truly normal, non-diabetic person, you should follow the numbers I laid out. Any fasting or premeal glucose level above 110 is known to cause beta cell damage and spikes above 140 are known to various types of organ damage. So it is important to know what foods are actually good for you by testing.

I am assuming you are not a Type 2 diabetic yet since you are only 22 so any low carb, high fat, and high protein diet would do. You might want to eat carbs everyday since it might make you feel tired. Try starting off with 30grams of carbs max per meal from 100% whole wheat and you'll probably never be able to eat sugar again or you shouldn't at least. The choice is up to you.
  • KandisV
    KandisV Posts: 26
    Options
    I don't have either condition, but am worried about my family history of diabetes and my last blood work showed my sugar levels were high and my fat is concentrated around my middle. My dr. recommended I try South Beach...I found the South Beach diet book at a used bookstore & read a ton about it before I tried it. It mentioned the belly fat may be an indicator of insulin resistance so that scared me into trying it.

I did phase I (which is 2 weeks of virtually no carbs or very low glycemic index veggies, no alcohol & no fruit...lots of lean protein & veggies)...I found it surprisingly easy. I wasn't hungry at all. They say most people lose 8-14 lbs on the phase 1, however I didn't lose anything, which was frustrating. But I guess it didn't come on overnight, so I can't wish it would come off in 2 weeks. I'm now in phase 2 which lets you add back some good carbs, fruit, and alcohol sparingly. I went off the rails for a few days, but back on track.

I can say I feel good when I eat good, and I feel awful when I eat bad. So, South Beach diet has been a good helpful lifestyle change for me. You may want to consider it.
  • HGelhotMD
    HGelhotMD Posts: 1
    Options
    I would check with my doctor to see about thyroid meds liothyronine (Cytomel) for hypothryridism - if you are. I also recommend Take Shape For Life.

I have seen both work QUICKLY but remember, you can "out-eat" any pill a doc gives you! So all in all the most dependable is the TSFL.

You can get it at drgelhot.tsfl.com. I personally prescribe it to ALL of my patients - yes, even pcos and diabetics! I coach them through it and then through to maintenance once they reach GOAL:)

These folks have been previously unable to lose weight after trying EVERYTHING and spending tens of thousands of dollars!

Kindly,
    Dr. G
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Ketogenic diet. 65% fat, 30% protein, 5% (net) carbs. Just keep your electrolytes and fiber up and follow those macros. Stay below 20g net carbs.
  • kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and have lost 184 pounds. I eat moderate carbs. It has taken me a long time (nearly 7 years) and I only have about another 20-40 pounds to go. I ahve gone from having a cycle every 7 months to a cycle every 28-30 days. Feel free to add me.
  • shaeshae18
    Options
    Hey, I was recently diagnosed w/ PCOS, too. I have lost weight w/ South Beach in the past and it was recommended to me to do South Beach or Paleo as they both helped other people in the past w/ PCOS. I just purchased a book written by an endocrinologist who specializes in PCOS for over 40 years. I've included a link to the book on B&N's website. I just started reading it, but I would recommend starting with South Beach (I've lost weight on it before and I think it's one of the healthiest diets you will ever find) while you conduct research and maybe see some Drs (I suggest seeing an endocrinologist that specializes in PCOS).
  • mambagirl
    mambagirl Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    At my Hospital we put people on the Atkins diet...More fat than South Beach and more effective...Your carbs should only come from Veggies until your insulin resistance is under control.Atkins is actually the ONLY diet that makes my Monthly cycle regular..The ONLY diet....I can do low fat,low calorie..whatever and NEVER have my period,but within 2-3 days on ATKINS it ALWAYS comes back ALWAYS...My problem is that I cant stick with it..too hard for my real life so I do Atkins for as many days as I can stand..which is usually 3-4,then I eat whatever I want as long as I stay under 90 carbs per day for a few days..then back to Atkins....I lose VERY consistently like this...