Am I different? Why I am not losing weight??

Options
Hello! I am feeling really down at the moment. Can anyone please explain whay I cant lose weight?
I started running last year, have been doing it on/off since then. I started with shorter distances and was not doing it as regularly as now. Although I was running all summer last year (5-6 days a week, 3 miles at the time) and eating around 1370 calories, I was putting on weight. And I gave up regular running 3-4 months later.
Now I have a holiday coming and I decided I try again and harder this time. So I started running again. I didn't mention that I LOVE RUNNING and I got addicted to it. I have 11 pounds to lose so that is the main reason for it but I love the fact it relieves the stress and makes me feel great. So I have been running for 4 weeks now, 3 times a week, 4 to 6 miles at the time. My times are getting better and I can see the improvement in running.
So, I knew that I will probably put on a few pounds as my muscles would retain water but I was sure that would be temporary as long as I will keep running and counting calories. Today I stepped on the scales and my world fell apart - I still weigh the same as a month ago. I did put on a pound when I started and a week later I lost it again and after this I have weighed the same. There is no logic in this. I have been running around 12-13 miles every week and been eating 1370 calories a week and no difference whatsoever. Since monday I put my calorie intake down to 1200 calories per day and I try to east only half of my exercise calories (around 250). Still no change!!!! I have tried to eat all of them and tried not to eat any..
So I have waisted one month and basically I could have just been sitting and watching TV every evening and I would have been in the same place where I am now??
Oh and there is no cm-s lost. Still the same fat old me.
What is the point??? Running makes me feel better and I do feel proud of myself and I know my running is improving but all that doesnt really matter because I NEED TO LOSE FAT (OR WEIGHT) and I have failed again.
I really feel like I need to stop running and just keep counting calories, maybe I manage to lose at least a pound before my holiday...How come people on here keep losing weight just by running. I do not understand. There must be something wrong with me.
I am 144 pounds and 5'7"
I have been working sooooo hard and no results. Just want to cry..

Replies

• jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is around 1450. (I Had to guess on your weight)
    Here is what i say. You are likely underestimating your caloric burn for your runs. Running burns a pretty hefty amount of calories and you are most definitely not eating enough food. If you eat 1370 as you say and then burn 500 then your net calories is only 870. There is no one on this planet outside of midgets or children that can say that is enough calories.

If you enjoy running then you should not stop. Period!!! However your body will hold on to any and all energy sources it can if you don't give it the energy it needs through food.

So if i were you i would keep exercising but eat more. You might see some trouble though if your low eating has caused metabolic damage. It would take some time to fix.
  • AprilKnits
    AprilKnits Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am getting a bit emotional reading your post. Why should you keep running? Because it makes you feel great and proud of yourself! And so it should. Be proud of yourself - you have achieved so much just by getting up off the sofa and moving. Ok so the scales are not moving but there are other, and some would say better, ways of measuring your progress and the improved self esteem you are feeling is the best one. I too have worked hard this week and not lost even 10th of a lb, you are not alone.

I could list all the health benefits you have gained from exercising regularly, but you probably know them already. Focus on them, especially the fact that you have significantly reduced your chances of developing diabetes and cancer.Think how many people you know who never do any exercise - you have already beaten every single one of them in the race of life!

Offering some practical advice, are you eating healthily? How do you get your calories? Are you eating lots of fruit and veg, salad, lean proteins, wholegrains? I would agree that you are not eating enough calories and should eat more healthy and focus on your health and well being, not just the scales
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    You are in your healthy weight range and you are undereating. I put your age at 25, so your TDEE is 2500 calories. For TDEE-20% you need to be eating 2000 calories. I would suggest that you start upping your calories by 150 every week until you approach 2000. The scale will go up at the time because you have been undereating all this time. Do not be scared. At the same time, try to incorporate some other exercise in your exercise workout, along with running. Try doing blogilates.com exercises, they are short 10-20 minutes video and have for every part of the body, as well as full body workouts. Also, look at what you eat. Increase the amount of fresh foods and vegetables. If you would like to open your food diary for a day, people can advice you on how you can improve on that.
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Ignore the scale.
  • em2102
    em2102 Posts: 4
    Options
    Well truth is only very few people have a medical issue that prevents them from losing weight, so you can get checked out but it's more likley you're going wrong somehwre

Did you take measurments or bodyfat? That's the best way to know if you lost weight.

Have you ever seen an episode of secret eaters? People there are supposed to make a food diary, at the same time get filmes to see what they really eat. And even though they were supposed to take everything they eat, they underestimated their food intake by up to 2000cal. For example it's easy to not count calories from tasting food when you cook for your family that can easily add up to a few hundred calories.

The other option is that you have not been eating enough for weeks and your body got used to mantaing itself on less energy,
  • sherne1verizon
    Options
    Do not give up! You are not alone in your struggle. This is the right place to be for support, advice, encouragement. You are not different, you are unique! I am confident that you will figure out what is going on and achieve your goals. Keep running, enjoy your holiday and LIVE! LOVE! LAUGH!
  • Jomackinnon
    Options
    Take measurements rather than scales and increase protein intake. You will get there . I admire you for running I find it really difficult
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    The fact that you are running and trying to better yourself is an accomplishment. Even though the scales aren't budging, you are getting fitter and healthier. I feel your pain. I have been at this since September of last year, and I literally have not lost a pound. I am the exact same weight. I have logged and exercised and tried every method of calorie counting, except ultra low, and it will not come off. It sucks big time. But I am stronger, fitter, and my tennis has improved. I know your pain. Keep at it. You are still improving yourself. Hang in there. Just know that you are definitely not alone.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Are you under 18? Because last year you were 5'6" and 139 lbs. You were advised the same thing about under eating and not working out so hard. Did you do other exercises after you stopped running? Again, I think it would be a good idea to look at your food diary because I suspect that's where the problem is.
  • psec123
    psec123 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have gained about 5 pounds since last year. But I am 34 years old, it seems like its so much harder to lose any weight when you get older :(
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Open your diary it will help give an answer as well n
  • cesse47
    cesse47 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who say you need to eat more to lose weight. There are several good discussions of this on the MFP site. You might want to search them out. I've got a LOT of weight to lose and this time I am determined to succeed. I've done a lot of research on why I've failed in the past. Two things really hit home -- negative thinking and not eating enough food and not eating the right foods at the right times. I've become a believer in Positive Affirmations to help with weight loss and try to eliminate my negative thinking. I'm also changing up my eating plans. Some thoughts on this --

Consuming fewer calories than your resting metabolism will actually cause your body to hold on to calories. One way I'm trying to help fuel my metabolism is to eat smaller portioned meals 5 times a day instead of the "normal" 3. One site I visited says -- a 145-pound woman's resting metabolic rate is roughly 1450 calories. Factor in calories of everyday living and exercise, and she needs about 2000 calories to maintain her weight. 1450 calories is her minimum and 2000 calories is her maximum. If you eat less than the minimum, your body will feel it's in starvation mode and hang on to every morsel as fat to protect itself instead of turning it into fuel for the muscle. I've found that I tend to eat less than I should and it's something I'm trying to work on.

I found good info in a video from Dr Oz. It's a 3 part video and I think part 2 is especially pertinent to your situation. The link to part 1 is --- http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/metabolism-whisperer-eat-more-and-lose-weight-pt-1
    I think I'll see if my library has her book. I've found several interviews with her and think she has some good info. Like many other things, I'll pick and choose what might help me but I'm definitely open to new ways of thinking if it will help me in my weight loss journey.

One major thing I've become more aware of with my own eating is the amount of sodium in my diet. I've added it to my food tracker so it is displayed. Hopefully, it will help me make better choices so I can lesson that number over time.

Good Luck! :flowerforyou:
  • yogayug
    yogayug Posts: 15
    Options
    I could record all the health profits you have picked up from practicing consistently, however you likely know them recently. Keep tabs on them, particularly the way that you have altogether lessened your shots of advancing diabetes and cancer.think what number of individuals you know who never do any activity -you have recently demolished each and every one of them in the race of life! http://www.yogayug.com/
  • psec123
    psec123 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who say you need to eat more to lose weight. There are several good discussions of this on the MFP site. You might want to search them out. I've got a LOT of weight to lose and this time I am determined to succeed. I've done a lot of research on why I've failed in the past. Two things really hit home -- negative thinking and not eating enough food and not eating the right foods at the right times. I've become a believer in Positive Affirmations to help with weight loss and try to eliminate my negative thinking. I'm also changing up my eating plans. Some thoughts on this --

Consuming fewer calories than your resting metabolism will actually cause your body to hold on to calories. One way I'm trying to help fuel my metabolism is to eat smaller portioned meals 5 times a day instead of the "normal" 3. One site I visited says -- a 145-pound woman's resting metabolic rate is roughly 1450 calories. Factor in calories of everyday living and exercise, and she needs about 2000 calories to maintain her weight. 1450 calories is her minimum and 2000 calories is her maximum. If you eat less than the minimum, your body will feel it's in starvation mode and hang on to every morsel as fat to protect itself instead of turning it into fuel for the muscle. I've found that I tend to eat less than I should and it's something I'm trying to work on.

I found good info in a video from Dr Oz. It's a 3 part video and I think part 2 is especially pertinent to your situation. The link to part 1 is --- http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/metabolism-whisperer-eat-more-and-lose-weight-pt-1
    I think I'll see if my library has her book. I've found several interviews with her and think she has some good info. Like many other things, I'll pick and choose what might help me but I'm definitely open to new ways of thinking if it will help me in my weight loss journey.

One major thing I've become more aware of with my own eating is the amount of sodium in my diet. I've added it to my food tracker so it is displayed. Hopefully, it will help me make better choices so I can lesson that number over time.

Good Luck! :flowerforyou:

You really gave me something to think about. Probably I wasn't eating enough. I am trying to eat all the exercise calories back from now on. Lets see what happens. And thats true - negative thinking ruins everything, so I try to ignore the scales for some time.
    Thank you!
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    It might be that you are overestimating the burn from your runs and/or the duration, distance, and intensity of your runs, and /or you are not property measuring your food. I would not suggest eating more. I would suggest measuring your food like your in a science lab for a week and see if you notice a difference. I would also suggest not inputting exercise calories, but instead building 200-300 calories into your goal.