Protein

Options
hi, I am only on day 3 and today sent over in my protein. Should I be trying to stay under in my protein?

Replies

• timeofmylife
    Options
    Meant to say "I went over in my protein"
  • iamdesiderata
    iamdesiderata Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    anything that you go over, whether it be fat, carbs or protein, will turn into unused energy...i.e. excess body fat. every once in a while, a few grams over isnt going to do much, its the excess amount of calories, fat, carbs, and protein over time that contribute to excess body fat. Try to take in equal to or a little less than the recommended amount that MFP sets for you, and you should be fine.

hope this helps! happy 3rd!
  • eriny
    eriny Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    what is your protein amount
  • fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely nothign wrong with going over in your protein as long as you don't go over in you total calories for the day. Of Protein, Fat and Carbs, going over in protein and therefore under in fat and/or carbs is a good thing.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    anything that you go over, whether it be fat, carbs or protein, will turn into unused energy...i.e. excess body fat. every once in a while, a few grams over isnt going to do much, its the excess amount of calories, fat, carbs, and protein over time that contribute to excess body fat. Try to take in equal to or a little less than the recommended amount that MFP sets for you, and you should be fine.

hope this helps! happy 3rd!

I disagree with this. Maybe it was just worded funny, but it read like you were saying that if you go over in protein, that will always turn into fat. The problem is, you can't look at protein by itself - you look at overall calorie levels for the day (Carbs, protein and fat). There is a wide range of acceptable percentages that you can eat as far as carbs/fats/protein spread goes. MFP sets you at a default protein level of 15%, which is pretty low in my opinion. I'm currently eating 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein. It doesn't hurt one bit to go over in protein, as long as you are keeping your overall calorie level at a good level. Obviously if you were eating a ridiculous percentage of your overall calories in protein, like 80%, on a regular basis, your body wouldn't likely be getting the proper nutrients...and it might be tougher on your system (not exactly sure, since I'm not a doctor) but going over MFP's "standard" protein level is perfectly okay (and some users would recommend it!).