NON-filling nutritional drink

Options
Right now I'm having trouble maintaining my weight and getting maintenance calories, not to mention all of the vitamins and minerals I should have. But I'm not starving myself, I don't deny myself food.

I'm looking for something to drink that will have some nutritional value and give me some calories (about 200ish, more wouldn't hurt.) I don't want to get the calories without the nutrition via soda and milkshakes, or swapping things for fast food/restaurant meals.

So I'm looking for something that won't fill me up. I'm worried that if I try meal replacements, then I won't be hungry to actually eat my meals. They seem to have the appropriate number of calories for my needs though. I eat energy bars quite a bit because they have a decent number of calories, but they fill me up too much to the point that it has become half my lunch.

Oh, I should add that I'm looking for something I can buy and don't have to make. That way it would be easier to keep them around for convenience (like stick one in my bag for the day, keep a stash in my car for work). I think homemade things generally need to be refrigerated right? Also I don't own a blender.

Replies

• waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    When in doubt go for the natural route. Blend a banana, some non dairy milk, peanut butter, and some honey. Add enough milk so it's not thick. Studies show that thick shakes make you much fuller for longer.
    My husband has trouble maintaining his weight as well and for him I also like blending protein powder or peanut butter with coffee and milk and honey, then pouring it over ice and serving with a straw.
    They will be a little filling, but not bad.

Liquid calories fill you up more because of the water content filling your stomach, so also consider buying natural dried fruit, yogurt covered raisins, whole wheat crackers, nuts, and other high calorie, low bulk items that you can carry in a ziplock bag for between meals.

If you are having trouble getting your appetite up, try waking up earlier. Drink juice first thing when you wake up. If you don't work early in the day, then another thing I like to do for my hubby cut up fruit or have a small bowl of dry granola to munch on while he does his normal waking routine (reading, browsing the internet, etc). Good luck. :)
  • aleshasnyder48
    aleshasnyder48 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    What about Ensure or Boost?
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    What about some kind of organic fruit or vegetable (or both) juice? Not filling, but have calories (for example, OJ has 110 or so per 8 oz), and they at least have some nutrients.
  • ShengHuo
    ShengHuo Posts: 42
    Options
    Ensure and Boost tend to have a lot of protein, so I'm afraid that I'll be too full. Also I can't do a shake. Ensure goes in feeding tubes. It grosses me out because of that. I've had some bad experiences with g-tube feedings (with my patients, I've never had one) I looked at the ensure clear and I think I'd be good with that, but it's expensive. I can't find a generic of it though.

Fruit juices might work... they at least have some vitamins. Maybe I should check out the juice box aisle. Thanks!

Edit: I was looking at v-8 fusion. not a whole lot of calories, but in my budget and better than nothing. more calories and vitamins than water.
  • aleshasnyder48
    aleshasnyder48 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You would think that they would be filling but they really aren't. I use them on days I work for the extra calories and protein but usually follow it up with a meal. I had no idea it was used in feeding tubes but I can see why you want to avoid. In that case, V-8 is great!
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for something with macro and micro nutrients--not filling? I use Green Vibrance myself instead of a multi vitamin. I mix with just a bit of orange juice, and some whey for breakfast.
  • ShengHuo
    ShengHuo Posts: 42
    Options
    If you are looking for something with macro and micro nutrients--not filling? I use Green Vibrance myself instead of a multi vitamin. I mix with just a bit of orange juice, and some whey for breakfast.

an addable powder in juice might work well. then i can go back to only taking half my vitamin; i tried the whole one today and have been nauseous most of the day. i am below on a lot of various nutrients (wether mfp tracks them or not)
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I drink the Pure Protein shakes after workouts and I don't find them filling whatsoever. They're very thin, and sort of like drinking a Yoohoo. They do come in varying amounts of protein and I'm drinking the least (21g), so the results may vary with the larger amounts.