WHy can't I just walk away?

Options
I had a great day... ate healthy worked out & I get home and my husband has Mc'Ds I know I'm not hungry & that I worked very hard all day. Yet, I still manage to get 4 nuggets in my mouth :/ I swear they jumped in... Maybe ya'll can share some tips beacuse obviously I lack will power...

Replies

• iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    That's pretty much why I stay away from McDonalds. Of course my spouse is with me in my boycott of such places.
  • king6083
    king6083 Posts: 30
    Options
    I always lack the willpower to say no to to yummy things to snack on. Easiest way is to tell him firmly not to have that kind of food around when you're home.
  • donkeysh0w
    Options
    Watch the movie Food Inc.. you will no longer have that issue with McDonalds food (i promise!)
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I always lack the willpower to say no to to yummy things to snack on. Easiest way is to tell him firmly not to have that kind of food around when you're home.

I don't agree with this. He should be able to eat whatever he wants whenever he wants...you need to work on being able to resist it, walkout of the room, have some healthy stuff in the fridge ready to go for this reason, go brush your teeth,...picture them like little fat nuggets, whatever it takes..unfortunately the onus is on you to be able to resist them, it's not easy but it can be done.
  • garciabm
    Options
    You only had four! that is will power! Control is a muscle that gets stronger each time you use it. next time you'll do better. It helps to not have it around. Ask your partner to help you out by not bringing it home.
  • angelascott919
    Options
    It is hard, believe me I know. I haven't had any McD's in nearly 3 months. But if it were sitting on the dining room table it would be hard to just walk away. It is best to just leave the room where it is, go outside, go for a walk. Have the worst picture ever taken of you posted on the fridge, anything to remind you of what you used to look like and no longer want to look like. Have a picture of your goal outfit beside it.

The will is there, be strong, you've worked too hard to throw it away on a processed, deep fried, greasy, sort of chicken substance. This is how I have to describe food to myself to remind me of what it will do to my body. I think about the process of how it was made and what the grease and fat would taste like ewwwww.
  • king6083
    king6083 Posts: 30
    Options
    I don't agree with this. He should be able to eat whatever he wants whenever he wants...you need to work on being able to resist it, walkout of the room, have some healthy stuff in the fridge ready to go for this reason, go brush your teeth,...picture them like little fat nuggets, whatever it takes..unfortunately the onus is on you to be able to resist them, it's not easy but it can be done.

Being single I don't have that exact problem myself. I just limit the amount of junk food I buy.

Not that what you say isn't all true, it absolutely is, her lifestyle change shouldn't dictate that he too change his, but let's be honest, some support from a spouse shouldn't be too much to ask for at least while she's in transition to the new lifestyle.

If I were married and my wife asked me not to have fast food laying around when she gets home from work, I'd be very selfish if I didn't make an effort to stop doing so. Though again in the long term her husband should be able to have whatever food he wants.
  • RSulli68
    RSulli68 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up. Just learn from it. 4 nuggets is roughly 184 calories. You can walk an extra 45 minutes tomorrow to burn most of that. That was a minor setback in the big scheme of things. Just keep on breaking the habit. At one time I would have eaten 1000 plus calories at Mickey D's, now if I go to McDonalds I get a SW salad with chicken and skip the dressing.
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    don"t say you can't:ohwell: but do you want to work off those calories:mad: like i had to when i over ate on that spaghetti:laugh: i was up past one in the moring but it paid off and i was 4 ounce lighter
  • danielle4992
    danielle4992 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    my husband will bake breads and cakes and brownies with frosting and BEG me to try it.. i tell him to go **** himself and no lol its never a mean go **** yourself, just a humourous one. I have had to work really hard to say no, he can eat what he wants and his metabolism is very forgiving where as mine is not. It's hard, and I don't think it gets any easier. My husband isn't NOT supportive, he actually has an account on here and watches calories here and there, but then binges ( eats huge pieces of cake and stuff like that).Sometime we will go on bike rides together, even though we eat differently we find a common middle ground. You just gotta stick to your guns!
  • ysaidpie
    ysaidpie Posts: 83
    Options
    Just imagine those red numbers saying you went over your calorie intake for the day- that always works for me! :)
    The thing is, the less you eat those foods, the less you crave them or even like them.
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Well I've got a story that will make you never eat mc nuggets again for as long as you live, but I won't share it on public bulletin boards. (private info + GROSS!) so message me if you want me to ruin them for ya!
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Carb Monsters....they are out to get you..................thats what I tell me....
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of when I 1st started logging on here. I was doing a no fast food challenge and had been doing great. One weekend morning my husband got up before me and ended up getting 2 big mac value meals and brought them home. I was like are you serious why would you get this for me? He goes you like Big Macs. I just put the Big Mac and fries in the fridge and told him that was his breakfast for the next morning. He always has some sort of candy in the house as well.

I think it ends up on you if you put the stuff in your mouth. I don't expect my husband not to eat what he wants. He does eat what I cook or fix up for a snack so he is willing to have healthy food along with his junk.
  • anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    You only had 4! Thats good I would say.

For next time, Take 2 or 3 in ur plate. And eat the first one real slowly. Like have a little nibble, stay for a few seconds and then next bite/nibble. Again some take some gap. You will get the taste of it and won't really feel like eating after 1 nugget or so.

It generally helps for me, after 1 nugget or so my mind is cleared and I realize why I should not continue eating. And my craving also is gone.
    I had a great day... ate healthy worked out & I get home and my husband has Mc'Ds I know I'm not hungry & that I worked very hard all day. Yet, I still manage to get 4 nuggets in my mouth :/ I swear they jumped in... Maybe ya'll can share some tips beacuse obviously I lack will power...
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    You don't have to walk away, you just have to account for it. It can be difficult to avoid all the good/bad stuff in the world. We can't force others to conform to our chosen new lifestyle. We have to learn to deal with it. So next time it happens, enjoy the moment, account for it and do what you gotta do to balance your books. Do a little more exercise, take a walk, do some aerobic stepping, or what ever you can do at home.... for that matter, go wash down the walls in the kitchen or bathroom! That could count too. After while either you will have a very clean house, or you will lose your taste for the stuff.

I would also talk to those that live with you and ask them if they could please put their left overs away when they are done and put the bags and wrappers in the trash. Also ask them to get you a garden salad the next time they go instead of the nuggets or what ever.

Good Luck!
  • Mita_Mita
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will keep everything in mind next time. I really appreciate the good advise.I will put it to good use.