Is it possible to get rid of the underarm sag?

Options
I have lost 55lbs over the last 2 years and am working on my last 8 lbs. Whilst most of my body has transformed, I am still concerned by my upper arms. I have been building up my upper body strength gradually with Jillian Michael's 30dShred/Ripped in 30 dvds using 8lb weights plus running/swimming and I have certainly gained muscle and tone but when my arms are relaxed they still look the very same as before I lost the weight. There is a lot of loose skin.

At the age of 42 is this just the way it is going to be? I was thinking of doing some higher weight/lower rep strength training for my upper body but will this make any difference to my arms? Plastic surgery is not a route I would chose but want to be realistic in my goals.

Replies

• saimabhaidani
    saimabhaidani Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have the same concern.... I really hope there is a solution :frown:
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I have lost 55lbs over the last 2 years and am working on my last 8 lbs. Whilst most of my body has transformed, I am still concerned by my upper arms. I have been building up my upper body strength gradually with Jillian Michael's 30dShred/Ripped in 30 dvds using 8lb weights plus running/swimming and I have certainly gained muscle and tone but when my arms are relaxed they still look the very same as before I lost the weight. There is a lot of loose skin.

At the age of 42 is this just the way it is going to be? I was thinking of doing some higher weight/lower rep strength training for my upper body but will this make any difference to my arms? Plastic surgery is not a route I would chose but want to be realistic in my goals.

Lift heavy things

weighted tricep dips

bicep curls

lat pull downs

etc etc

and HIITS

you need to firm up the arm muscles and most importantly burn that subcutaneous fat

welcome to my world!!

we can do it
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I like ropes, kettle bells, dips, push ups, assisted pull ups (I'm aiming to get to unassisted pull ups). At 59 it is a work in progress, but I do see progress.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    if its loose skin there is nothing you can do. its organ tissue. if its stretched it may firm some. but its nothing diet or exercise can fix. its luck, time, and genetics...

the only real fix for loose skin is to get it cut off
  • b_ray_73
    b_ray_73 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Building upper arm muscle can help to hide it a little but chances are that you would have to put on a LOT of muscle to fill the sag. The skin will continue to shrink for a couple years after you lose weight so it may tighten up some more on it's own. Other than that there's not a lot you can do for the sag.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    ^^That's encouraging. :sick: (phjorg's post)

Work your arms. If you can build some muscles, the loose skin can be filled out a bit. As I'm typing I can't remember how well you can see my arms in my pic, but I had the jiggle after not being able to lift much last year. I've lifted somewhat heavy with low reps, and I've done the low weight, high rep thing. I swear the latter was what got my arms back to a youthful shape. I'm not saying I'm muscular. If I wanted that, I'd lift much heavier. I don't really want that. I think it just takes a lot of time.
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    When you say "loose skin", did you mean it literally or were you thinking of fatty tissue?

If you meant it literally, then what phjorg1 said about getting it cut off was spot on.

If you meant fatty tissue: lift heavier, continue eating at a deficit, and be patient. Approximately 15 months passed before I no longer had the 'bingo wings'. YMMV.

:flowerforyou:

• Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Yeah, like Yeller said, it's pretty common for people losing fat to think problem areas are "extra skin", when there is still fat loss that needs to happen. What's your body fat %? Most people need to get pretty lean to properly assess whether they've still got fat hanging around their trouble spots or it's a skin issue.

I'm the same age as you and my upper arm measurement keeps shrinking. My arms are definitely tightening up, albeit slowly. I lift heavy weights, swing kettlebells, and eat at a caloric deficit. I don't think I'll have loose skin there when I'm as lean as I want to be. Fingers crossed!
  • SJoSid
    SJoSid Posts: 9
    Options
    Have you tried doing body wraps? It's not as permanent as surgery but it helps a little bit while you work out the problem areas.
  • AprilKnits
    AprilKnits Posts: 15 Member
    Options

Work your arms. If you can build some muscles, the loose skin can be filled out a bit. As I'm typing I can't remember how well you can see my arms in my pic, but I had the jiggle after not being able to lift much last year. I've lifted somewhat heavy with low reps, and I've done the low weight, high rep thing. I swear the latter was what got my arms back to a youthful shape. I'm not saying I'm muscular. If I wanted that, I'd lift much heavier. I don't really want that. I think it just takes a lot of time.

Thank you. Fascinating that the low weight, high reps worked best for you. I am doing that, plus all the dips, curls and lifts recommended by others and thought that maybe higher weights was the way to go.(I live in the middle of nowhere, no ropes here I'm afraid)

I think from the feedback here I need to just persevere. I am still adjusting my goals after reaching many of them and was trying to know if I was being realistic. I am finding these last 8lbs very hard to shift. Yes, there is some fat still there but not as much as it looks. I will just keep going!

Thank you all for your advice and support
  • JPitbull91
    JPitbull91 Posts: 33
    Options
    tricep kick backs with a dumbell

kettlebell swings

standing tricep extension (behind head with dumbell)

all good for firming up the triceps! - also HIIT training for stubborn fat loss
  • AprilKnits
    Options
    Pitbull - thank you for those ideas - doing them all already! Going to try upping dumbell weight and just keep trying
  • JPitbull91
    JPitbull91 Posts: 33
    Options
    It will help! alot of toning loose skin is all down to using high weight low reps to build the muscle first, then using low weight high reps to tone it up and over time the skin does actually start to tighten up. with anything though it takes time and effort! keep going youll do great!!!!!!
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    it will help! alot of toning loose skin is all down to using high weight low reps to build the muscle first, then using low weight high reps to tone it up and over time the skin does actually start to tighten up. with anything though it takes time and effort! keep going youll do great!!!!!

the amount of broscience in here is amusing...
  • loothi
    loothi Posts: 11
    Options
    I did quite a lot of casual internet research on this. My opinion now is - you can lose the arm sag if you have a really athletic, low body fat percentage, AND your skin is (probably because of it's age and genetics) kind enough to shrink back down.

It doesn't seem to work for everyone, and getting that really low body fat percentage is a hard and possibly unworkable task for most "normal" people (the diet and exercise requirements could be too taxing I think).

However I saw one pic of a younger woman who'd genuinely lost her arm sag (can't find it now!) with a great diet and loads of weights etc so it can happen.

If not, bah, a little definition with a little sag isn't the worst thing in the world (for me).

x
  • AprilKnits
    Options
    Loothi - I like your informed and reasonable thinking. I have decided to do some more focused upper body workouts twice a week and combine them with my existing exercise routine. Realistically I will never have the arms of a 22 year old again - but they are already looking better than they did when I was actually 22, so not going to beat myself up over it.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    If it's loose skin, then it'll take time for that to tighten. Some people it takes less time and some more. Some people have found moisturizing help and others have consulted with a plastic surgeon.

I know that through the success stories, people have said that lifting heavy worked best for them for various issues including this. If interested, you can check out NROLFW, Stronglifts, Starting Strength and Wendler. If you lack equipment, try reading Convict Conditioning or You Are Your Own Gym.
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    At 102lbs and 5'6 I still had what I call bingo wings. Working out 5-6 times a week and lifting heavy weights :(