Can't Sleep!

Options
I keep reading that it's neccessary to get 8 hours of sleep every night to lose weight properly... On average I sleep about 2-3 hours (WITH sleeping pills). How does sleep impact your metabolism??

Replies

• CrimsonHolly
    Options
    Is that 2-3 hours at a time or 2-3 hours total?

I sleep 2-3 hours at a time for a total of 5-6 hours (on average).

Everything that I've read has said that getting more sleep helps with weight loss. The reason is two fold:

1. Lack of sleep often leads to poor food choices. You start reaching for foods to give you quick energy which leads to lots of sugar/caffeine and generally overeating.

2. Lack of sleep throws off your hormones that tell you when to eat and when you're full. Again leading to overeating.

I'm hoping to find a natural solution to my lack of sleep. I'm tired of being tired.
  • lisas1019
    lisas1019 Posts: 30
    Options
    2-3 hours total a night :-/
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    If you aren't already get some help for that.

I try to sleep for 8 hours at least, I find it A LOT easier to sleep earlier when I get up early. For example if I am going to bed at 10-11 every night and waking up at 7-8 I can usually fall asleep right after going to bed, where as if I lie in until around 11-12 I cannot sleep until around 3-4am.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I have problems falling asleep, so I used to fall asleep at about 2-3 am and then be up again between 7-8. I've recently learned that if I heat up one of those rice hot pads (reheatable) and put it on my stomach, I fall asleep in just about 30 min. Maybe it's the warmth or the weight of it or that it gives my mind something to focus on, but it works for me.

Also, regular exercise usually helps with sleep but some people find that if they exercise too close to bedtime it keeps them up so you might want to look into that?
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Eeek. I have problems with intermittent insomnia, but usually manage at least 5 hours on most nights. Have seen a doctor about this? I would be a zombie if I went very long with that little sleep.
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Are you by any chance eating low carb? That may affect your ability to sleep. You'd have to up your carb intake and see what happens.

Next question: are you taking any vitamin B supplements? Vitamin B6 causes insomnia in about 10% of people (I found out the hard way, and it wasn't pretty). The only way of getting around that is not taking any vitamin B6 supplements.
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    How long has this lack of sleep been going on? And what kind of sleeping aides are you using? I will admit, the only thing that really worked for me was Ambien. I had tried Melatonin, Lunesta, and Clonidine. None of which helped me like Ambien did...however the downfall to that was when I did wake up from a peaeful/restful sleep I was pretty groggy the first hour after waking up.

Please see someone about this. Maybe get a sleep study done... because it sounds like you aren't getting into the REM sleep they say you NEED to have a sound/peaceful/complete sleep. And maybe they can figure out why you aren't able to get to sleep in the first place. Are you active all day before sleep? Are you over-tired? Over-stimulated when you do finally lay down? (you know, are you thinking about a ton of things?)

I really wish I could be more help to you. :sad:
  • Hotdawgnothotdog
    Hotdawgnothotdog Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    During the school year, I get usually 4-6 hours five days a week, I know everyone's different, but it hasn't proved to mess my weight loss up.