I'm 6 weeks into this and could use some advice please.

Options
I think I'm doing everything right but have been unable to lose more than about 3 pounds since I started 6 weeks ago. I set my calorie goal to lose 1.5 pounds per week. I am doing lots of cardio and am doing strength training with a trainer twice a week. Body fat is going down a lot but my weight is not. I realize muscle weighs more than fat, but I wonder if the make up of the calories I am consuming is a problem. Too many carbs? Any advice is really appreciated. I believe my diary is open. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• LucyMcd1
    LucyMcd1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure why that's happening, but losing weight will take time. Good luck
  • erikkmcvay
    erikkmcvay Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Still a short time but perhaps open your diary (I'll go see if it's open as soon as I finish this post) so we can look.

Carbs aren't bad though excessive simple carbs IS bad. So be sure to stay away from 'What Death' as we used to call it when I was body building (many years, in fact some decades, ago): White Bread, White Rice, Mayo/ Miracle Whip, Potatoes, White Sugar etc.

Eating back cardio cals is fine, I do it, but try not to eat them all back as most often people overestimate their burn and underestimate their caloric intake.

And give it time :) I didn't start to really lose until after the first two months of working at it and that was 50lbs ago :) (27 on MFP)
  • erikkmcvay
    Options
    Also, don't forget to double check your goals. Make sure you use sedentary if you work a desk job no matter how much you work out -- your weight training and cardio do not count towards your base calories -- that's why MFP lets you 'eat them back'.
  • mtnhiker1
    mtnhiker1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    It is hard to say with out knowing any more - I have had no problem losing weight (so far, knock on wood) but I am at a high starting weight (which is bad, but helps when trying to be successful). That said - When I set my calorie goal, I was conservative in my estimate of my activity level (I said sedentary - I actually do more than that). I do not add calories for exercise - and if I do in the future it will be a percentage of whatever calories (machine or calculated) I supposedly burn (maybe 50%??) just in case I am wrong.
    Also if I save any up I deduct 30% of my saved calories per week.
    These are my thoughts - But I have only been at this for just over 2 weeks.
  • Micksmom9
    Micksmom9 Posts: 8
    Options
    Sometimes it takes more time and it depends on how over weight you are. And if youre seeing the fat drop, thats awesome! Id much rather have loose clothes first than see just numbers :) just keep doing what your doing! Obviously its working if you are seeing a thinner you! Good luck!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    In my experience, weight doesn't come off smoothly. You lose a little, hang there a while, and then lose a little more. I'd look at salt and water retention as possible reasons why there hasn't been more loss. Over all, you're very successful at this point. Be proud of your accomplishments!
  • erikkmcvay
    Options
    In my experience, weight doesn't come off smoothly. You lose a little, hang there a while, and then lose a little more. I'd look at salt and water retention as possible reasons why there hasn't been more loss. Over all, you're very successful at this point. Be proud of your accomplishments!

Aint that the truth! I see it as a constant fight! I dropped to 233 12 days ago, then rose back up a bit and then dropped back down to it. Sometimes I 'KNOW' I'm going to start dropping again and other times I just look at the numbers and tell myself: next week.

Constant battle but once you begin to accept that it takes time and your body doesn't work the way you want it too then you'll get the hang of it!
  • Nacho12
    Nacho12 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this for 10 months now. I remember that when I first started, I couldn't believe how slow the weight loss was. I was keeping the calories low, logging everyday, exercising two hours a day (most days) and still it was slow. I just kept going because I knew something had to happen eventually. I finally started losing and it has been a very slow process. I have lost 24 pounds since last August. So hang in there, measure yourself once in a while (or try on clothes) and you will find that you are losing fat even though it doesn't show on the scale. Good Luck.
  • succeedin2
    succeedin2 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Hi Welcome, Your body is trying to process everything, think about cleansing taking place from the inside, toning and you have more energy! Don't focus on the scale but losing fat and gaining muscle.

Keep up the good work!
  • marcon125
    marcon125 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    If you have only 10 lbs to lose, expecting to lose 1.5 lbs a week may be unrealistic. Your body as it gets closer to "ideal" will slow in weight loss. I am in the same circumstance and set my goals for a 1/2 lb loss. On average I have lost .6lbs a week but it was not steady. Also I found that it was the quality of what I ate as well as quantity. You might also look at what activity you are doing. Is you are doing strength training, you may be building muscle. Take body measurements. That will also add to overall fitness picture.

Hope this helps.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Because of your age and how close you are to your weight goal, it is more realistic to go for 1/2lb per week.