Losing weight with PCOS

Options
I just started my weight loss journey! My husband and I started working out in January and slowly changing our eating habits -- I didn't keep track of anything, I just wanted to start slowly changing things. We paused the gym for the summer due to being so busy with kids, and gone camping, things like that.

So, now we are both full fledge into the watching what we are eating -the whole deal: watching our fats, carbs, sugars, calories, etc...

I have PCOS, so I've done a bunch of research and am working on a diet that will hopefully help ease my symptoms.

Could you all take a look at the my food journal {its only 3 days worth} and share your opinions.

I love carrots, so I was having a serving of them with lunch every day -- but I read that I need to stear clear of starchy veggies. So, my plan is to increase my cauliflour to 2 servings with the chicken for my lunch.

Anyway, feel free to give your constructive criticism!

Replies

• lableo
    lableo Posts: 15
    Options
    Hi Laura,

I too have PCOS. I joined this site a few days ago and me and my husband are changing our lifestyles too. I do not have any children and have not been pregnant. My GYN basically said I needed to drop some weight and I would get pregnant. My periods and ovulation from PCOS are beyond painful and that too is another reason I want to try and reverse. Would love to stay in contact with you.

Good luck!
    Mandy
  • HeatherCanDoIt
    HeatherCanDoIt Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hi, I too have PCOS and have been dealing with it for years now. Just wanted to wish you luck on your journey!!
  • purplelaura
    Options
    Hi Mandy :-) I had all of those issues - I did some fertility treatment to get pregant, but had a hysterectomy at age 30. I am almost 33 now. I would also love to stay in contact with you! This is going to be quite the journey don't you think?
  • fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have had a look at your food entries.

I would suggest a few things.

Cut out the "fake butter" if possible. It is empty calories and not helping with overall nutrition. If you are using it as a spread, try hummus instead, or another replacement.

You need to eat a bit more. Never eat under 1200 cal. Ever.

You should probably increase your lean protein, increase your green leafy low GI vegetables, (thus increasing fibre) and decrease your starchy carbs (bread and pasta)

The less processed things you eat the better. They have a lot of hidden sugars, sat fats and sodium and thus empty carbs.

Obvisouly I have only seen a few days but if you do the above you will be able to control blood sugars easily, thus reducing cravings and your journey will be alot easier!
  • ivygirl11
    ivygirl11 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hi all!!! I have PCOS as well and joined this sight a few days ago too!!! I have not been keeping the dairy as well as i should until today.

I am marrierd and am 26 and I have been TTC for 8 years now and like some of you, the doctors (after clomid) have just said lose the weight and it will happen. I have 1 more round of clomid and then i am not gonna try meds until i lose the weight and know that, thats not the answer. Its a whole lot cheaper then the next ferility step i could take. I believe it because my cycles were fine until i gained weight. Now they are non-existent and when they do come a few times a year they are SO painful!!!

I would love to keep tabs with all of you...
  • purplelaura
    Options
    Heather and Ivy thanks for your replies and support on the PCOS issues -- Ivy, I too, have dealt with infertility. Anytime you'd like to get some "advice" on that side of things, let me know!
  • purplelaura
    Options
    Yes, yesterday was a weird day -- I didn't intentionally mean to eat that few calories. I'm trying to incorporate better foods -- but yesterday was so busy with the kids and having to squeeze dinner in and then go to the gym.

Anyway, I'm going to do better!

As far as the leafy greens. I plan on adding romain salad to my daily diet. I have a hard time with broccoli -- but maybe I can dice it up and sneak it in somewhere.

I made a note, even before I read your post, on my diet journal that said I was going to be cutting out the carrots (too starchy) and upping my serving size of the cauliflour.

As for the butter -- I cannot stand humus. I've tried it several times and just cannot stand to eat it. However, I like butter :-). But I wanted to try to limit the saturated fats that butter has.

I realize the "I can't believe its not butter" is bad -- I don't believe it has any calories at all, the Move over butter does have some calories and also has some grams of the poly and mono fats, which are good, right?

The problem -- I know that they make better substitutes for butter that is made with good oils -- I know that I could probably find it at whole foods and/or trader joes. But we don't have one close. So it would involved a trip.

Any suggestions on what I can do about the butter, would be appreciated!
  • SmileyCaz
    SmileyCaz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    I did suffer from the PCOS very badly until recently. I was on Metformin for over a year, In the 1st 6 months with dieting it helped me shift the weight I needed to. The pounds slowly crept back on when I came of the diet but I stayed at a weight I was happy with. My PCOS syndromes vanished and I was told I could come off the drugs.

1 week after coming off the drugs the symptoms started to re-appear and my doctor advised me that if I don't keep my weight down I will need to go back on them. i have come to realise that I will be on yo yo diets for the rest of my life unless I make a change.

I have found this book which has helped:

The PCOS Diet Book: How You Can Use the Nutritional Approach to Deal with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome by Colette Harris.

It's not a thrilling read but it does give you helpful tips and advice with regards as to 'What foods to choose' and how to adapt your lifestyle to make the right choices to fight the conditions of PCOS.

I'm still learning but trying not to think of it as a diet and more a lifestyle choice. if you look at my food diary you will see I'm still having bad days (like friends Birthday's) as well as good - when I stick to my Calories count :) But the weight is coming off.

Hope the book helps you too!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Hi. I suffer from PCOS and have for the past 12 years.............that I know of. I never had a weight problem until the symptoms set in.

My doctors have recommended a very low carb lifestyle based on: Farm raised meats, natural fats (NO vegetable oils, aka canola), lots of green leafy veggies and minimal fruit (use as a dessert a couple times per week)

I eat a lot of coconut oil, butter, lots of green veggies, moderate protein and fats (animal fats, coconut oil and olive oil)