What would a healthy weight be for me?

I have struggled with this. I watch weight loss shows and see HUGE people that weigh less than I do. I guess you don't know their height on those shows, but I always find it odd. I've even looked around here and have seen people who are bigger and weigh less! What gives!? And what should I be aiming for?

Weight: 252
Height: 5' 6"
Bust: 38DD
Clothing size: 18
BMI: 40.7

I am thinking 145 would be reasonable - I used to think I should be like 125, but I think that would be too low for my build. It would put my BMI at 23.4 to be 145. I'm just wondering if anyone knows what I should be working towards. My pictures should be visible to everyone. I don't have my measurements, but I can get them.

When I lost weight in 2011 I was 195 and wearing a size 14-16 if that is a helpful indicator. I think I was almost in 12s when I was 175.

I'm overweight - yes, I understand this, but I don't think I am "morbidly obese" as my BMI suggests.

Replies

• wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    I just found a website that I think can help you determine the best weight range for you. It calculates your range using your frame size. First find out your frame size, small, medium or large and then punch that info in and it gives you your ideal range.

http://www.superskinnyme.com/ideal_weight_calculator.html
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    BMI is not perfect but it's an estimate that works for the majority. 145 is probably a good goal and yes, you are in the morbidly obese category at your current weight and you get to claim all the health risks that go with that. It's a really good motivator to lose some weight.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    I hear what you're saying. I also feel like i carry my weight well. I have a good amount of muscle so i know that helps. I'm 5'5 and 155 lbs right now. My goal is about 140. I would never try for 120 lbs, it wouldnt work for me. I think you could go by body fat percentage instead, that may be more helpful in determining a goal. 145 sounds like a good one though.
  • tawanda6329
    tawanda6329 Posts: 139 Member
    I'm 5' 6" and my goal weight is 150. I think it just depends what weight you feel comfortable at. I think I would be a size 10 at that weight.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Do you know your body fat percentage? From your pictures you seem like an average build with an average amount of muscle.
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    I think that at 5'6" you wouldn't want to be less than 140---160; see how you look and feel as you shrink and make smaller goals along the way to stay motivated........good luck!!
  • KaraAlste
    KaraAlste Posts: 168 Member
    You are tall so I think 145 is a great goal for you. :wink:
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    I'm 5ft 6in as well and currently 146. My goal is 120-125. I think 145 is a good goal- and remember, goals can always be changed! So if you get to 150 and decide you like that, then keep it, if you get to 145 and decide you want to lose a bit more, then that's up to you too :)
  • psykins
    psykins Posts: 76
    It really depends on your frame - I second the suggestion to take a look at the site that was referenced upthread that helps you figure out your frame. I am 5'6 and apparently I have a large frame. My goal weight is 145-150, which makes sense to me because it is a healthy BMI and is also the weight I was in my freshman year of college before I started gaining. I think I could go as low as 135, but my aim is to be healthy so I'm sticking to 150. My best friend, however, is also 5'6 but her ideal weight is in the low 130s. She just has a smaller frame - smaller wrists, smaller ankles. Really, your goal could be anywhere from 120-150, depending on your frame.
  • I'm very close to the same size. 5'6". Was 244. Down to 229. 38dd also. Difference is size 18 was getting too tight and/ or was too tight. My long term goal is about 150 or 160. Not sure exactly until I see how I look and feel.
  • SkagitYogini
    SkagitYogini Posts: 112 Member
    You can get as many answers to this question as there are people on this board. I also think that 145 sounds like a healthy goal weight. I know for sure that the charts in the doctor's offices are too low, so don't go by those, or at least add 5-10 pounds to what they recommend.

It's strange how we all carry our weight differently. At 204 lbs I was wearing a smaller size than my best friend who weighs probably 175-180. The most important things are a healthy heart, reduced risk for diabetes, and personal happiness.

Keep up your good work!
  • hannamarie88
    hannamarie88 Posts: 231 Member
    Thank you for all the replies! I do realize I'm obese. I just think that the BMI index is an inaccurate measure of my body considering the type of body I have. I'm definitely going to try out that website. I would like to get a full health work up done and find out my body fat percentage and everything -- just can't afford it right now.

Thank you for all the advice and good luck to everyone else :) I'll post back after I get my results from that site. And it's true -- I can lose weight and see how I feel once I get there. For some reason it's hard for me to understand that my goal isn't the end.

I love this site more than Weight Watchers. I just feel it is more honest and supportive. And I love that it does not cost money.
  • hannamarie88
    hannamarie88 Posts: 231 Member
    The calculator says I have a large frame and 140-159 would be my ideal weight. Good to know :)