Exercising with anger—a success story (sort of)

Options
joe_d
joe_d Posts: 73 Member
So with no prior symptoms I had a heart attack late in July 2012 at age 56. I felt the first chest pains just after a cardio workout. I got treatment quickly and thankfully there was no lasting heart muscle damage. I was told how lucky I was to survive a widow maker blockage, and with nothing really wrong with my heart itself, the advice I got was essentially to turn the tables on the heart disease—attack *it*--by working out hard (within my heart rate limits) and losing weight.

That was easy advice to take. Even though heart problems run in my family, I was very angry it hit me. I was angry that the regular checkups, stress tests, cholesterol meds and aspirin, semi-regular workouts, etc., the past 12+ years didn’t prevent the attack. I was angry that I hadn’t been strong enough to lose (or not gain in the first place) the weight I’d added through the years. And I was especially angry that because of my negligence I almost checked out on my family.

I used all that anger to power my post-attack workouts. A couple of months of cardiac rehab allowed me to adjust to new meds and feel safe with working out again. After that I increased to six days of workouts, upgrading to HIIT cardio on the elliptical and rowing machines. I also restarted my Kettlebell workouts for strength, but with more intensity and heavier ‘bells over time. For weight loss I started to use MFP to manage calories, fat, and sodium. My wife, a clinical dietitian, has been a huge help with diet strategy. She keeps me focused on what’s important and talks me down whenever I obsess (“…but I need to manage my ratio of omega 3’s to omega 6’s better!!”).

Today, 11 months after the attack, I’ve hit my goal of losing 50 pounds, from 220 down to 170. My new goal is 160, but I’m currently in plateauville, so I don’t know if I’ve got enough gas left in the tank to get there. I’ve lost 8 inches off my waist so far.
33b90e7e-a969-4044-8eac-35687191371d_zps2c4fbac8.jpg

The non-visual changes below are the most important to me, though.

My body fat has gone from 40.5% to 20.8%--from Obese/Above Average to Healthy/Ideal for my age. I gained 6.1 lbs of lean body mass while losing the weight. (I’ve often read on these boards that this is just not possible while on a calorie deficit. I’m glad I didn’t share that fact with my body. :wink: )

My cholesterol meds had been doing their job nicely, but my numbers really shaped up after adding the strenuous exercise (Total =123 with HDL=73, LDL=48).

I don’t have reflux/heartburn any more and stopped the prescription meds I’d been taking for years for that. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea 8 years ago; after losing 40+ pounds I retired my CPAP back in April when testing showed the apnea was gone. Booyah!

I’m happy but stunned I was able to make these changes. I’m ashamed that it took a heart attack to motivate me.

But this isn’t really a success story since, like many chronic conditions, there are no guarantees with coronary artery disease. So I’m not claiming victory--I could be on my back on a gurney again next week. I’m just doing what I can to reduce that possibility. And exercising “angry” and converting that emotion into productive workouts is a big part of that.

Through the last year I’ve picked up lots of tips on diet and exercise/fitness out here which have been a great help along the way. Many thanks, MFP Community! :drinker:

Replies

• KBGAgent
    KBGAgent Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Great job Joe. I use anger to lose fat. I invoke it during Taebo thinking about certain coworkers.

Be proud, you done good.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on putting in the work to make changes! I think it's awesome that you were able to get off meds and stuff by having a healthier lifestyle!
  • JRSchumaker
    JRSchumaker Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on becoming so much healthier!

You also look incredible. It doesn't count as much in the grand scheme, but it still counts.
  • new_bella
    new_bella Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on becoming healthier Joe! Great success story, very inspiring!
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    GREAT job Joe!
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Great job Joe, You look wonderful and really in the 1st pic you did not look that much over weight.

Glad to have u as a friend on MFP..... :)
  • Sassybmom
    Sassybmom Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    You are incredible! So glad you're here to tell your story.
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Joe this is an awesome story. Congrats on your weight loss... You look younger and happy. You have glow about yourself and picked up some swag! Yes, you are victorious...so claim it. High five. Job well done.
  • Kittyvicious1
    Kittyvicious1 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    You look awsome!!! Enjoy life
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Kudos to you!!!!:flowerforyou:
    I had a stroke a few months back and I can relate. I can't remember a time when I was so BENT on losing weight. Stress is a killer.... and exercise has definitely helped with the stress!!! You look fantastic! Kudos to your wife also for helping you along the way with the nutrition part. :smile:
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    This is a great testimony and inspiration; thank you for sharing your story with us.

Well done.

8488541.png
  • phizzylizzy
    phizzylizzy Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    That is such a great story! I want to share it with my dad. I worry about him and want him around for a long, long time. You are very inspiring :) Keep up the good work and healthy, long lifestyle.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your accomplishment! You look great! But more importantly, you feel better. Kudos on achieving a healthier lifestyle.
  • girlfury
    girlfury Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    amazing accomplishment! :smile:
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Awwww, you look like a model! Congratulations!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I wish more people would read your story. I'm here because heart disease, type 2 diabetes, hypertension and obesity run in my family. I'm fighting the good fight, just like you. Keep up the good work!
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I'm glad that you've done so well! It's a better path that you're on. We all get that feeling that it can't happen to us, until it does. Glad your wake up call was non-lethal.
  • joe_d
    joe_d Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for reading this and for the comments and support--it's much appreciated. I wish you all the best. :flowerforyou:
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic! What an inspiration to your loved ones and to me! Great work.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    So inspiring! Thanks for the reminder!(I had blood clots in my heart 2012)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!