Does Exercise Help You Lose Weight?

Options
This is the best article I've read to help you answer this question:

http://www.runnersworld.com/beginners/hungry-for-more

It's specifically about running, but it contains profound truths anybody can agree with.

Replies

• tattedbarbz
    Options
    As long as I really push myself on the cardio and dont do too much strength. When I did the 30 day shred even though I was eating SO well I didn't lose weight. I only ever lost weight on it if I did about 15mins on treadmill aswell. In general though I think its mostly about the diet.. exercise just gives you more health benefits, motivates you to eat better and can reshape your body, it doesn't always make you lose more weight.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    That's basically what the article says. The line that spoke most to me was, "Well, running makes me so hungry." And the response was, "In order to lose weight, we need to be hungry sometimes." Totally nailed it for me.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Exercise helps you lose weight insofar as you build muscle and muscle burns more calories to maintain than fat does.
  • elvensnow
    elvensnow Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Eh I get the point the article is trying to make but in my mind it's a bit misleading.

Yes the equation is calories in < calories out.

But the point is there's two sides to the equation. Calories in is food. Calories out is your metabolism and exercise.

Yes I know I'm stating the obvious... but that's because this article acts like food is the only contributing factor.

What I got from the article was that this idiot wasn't tracking his calorie intake vs expenditure. Thus he was not making sure the equation was in balance (or, not in balance, as you prefer).

If you don't want to exercise then don't. You just have to eat less than an active person would.

As an edit I would like to add that without exercise you also don't get the benefits it has to offer that leads to better overall health. But again, to each their own.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Exercise helps you lose weight insofar as you build muscle and muscle burns more calories to maintain than fat does.

What I've discovered here on the forums is that the extra expenditure is like 6 calories per pound of muscle per day. Sigh.

However, you look a heck of a lot better when you've got good muscle tone.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    But the point is there's two sides to the equation. Calories in is food. Calories out is your metabolism and exercise.

Yes I know I'm stating the obvious... but that's because this article acts like food is the only contributing factor.

The thing is, people who don't use MFP totally overestimate the amount of calories they burn exercising, underestimate the amount they eat and place great weight on things like "after burn." I know I did.

I mean, an hour of weight lifting is like an extra banana and a cup of 2%. A mile of running is probably less.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    No, I went to the gym 3-4 times a week, zumba and loved it. Did this for a year and did not lose a pound. I had to watch my eating. 80% eating, 20% exercise. Once I ate healthy and exercised the weight come off. It was mostly what I ate. I am sure exercise toned me up but I know I would not have lost any weight had I not changed my eating.
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Yes. For me, **BUT** it didn't happen until I went so crazy on my exercising that timing of my eating became an issue. At that pooint I did lose my appetite...or at least the insatiable one I used to have. But when I only exercised for 3-5 hours a week, no, it did not help me lose weight.

Someone I know lost 80 pounds ONLY exercising. She continued eating the same, so her expenditure sure went up. She also got a little crazy and was doing more than an hour a day. But now that she cannot work out that much, she had to change her eating.
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Bump!! This article is so on point!!!
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Really not for me. I can exercise my life away and all I get is this feeling of well being and extra strength. Because my appetite is stronger the more I exercise. Someone just said you have to be a little hungry to lose, well thats the only way I every did it. I'm maintaining for the last 6 months with 12 pounds to go, and I've increase my exercise by joining a gym. HA! I gotta work on my food.
  • jassyjan1
    jassyjan1 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Bump, great article
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Exercise makes you stronger, fitter and "hardens" your muscles. Calorie deficit is what helps you lose weight. And they can be done together.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sati18
    sati18 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    LOVE this - totally brilliant read
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Yes, eating is 80%, exercise 20% of losing weight. Burning calories can accelerate diet but is not enough by itself.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    The only reason I exercise is so I CAN eat more. The problem is that people confuse eating 'more' with eating whatever you want all the time - which is not going to work. BUT the fact that I walk so much gives me 5-600 calories extra every day and believe me I eat just about every one! Been doing it for just about a year down 60 lbs.

Assuming you are not grossly over estimating your burn it works. Exercise by itself will not help you lose weight but when you combine some activity with a reasonable deficit exercise will allow you to have a nice desert after dinner (mine's usually a big bowl of cereal) Now, you CAN totally lose weight without doing anything at all but then you can't have desert :p I like my way better!
  • aquamarinex
    aquamarinex Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Right with you on this one re exercise being a way to enjoy life a little more foodwise and still lose the excess. Great to hear you have done so well with the weight loss so far - well done for sticking with it for that year :-)
  • kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Depends how you look at things...yes to "lose weight" nutrition prolly is 80% off it. But exercise improves your cardiovascular system, builds muscle (which even if you work out the claim of 6 calories per pound of muscle per day - which I am not sure how accurate that is...i have over 140 pounds of muscle....thats over 600 calories per day)......you simply look better....and if i can be a size 8 at 170 pounds thanks to exercise or a size 10 at 170 pounds due to lil or no exercise....I know which one I am going for, of course if you are stuck on just a number on the scales...its a different story and I guess then it may only be about nutrition.
  • spiritedsaviour
    spiritedsaviour Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    In to read later
  • gpdaddy59
    gpdaddy59 Posts: 5
    Options
    Exercise absolutely helps you lose weight. Strength training is the best type of exercise to help someone lose weight because an increase in muscle mass increases your metabolic rate. The use of a muscle burns calories. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn. Additionally, while strength training, as the muscles heal from the work out, your metabolic rate has to increase to heal the muscle.

During cardiovascular training, your muscles burn the calories. The larger your muscles, the greater the calorie usage. While cardiovascular exercise will burn those calories for the short term, an increase in muscle mass will burn more calories throughout the day, the week, the month (even while you sleep). This is why true aerobic circuit training is so popular and effective.

I believe that a combination of both Strength and cardiovascular training is the best answer while trying to lose weight and maintain a healthy weight.. Hope this helps a little.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Great article.

You cant outrun a bad diet, period.