Hoping to lose 10 pounds on 5:2 diet

Options
Has anyone had success losing a small amount of weight on the 5:2 diet? I am trying to lose about 10 pounds, and I wonder if this diet will work for me. Thanks!

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It's not really a diet, it's an eating style. It only works as a diet if you run a calorie deficit which you can do in all kinds of ways without doing a fast.
  • Maisie174
    Options
    I think that this way of eating is great! Easy to follow, and effective. if you don't overindulge, it will produce a calorie deficit. I also think that the human body is evolved to have frequent fasting periods and there is increasing evidence that it improves one's general health.

Because it has been a great success in the UK, almost all of the recipes out there for fast days are written with metric measurements and English ingredients -- so I have started a blog with recipes (and links to information about intermittent fasting). Please check it out! I would love the feedback.

fastandfull.blogspot.com
  • mgirl49
    mgirl49 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have been on the 5/2 diet for about 4 months. I was about 30 pounds overweight and have lost about 12 pounds. I am steadily losing a pound every week or two. It is the easiest diet to stay on that I have ever tried.
  • Filletsteak
    Filletsteak Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hi there

I lost 7 pounds in 8 weeks (March-April) doing the 5:2 plan. It takes lots of planning and no distractions! I did mine on Mondays and Thursdays but sometimes had to change them around.

I stopped because I'd had enough and was happy with that weight loss. I'm now walking more and have lost another 2 pounds. I MAY go back to it again. A friend did it for a few months and lost 10 pounds - she ate a lot of protein whereas I ate any random 500 cals on the 'fast' days.

Overall, it works. Give it a month and see how you go!
    Good luck!
  • Salxmb
    Salxmb Posts: 6
    Options
    I have just started the 5:2 diet alongside a calorie controlled diet to help me lose the final few pounds a bit quicker. I was losing a pound every 10 days or so, but have lost 2lbs this week, so I am very keen to continue. The fasting days aren't as bad as I thought - I have low cal breakfast and lunch (as normal) and then a huge salad for dinner. I eat it about 7.30pm so I have less time to be tempted into evening nibbles. We had friends round for dinner last night, so I allowed myself to eat 'normally' so it's a fast day today!
  • wiremog
    wiremog Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've just started on 5:2 too - happy to friend anyone else doing it for mutual support :)

I have a colleague who lost a lot of weight in the run up to her wedding doing this diet. She's still doing it and finds it the most effective way to keep the weight off.

Personally, I control calories even when I'm not on a fast day, but it's nice to know if I go out and have a few drinks that I've already accounted for it during the week :)
  • Poprocket_2012
    Options
    i'm thinking of changing to this way of eating to shed the final 10lbs
  • Salxmb
    Salxmb Posts: 6
    Options
    Poprocket - have you tried it yet? If not, then do it just for a couple of weeks - you'll find it does make a difference. Good luck.
  • Charlieh16
    Charlieh16 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm on my 3rd week of this and have so far lost 7lb. I think it's great! I have around 150 clas for breakfast, skip lunch and then 300-350 cals for dinner.
    According to the book it's also called the "fasting diet" so you're not actually supposed to eat luch.