In praise of cabbage

Options
anemoneprose
anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
You guys, it fills you right up. Impressed. I had forgotten all about cabbage until a few days ago, wasting my time on green salads.

I just shred up a red one and use a bit of oil & vinegar & salt and boom, salad for days. But oh no, takes forever to eat, because guess what, you're full. Really nice with grilled meat.

Replies

• Pohudet
    Pohudet Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Cabbage is awesome. I love cabbage soup.
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    My salads for work this week are half romaine, half red cabbage. I couldn't even finish it. I love cabbage!
  • anemoneprose
    Options
    I need to try that! (the soup I mean! may also try the salad, I guess romaine probably has some virtues too ;)

I just found this out from whfoods.org:

- tons of Vit C (42% for your whole day in 1 cup; 66.5% of your Vit K)
    - fights cholesterol! fights cancer!
    - fights inflammation -has omega 3s in amounts that compare favourably to equivalent portions of salmon??
    - supports digestion!

bad news about cabbage: may be "goitrogenic". Ignoring that part.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Mmm, corned beef and cabbage. ...

corned-beef-cabbage.jpg?ea6e46
  • anemoneprose
    Options
    That looks delish!
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    cabbage and chicken broth + spices for low carb chicken soup.

With that being said, don't let it fill you up so much that you repeatedly under eat.

...like most folks around here love to do.
  • iquiltoo
    iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I started buying Dole cole slaw in a bag for this reason. I even use it in sandwiches instead of lettuce, and any salad dressing is good on it too, not just the cole slaw dressing. Also I use those little tuna cans that have lemon pepper or dried tomato or whatever else in them and mix it in - that way I don't even have to add dressing because there's lots of flavour to them. It's quite low cal that way, and leaves me more calories for a more delicious supper.
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Now I have the urge to make me some cabbage salad or borscht. :)
  • Peachy1962
    Peachy1962 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I like to cook some vidalia sweet onions in olive oil til they are just turning brown (this brings out their sweet flavor) and then add in small diced cabbage and water and cook til tender then add in some bacon bits a tablespoon only has 25 calories and a lil bit of light butter at the end of the cooking process!!! Very tasty!!! I add pepper but no salt is needed because of the bacon bits n butter!! Let cool a bit and then Enjoy!! :tongue:
  • DreaMuffin
    DreaMuffin Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    love the stuff!!! i'll cut up a wedge, wrap it in tin foil with a little smoked sea salt, whole grain mustard and a tsp of olive oil and roast it. such a great, filling, side dish.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I like to cook some vidalia sweet onions in olive oil til they are just turning brown (this brings out their sweet flavor) and then add in small diced cabbage and water and cook til tender then add in some bacon bits a tablespoon only has 25 calories and a lil bit of light butter at the end of the cooking process!!! Very tasty!!! I add pepper but no salt is needed because of the bacon bits n butter!! Let cool a bit and then Enjoy!! :tongue:

noo, you cook the bacon first, then remove the bacon and cook the onion in the bacon fat. Then add the cabbage, saute a bit, then add chicken stock and reduce while simmering the cabbage. Add the bacon crumbled back on top just before serving with a little black pepper. :D
  • dwmaestradeb
    Options
    The Dole bagged coleslaw mix is now one of my staples...it's great as a salad, on sandwiches, in tacos and burritos...filling and a lot more nutritious than my other fave, iceberg lettuce.
  • CathyComics
    Options
    You should try The Food Network's Brussel Sprout Whole Wheat Spaghetti. Sooo good and filling! You chop onions, mushrooms, and brussel sprouts (which is a type of cabbage) in the food processor. It makes a creamy mash. 2 tsp olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, veggie broth, etc. Whole Wheat pasta. A couple of other seasonings. I melt toffuti cream cheese into it which is low-cal. Crazy how much you can eat!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Love shredding red cabbage with a mandolin and making slaw. It's so mild that way. Also love it in the winter all sweet'n'sour. Green cabbage, savoy, bok choy, etc. ain't no slouches neither! :flowerforyou:
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    love the stuff!!! i'll cut up a wedge, wrap it in tin foil with a little smoked sea salt, whole grain mustard and a tsp of olive oil and roast it. such a great, filling, side dish.

That sounds amazing! I'm going to have to try that next week.
  • xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Tasty stuff.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Love cabbage! Ham and cabbage is a great one dish meal that gets in all your carbs, veggies, and proteins. I also like it in salad...had an Asian chicken salad today made with rice noodles and shredded green cabbage.
  • gwenshoe
    gwenshoe Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Timely post! My cabbage is ready to harvest from my garden.
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'd forgotten this vegetable, thanks for the post
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I do cabbage like this:

onion, garlic, saute in coconut oil. Add a few potatoes, let them cook a bit. add cabbage, and any other greens I have on hand ( spinach, kale, collard, etc), and whatever fresh herbs from my garden. salt and pepper. Fantastic as a vegan side dish--or add a protein like grilled chicken for an entire meal! Yum!