Beginning strength training

Options
Ive been doing cardio and I love spin class and have actually become hooked on spinning! But now I'm ready to start some strength training...tone up not bulk up....I need suggestions for beginning strength training routines. Any suggestions would be great!

Replies

• brightblueskie
    Options
    I have the book New Rules of Lifting for Women and I loved it to get me started in the weight room! It's a 6-12 month plan and I looked and felt amazing by the end. I actually took the book with me to the gym the first few times and felt like a complete nerd-o (after that I just wrote down what I was doing in a notebook), but you will get over the feeling that you don't know what you're doing really fast and it's worth it to start. Also, ask the gym staff if you don't know how to use a piece of equipment or proper form on one of the exercises on the plan. Good luck!! The hardest part is starting.
  • A2Zscents
    A2Zscents Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Ive been doing cardio and I love spin class and have actually become hooked on spinning! But now I'm ready to start some strength training...tone up not bulk up....I need suggestions for beginning strength training routines. Any suggestions would be great!

I'm addicted to spin class as well and definitely need to incorporate more strength training. I found a bunch of routines on Pinterest that I do at home with free weights. I have yet to touch any machine at the gym...too intimidated. :) Isn't spin amazing?? Love, love, love it!
  • nikosneeko1
    nikosneeko1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'm going to go the bookstore and look for it today!
  • nikosneeko1
    nikosneeko1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I love it! I do the elliptical and zumba, but I wasn't sticking to it regularly...then I tried spinning and now I can't wait to get to class! IDK why I love it so much, but I'm not going to question it lol
  • jalloggio
    jalloggio Posts: 141
    Options
    Compound exercises. Military press. bench press, squats anything that involves multiple muscle groups. Start on machines if not use to free weights. DBs are good but if you have access to the gym use machines. DB's are good but arent neccesary yet :)
  • paradisegal1980
    Options
    My suggestion in starting a weight training program is the approach I started out with quite a few years ago and it was based on the book called Body for Life. Its a progressive regimen and you start at your own strength level. It even contains a diet plan, but if you already have that down the weight training program will definitely get you off to a great start. I did it and began seeing definition all over my body by the 6th week and every weight work out lasts 45 min. max 4xs week and cardio 3xs week 20 min of high intensity.
    Check out the website at bodyforlife.com and see all the positives.
    Happy weight training!