Different Calorie reporting

Options
Help please because I'm trying the 5:2 Fast Diet and as part of my 'fast' day I have opted for Quaker Oats Oat So Simple. The manufacturers box states the calories for a single sachet are 185 yet when I scan the barcode using the myfitnesspal app it registers at 100 calories. Which do I trust? 85 calories makes a massive difference to me on the 5:2 diet.

Alternatively can I manually adjust the calorie counting on the scanned entry on my iPhone?

Thanks for your help

Replies

• TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I'd trust the packaging over the database. People mess with the numbers here, and they are frequently inaccurate. I've noticed some suspiciously low calorie counts a lot lately. When I check it against the the packaging or a secondary source, I'm usually right.

A serving of plain oatmeal (1/2 cup dry) is 150 calories, so my guess is that your sachet serving at 185 is correct.
  • tnicmorris
    tnicmorris Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    First, I would check the serving size and amounts that each calorie report are using. If that doesn't work, I'd go with the manufacturer's estimation. If I remember correctly, all the info on my fitness pal is entered in by users, so the user who first entered that info in could have had a typo. At the very least, I'd go with the higher number, just in case. I figure it's always better to overestimate and be under your calorie goals than to underestimate and be over your calorie goals.
  • SlinkyAndHerAmazingBunsOfSteel
    Options
    The box is right. I have a box of Oat so simple apple and blueberry in front of me. It is 131 cals per sachet but 216 cals when made up using semi skimmed milk.
  • paulhastings271
    paulhastings271 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • rachelwilliams93
    rachelwilliams93 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have the sachet quaker original porridge and mine is 183 calories including the semi skimmed milk,
  • b0nnyd0g
    b0nnyd0g Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    so the difference is with or without the milk. I must say that I would always count the oats and milk separately so I could measure what I had rather then the expected amount