How to Cut Down Calories to Lose Weight

Options
There is a simple equation that governs every weight loss regime; lose more calories than what you take. Now the question is how to determine the number of calories to lose weight?

Determining the Calorie Numbers
The number of calories to lose weight varies from person to person and the easiest way to determine that is to know the Basal Metabolic Rate. The Basal Metabolic Rate tells us the amount of calories needed to maintain our present weight without involving into any activity. The activity multiplier can then be used to determine the exact number of calories needed to maintain the current weight. Having this information we can now decide how much calories to consume and take.
According to an estimate, cutting down 3500 calories we can lose 1 lbs. of weight on average. But how low can we go down with cutting the calories to lose weight in a healthy manner. Experts say that it shouldn’t be more than 1200 calories per day because a lower calorie intake could result in decrease in iron level in the body which decreases the metabolic late. Now you certainly wouldn’t like that to happen.

According to a healthy diet plan you should reduce your daily calorie intake by 500 and another 500 should be expended by some sort of physical activity like sports or exercise. By working on this plan you are well on your way to lose 7000 calories per week which by calculation should result in to two pounds of weight loss. Yes you heard me right, that’s 2 pounds of weight loss in just a week.

Here are some suggestions to help you reduce your daily calories intake

Avoid Alcohol
A 5 ounce glass of light beer or wine can pack 100 calories easily. These calories can add up very fast and if consumed daily you are inviting 10 pounds of weight to your body every year.
Cut Your Carb
Carbs are necessary for your body but what I’m asking you is to cut it down to half. Eat half of the rice, bread or pasta, you would normally take. You can add some extra veggies to fill you up. Whole wheat grains are also a good choice. You’ll feel fuller because of the fiber inside them.

Use Salad for Lunch
Taking fresh salad is ideal if you want to cut down calories to lose weight. It contains both protein and fiber which are essential for a lean muscular body that you are after.
Spread your Meals

When you are looking to cut calories to lose weight, it is important not to go for a heavy meal. Spread your meals to every 3-4 hours so that you don’t feel hungry. A snack or meal every few hours would keep your hunger well in check.

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    What protein is in salad?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    You should probably review the Community Guidelines. Advertising isn't allowed. And you don't need to restrict anything from your diet as long as it fits in your goals. Exceptions would be if you have a medical condition, allergy or actual food intolerance.
  • LovinDaNewLiz14
    LovinDaNewLiz14 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I was liking what you were saying till you said cut out alcohol....ahhhhh hell nah I am good:drinker: , but good advice for helping others out if they believe what you are saying..:happy:
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    What protein is in salad?

Clearly you are making your salads wrong...

Salads should primarily consist of ham, turkey, and roast beef. With a nice garnish of hard boiled eggs, cheese and bacon bits. At this point, lay several small leafs of lettuce across your salad and thickly layer on some cream based dressing (I recommend Ranch). Several select veggies may be added at this point - primarily as camouflage to prevent your SO from noticing that you have a bowl of meat and getting jealous at your salad crafting skills. I'd recommend several cherry tomatoes, a couple slices of radish and a ring or two of green onion.

Viola!

(Or you could add some edamame to a bowl of rabbit food.)
  • SkinnyNewMee
    Options
    good post ! (:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    funny-bacon-only-salad.jpg
  • scarrletti_girl
    scarrletti_girl Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    yes i love the bacon salad lol
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Mmmm SPAM salad...

I especially like the part where he give "suggestions"
    That are completely irrelevant to cutting calories. Like spreading out meals (does nothing,) avoiding alcohol (no reason to if you are tracking calories,) just a bunch of complete BS advertising.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Why is the 1,200 a magic number re iron levels? Surely decreasing calories by 100 would decrease your iron levels, assuming you eat exactly the same but smaller portions. How do decreased iron levels impact your BMR? You are assuming a deficiency. What if my TDEE was 3,000? Are you saying I could not get enough iron on less than 1,800 cals?

The activity calculator - is exact? BMR estimates - are exact?

2lb a week is ok for everyone?

No strength training recommendation?
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Your ticker is at zero. How long have you been following your own advice?
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Meh.

I like beer. And carbs. And that bacon salad up there looks awesome.

No thanks.
  • Cherry_T
    Cherry_T Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Good info! But a bit on the wordy side...