Clean vegetarian

Options
lwagnitz
lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
So, after my horrendous binge yesterday, I would like to see if anyone has any good "clean" vegetarian meals. So, in other words, a whole food plant based diet. I eat cheese and eggs, but I like to keep it to a minimum.

I would love to hear some yummy recipes.

Replies

• refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you'd call it 'clean', but I had a salad with cherry tomatoes, shredded beetroot, olives and cottage cheese for lunch. Yummy.

I had the Leggera Superfood salad at Pizza express, you could probably make it yourself: New Leggera® Superfood Salad
    Under 300 Calories
    Roasted butternut squash, beetroot, baby spinach, light mozzarella, sugarsnap peas, seasonal mixed leaves and Italian lentils with fresh basil, balsamic syrup and Italian
    pine kernels

was delicious.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian but my diary is a combination of 'clean', grubby and downright filthy. I personally do not see the need to eat 'clean', whatever that means. I just eat a lot of nutrient dense foods (fruits, veggies etc), eat 'normal' food and add some treats as my calories and macros allow.

Most recipes that you find will be 'clean' to some degree.

I would also suggest looking into this group if you are not already a member - they have vegetarian/vegan recipes.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/45-happy-herbivores
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian but my diary is a combination of 'clean', grubby and downright filthy. I personally do not see the need to eat 'clean', whatever that means. I just eat a lot of nutrient dense foods (fruits, veggies etc), eat 'normal' food and add some treats as my calories and macros allow.

Most recipes that you find will be 'clean' to some degree.

I would also suggest looking into this group if you are not already a member - they have vegetarian/vegan recipes.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/45-happy-herbivores

Agree completely with the above. I'm definitely more the "if it fits your macros" kind of vegetarian, and it hasn't adversely affected my loss. The Hungry Girl blog has a lot of good vegetarian recipes (not sure how clean they are), including a number of healthy versions of fast food staples, which can help stave off the urge to binge.
  • PheonixRizing
    PheonixRizing Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    http://www.vegweb.com/recipes/ultra-easy-lentils
    served with rice or rice pasta
    delicious!
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Check out a website called "Simple Green Smoothies." They also have an Instragram page that is really good. The recipes are really easy and usually come out really tastey (my favorites are the Strawberry Basil Cream and A Sweet Pear Smoothies). I try to have at least 2-3 green smoothies a week and I've done thier 30 day challenge before, which I think they are doing another one for July. I'm drinking thier Green Tea Smoothie today as breaky and then the other 1/2 later for a snack. A great way to add in more greens with little effort.
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Feel Free to add me. I come up with a lot of tasty vegetarian meals. Most of them are clean or close to it. I spend 8 months fully vegetarian but since I am back in marathon training, I've been adding fish into some meals for the protein. However, most of these meals or vegetarian based and my diary is open. Good luck.
  • Mere_Dith
    Mere_Dith Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You can go to the Forks Over Knives website for some whole food vegan recipes. Their whole diet is based on following a 'clean' vegan diet. I haven't actually tried the recipes although they all sound yummy, because I'm not much a recipe person, I normally buy whatever produce is on sale at the supermarket and make a kind of vegetable stew out of it and then eat it over brown rice, pasta or quinoa.
  • jennadelane
    jennadelane Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I made this recipe the other day and it was SO much food and it was pretty good with a lot of protein. Serves two, but I'm single so I cut it in half. To make it a little more "clean" you could cut the soy sauce, but its only 1/2 tsp. I would also at least press the tofu (remove the water). I also added black beans and cheese and my version ended up being 324 calories with 39 grams of protein and 38 carbs.

Tofu Scramble with Spinach

Ingredients:
    2 tbsp olive oil
    1/2 cup onions/pepper
    2 tomatoes
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 bunch spinach, rinsed
    1 pound firm or extra firm tofu, well pressed and crumbled
    1/2 tsp soy sauce
    1 tsp lemon juice
    salt and pepper to taste
    nutritional yeast (optional, I used 1tsp)

Preparation:
    Sautee tomatoes, garlic and mushrooms in olive oil for 2 to 3 minutes.
    Reduce heat to medium low and add spinach, crumbled tofu, soy sauce, and lemon juice. Cover and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
    Sprinkle with a dash of salt and pepper before serving.

Got the recipe here: http://vegetarian.about.com/od/healthnutrition/tp/high-protein-recipes.htm
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks everyone. Lots of good stuff.

As far as the "clean" thing... I don't eat 100% clean. I mean, who really does? Lol. But I try to because I feel much better when I do. And honestly, to me it tastes much better. Not a fan of canned/frozen foods. Doesn't mean I won't eat them, though. It's a preference thing, not really a health/weight loss thing :)
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I think we are all works in progress...so sometimes I'm "clean" and sometimes I'm "clean enough".

I try to avoid anything with refined grains..cause when you're a vegetarian it is easy to justify that vegetarian lasagna...which often times is made with white flour or rice flour pasta. I also avoid any kind of sugar other than naturally occuring sugar in whole fruit (I can binge on dried fruit.)

I've found flour (or flour like) and sugar can send me into a binge.

For me, the key has been buying the right kitchen equipment: The Ninja Blender ($100.00 on Amazon) makes incredible smoothies, the Hamilton Beach steamer makes steaming veggies incredibly easy. Also, keeping the "clean" foods ready to eat..always have a bowl of apples out, e.g.
  • RichOC
    RichOC Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Once I washed a vegan's hair in a salon. That's about as close as I can get to a clean vegetarian.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Kale Quinoa Salad
    1 can chick peas
    1/2 quinoa, cook with lemon enhanced water
    about 1/2 to 2/3 bag of kale (chopped fine, 10oz bag)
    1-2 bell peppers, red, orange or yellow make it pretty
    Juice of 1-2 lemons, grate the rind into the salad for more of a punch!
    Chop veggies, cook and slightly cool the quinoa and toss together with desired amount of olive oil, lemon, salt/pepper/sugar.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I also like to mix about 1c brown rice, as many sauteed mushrooms as I have available (splash with just a bit of balsamic vinegar at the end of cooking) Tofu cooked the same way as the mushrooms. I set this aside then take 1/2c or more to mix with a bunch of cut up spinach. Again oil/salt/pepper to taste!

I am not a vegetarian but I do love veggie meals!
  • storknursekelly
    storknursekelly Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Black Bean & Corn Salad

2 cans black beans drained & rinsed (or you can use 1 can black beans & 1 can garbanzo or kidney beans)
    2 cups frozen corn kernels
    1/2 purple onion chopped
    1/2 cup cilantro chopped
    1 red bell pepper, seeded & chopped
    6 tsp seasoned rice vinegar
    6 tsp of lime juice
    1 tbsp. olive oil
    garlic powder, salt & pepper to taste

Mix well & cover, refrigerate & eat cold. So refreshing especially on these hot summer days :)))

I also add a cup of cherry tomatoes, broccoli slaw, purple & green cabbage to the above to give me more fiber & raw veggies.

6 Servings Per Serving (original recipe) (1 cup) 225 calories 40 carbs 5 fat 10 fiber 9 protein