is my diet unhealthy? :/

Options
I follow intermittent fasting (easier for my lifestyle) trying to lose a few pounds before i bulk.
stats: 132lb's, 5ft 3, male. TDEE: 2500

meal one (1:00pm)
40g brown rice (dry weight)
100g turkey breast
half a cucumber
portion of green vegetables

meal two (2:30pm)
100g greek yogurt
50g cottage cheese
20g peanut butter
1/2cup quinoa .

meal three (4:00pm)
70g quaker oats
80g blueberries
200ml semi milk
100ml almond milk
40g all bran (extra fibre low GI 30)
1 whole egg

meal four (6:30pm)
90g brown rice (dry weight)
150g chicken breast
mixture of green veggies

Total macro's
230 carbs, 140protein, 40 fats.

any advice on what i could change or any other replacements? and what could i do if i was to space it out or add things with a different meal? overall is this a bad or good cutting diet?

Replies

• lilcassers
    lilcassers Posts: 163
    Options
    I think the quality of your food is good. However, by not eating until 1:30, you're casuing your body into starvation mode which dumps off extra hormones that contribute to weight gain. You should be eating withing an hour of waking up to rev up your metabolism.

If you're looking for something easy and quick in the morning, I always recommend greek yogurt, quest bars, shakeology, protein shakes, fruit as fast options :)
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    I think the quality of your food is good. However, by not eating until 1:30, you're casuing your body into starvation mode which dumps off extra hormones that contribute to weight gain. You should be eating withing an hour of waking up to rev up your metabolism.

If you're looking for something easy and quick in the morning, I always recommend greek yogurt, quest bars, shakeology, protein shakes, fruit as fast options :)

Ignore this. I'm not qualified to explain what is right, but I do know enough to know that this is wrong.

Try this group, they are very helpful.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
  • davidparker12
    Options
    that starvation mode is a myth... there has been numerous studies over a 24hr fasted period neither male had any metabolic difference, and fasting for 18 hours with a 6 hour eating windows increases human growth hormone, stops insulin storing fat, increases leptin. leptin is the key hormone for weight loss.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

False. Meal frequency and timing are purely preferential.

OP, your food choices look excellent. If you're consuming less calories than your TDEE by accurately measuring and counting everything you eat (assuming your TDEE has been calculated accurately, if not even a little conservatively) you will see losses. During a cut, slow and steady with adequate protein and heavy lifting to preserve muscle mass is going to be one of the best approaches. And if you find yourself getting bored with that menu, don't be afraid to throw in some other things that you might enjoy even if they are "unhealthy". Labeling food good or bad, healthy or unhealthy is a waste of time.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Ignore the starvation mode stuff - it isn't a myth but it's being used completely wrong in this thread. I won't derail by going into the details.

Back to your diet - it's fine as a meal or a day but you need to have variety to assure micronutrient needs. Vary what you eat every day a bit. The fact that you post this - asking if a day of food is unhealthy makes me think you might be focusing on the wrong things. You can eat a large variety of things and not worry too much about how healthy it is if you mostly focus on variety and freshness and including a lot of fruits and vegetables. There is no need to remove so called "unhealthy" food 100% if it helps you stay on your program.

The single most important factor of health as it affects a variety of biological markers is weight, followed closely by activity. So focus on that first. I'm not saying what one eats does not matter, just that focusing on what matters most is an excellent path.
  • davidparker12
    Options
    Ignore the starvation mode stuff - it isn't a myth but it's being used completely wrong in this thread. I won't derail by going into the details.

Back to your diet - it's fine as a meal or a day but you need to have variety to assure micronutrient needs. Vary what you eat every day a bit. The fact that you post this - asking if a day of food is unhealthy makes me think you might be focusing on the wrong things. You can eat a large variety of things and not worry too much about how healthy it is if you mostly focus on variety and freshness and including a lot of fruits and vegetables. There is no need to remove so called "unhealthy" food 100% if it helps you stay on your program.

The single most important factor of health as it affects a variety of biological markers is weight, followed closely by activity. So focus on that first. I'm not saying what one eats does not matter, just that focusing on what matters most is an excellent path.
    so what do you recommend i add to my diet, more fruits/vegetables/legumes? thanks.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

so what do you recommend i add to my diet, more fruits/vegetables/legumes? thanks.
    No, it looks very good - I suggest day to day variety in all sources of food - the mix looks good for one day.
    Your TDEE also looks great for your weight. Are you losing at this amount? I this your calculated or experienced TDEE?
  • davidparker12
    Options
    that's my tdee, I ate at 2500 for a week with my regular routine and stayed the same weight so i took 2500 as my main number and subtracted it by a decent calorie deficit.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Umm, just wondering about the math

230 carbs = 2070 cals
    40 fat = 160 cals
    140 protein = 560 cals

That's more than 2500. Looks like you might want to cut a bit on the carbs.
  • mjl54
    mjl54 Posts: 127 Member
    Options

230 carbs = 2070 cals
    40 fat = 160 cals
    140 protein = 560 cals

not sure on YOUR math looks like you have the fat and carbs reversed
    230 carbs x4 = 920
    40 fat x9 = 540
    140 protein x4 = 560
    total 2020
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

230 carbs = 2070 cals
    40 fat = 160 cals
    140 protein = 560 cals

not sure on YOUR math looks like you have the fat and carbs reversed
    230 carbs x4 = 920
    40 fat x9 = 540
    140 protein x4 = 560
    total 2020

Yep, correct, my mistake. Apologies. Sorry.